Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-17-2007, 07:49 PM   #1
peachbub
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
midwives in the DC area?

hey mamas,

preggo with #3 here and new to the DC area (silver spring, md). we had a fabulous experience with a birth center in the philly area with dd and would love to find something similar around here. my labor with dd was extremely quick (3 hours from first contraction to babe in arms) and so i'm wary of having to drive very far (since we'll have to get someone to watch the kids again this time, what if dh is at work, etc). all i can find is birthcare in alexandria and that feels too far away for me to be comfortable with. does anyone know of any good midwife practices that deliver at holy cross hospital? or any alternative birth options near silver spring? many thanks in advance!!

Advertisement

Old 09-17-2007, 08:25 PM   #2
RedneckWoman
Banned

My Mood:
Re: midwives in the DC area?

There are two birthing centers in the Annapilis area and one is attached to Anne Arundel Med. Ctr.. Also, birthcare in Alex. does homebirths if you are interested. I looked into it for my last. I *think* there are some birth centers in the Millersville area as well. Seriously, this sounds dumb, but try the local yellow pages, that's how I found a few. Also call the one in Anne Arundel and talk to their doulas, they were loads of knowledge.

HTH
RedneckWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 08:31 PM   #3
JaylasMommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

Wow! I didn't think there were any in this area. Haha. Therefore, I'm in no help. But, I am in the area. I'll see if I can look some up for you. I know this is going to sound bad, but there aren't many "Natural Mommies" in this area.
JaylasMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 08:51 PM   #4
mom2kdmb
Registered Users
seller

There's this one in VA

http://www.birthcare.org/

The Maternity Center in Bethesda closed down
mom2kdmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 10:34 PM   #5
missy_cbell21
Registered Users
seller

i'm in silver spring also i was looking into birthing centers but gave up because i could not find any close enough for my comfort. i would have too drive myself so i'm just gonna stay home. i know there is one in dc that is based on income but i'm not sure if you have too be low income.
here are all the links i kept...
http://www.birthcenters.org/find-a-birth-center/
http://www.specialbeginnings.com/
Old 09-18-2007, 10:34 AM   #6
Mom2Seth
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If you are interested in homebirth I've got a great midwife. Her website is..

www.naturalbeginnings.org

She's in Arlington!
Old 09-18-2007, 10:59 AM   #7
JnSAlger
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: Moore, OK/Chesapeake, VA/Lynbrook, NY/Huntsville, AL/Augusta, GA
My Mood:

Just think of the drive from Silver Springs to Arlington at 430 pm M-F... I don't know if I would be brave enough to chance that.
Old 09-18-2007, 11:14 AM   #8
Auravik
Registered Users

I was visiting relatives in Arlington & had some bfing problems & went to www.breastfeedingcenter.org . They're in DC, but I'm sure they can refer you to people in your area. They were very helpful.
Old 09-18-2007, 11:47 AM   #9
tommysmommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

I'm in Baltimore but know a really great midwife that does homebirths in your area, as well as heard great news about the birthing centers already mentioned above. I'm just jealous that I'm always 'risked out' being an insulin dependent diabetic. We'll see if someone will take me with the next pregnancy if this one goes off without a hitch. We are due any day now with another beautiful baby boy, my third, but our last little angel only stayed with us for a few minutes, so I'll only have 2 to cart around the greater metropolitan area!

Feel free to PM me and I would love to chat sometime too.
tommysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 01:24 PM   #10
peachbub
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

thanks for all your help, mamas!

i saw that the one in bethesda closed down and was really sad about that. it looks like there also used to be one in takoma park that had to close. and yeah, risking a drive to arlington/alexandria in rush hour is not worth it to me ... both of my other babies have come in the middle of the night, but i really don't want a "car" birth!!

homebirth still sounds a little overwhelming to me, but i really don't want to go back to a hospital birth (did that with ds and didn't have a great experience). i was looking at the bethesda birth center site and it looks like their midwives are now delivering out of shady grove hospital ... i would ideally still prefer to deliver closer (at holy cross?), but maybe i could risk getting over to shady grove. anyone have any thoughts on shady grove? thanks so much, mamas!

fun to find some local mamas, too!

Last edited by peachbub; 09-18-2007 at 01:43 PM.
peachbub is offline   Reply With Quote