Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-17-2007, 08:54 PM   #1
momto4monkeys
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
what happens if you have a cavity and dont take care of it

I found out I have 4 one in each molar I have never had a cavity before so this came as quite a shock I do not have the money to get them fixed right now what will happen in the mean time ??????????????

Advertisement

Old 09-17-2007, 08:55 PM   #2
Green~Mammy
Banned

Re: what happens if you have a cavity and dont take care of it

Well the longer they are in there the worse they get which can lead to root canals which are petty pricey. Contact your local dental school they have reduced rates or see if a dentist would be willing to work out a payment plan.
Green~Mammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 09:07 PM   #3
Mommy2LivandNoah
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Trust me..its MUCH cheaper to get tiny fillings, then to have to do root canals on each of them. I have had 4 root canals myself and they are each over 600 per molar! Then you have to pay for crowns on top of that, and for my dentist he charges 875 per crown. I had 2 rootcanals today and I wish I had just dealt with the cavity when it was little and not let it get so blown out of perportion!
Old 09-17-2007, 09:09 PM   #4
Fither
Registered Users
seller
seller

BAD BAD things happen mama! four fillings are pricey, but mere pocket change compared to four root canals, which is what they will turn into. and if you catch them before it gets to root canal stage, you could still be looking at having to have them crowned. very $$$$$$.

i should know, i used to have perfect teeth, and then all of a sudden i had a dozen cavities. i didn't take care of them right away b/c i couldn't "afford" it. i'm scheduled for the third phase of my four phase treatment plan in the morning. when i'm finished i will have had 11 fillings, one root canal, and three crowns, to the tune of about $5000. AND the two teeth that needed to be crowned will most likely end up being root canals later in life, another couple of thousand right there.

i strongly strongly encourage you to find a way to afford it. in just one year a cavity can go from "just" a filling, to a root canal plus a crown.

it sucks, trust me i know, but i will never allow myself to not get dental work done right away anymore.
Fither is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 09:10 PM   #5
Bobbie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Also if you leave them and they get bigger.Your tooth will actually split in half and break out.My mom has neglected her and my nieces and this happened to them both!! So get them done now momma!!
Bobbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 09:12 PM   #6
sweetietooth
I *heart* fresh fluff.
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green~Mammy View Post
...the worse they get which can lead to root canals...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2LivandNoah View Post
...then to have to do root canals...

Definitely fix the cavities pronto! I had a root canal, and then had that same root canal redone, and then had a surgery on the dumb thing because it didn't heal right. Soooooo much more $$ than just fixing a cavity!

GL
Old 09-17-2007, 09:12 PM   #7
Ooey
Full of Surprises
seller

"Your teeth will rot out of your head and fall out leaving a huge black hole in your mouth and possibly causing years of constant pain..." quoting DH on this
#3 Coming Oct. 2015!
Ooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 09:13 PM   #8
mama2six
Registered Users
Formerly: mama2five

My Mood:

Some how, some way, Get Them Fixed!!!!!!

This is very embarassing for me, but here it is.

Over the course of 1998-2005 my teeth detioriated more and more with each pregnancy. One cavity led to another to another to another until eventually my teeth were literally rotting and falling apart. It got to the point where it was so painful I couldn't even hardly brush anymore. It didn't take long and they would get infected/abcessed. It was pure hell. I didn't have dental insurance, or the means to go in and get them fixed. By October of 2005 I was in such severe pain every single day that I couldn't even hardly care for my children. It was then I Finally got to go to the dentist. Not 1 of my teeth could be saved by that point. In Dec. 2005 I had all my back teeth removed, then on February 6 2006 I had all my front teeth removed and got my dentures. At 29 years old..........I got dentures. I'm 30 now...........and I have dentures. The only good part.........no more pain. But it is sooooooo not something you want to go through. In the end it cost me over $6,000.00 that I am still working on paying off. I couldn't eat for days after each surgery because even the slightest touch to my sore mouth was excruciating. It took over 2 months for me to actually be able to chew again.

Trust me, find a way to go NOW. The longer you wait, the worse and more expensive it's going to get. I am truly truly blessed that with the infections, none went into my bloodstream, because it would have been a much worse outcome.

Good luck to you, I hope you can find someone that will work with you on some sort of payment plan.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:19 PM   #9
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

get them fixed quickly, find a dentist with good refernces and ask about payment plans, i got 2 root canals last year, although they didn't hurt, they are $1500/tooth. good thing i have meci-cal.
hope you can find a good dentist and get them taken care of quickly mama, it will ONLY get worse
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 09:20 PM   #10
Fither
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2five View Post
Some how, some way, Get Them Fixed!!!!!!

This is very embarassing for me, but here it is.

Over the course of 1998-2005 my teeth detioriated more and more with each pregnancy. One cavity led to another to another to another until eventually my teeth were literally rotting and falling apart. It got to the point where it was so painful I couldn't even hardly brush anymore. It didn't take long and they would get infected/abcessed. It was pure hell. I didn't have dental insurance, or the means to go in and get them fixed. By October of 2005 I was in such severe pain every single day that I couldn't even hardly care for my children. It was then I Finally got to go to the dentist. Not 1 of my teeth could be saved by that point. In Dec. 2005 I had all my back teeth removed, then on February 6 2006 I had all my front teeth removed and got my dentures. At 29 years old..........I got dentures. I'm 30 now...........and I have dentures. The only good part.........no more pain. But it is sooooooo not something you want to go through. In the end it cost me over $6,000.00 that I am still working on paying off. I couldn't eat for days after each surgery because even the slightest touch to my sore mouth was excruciating. It took over 2 months for me to actually be able to chew again.

Trust me, find a way to go NOW. The longer you wait, the worse and more expensive it's going to get. I am truly truly blessed that with the infections, none went into my bloodstream, because it would have been a much worse outcome.

Good luck to you, I hope you can find someone that will work with you on some sort of payment plan.
so sorry about your teeth mama. i'm glad you're not in pain anymore, but not being able to afford proper dental care is something no one should go through. been there, done that, and i'm paying the price for it now as well.
Fither is offline   Reply With Quote