Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-18-2007, 11:42 AM   #1
CrunchyMama0607
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Red face Just wondering....

I plan on going natural this time around and not going to the hospital until I *have* to....BUT

the hospital I'll be delivering at is about a 30min drive and the baby is due at the end of december (eek, snow!) I'm wondering when I should leave for the hospital? (its the only hosp i trust to give birth at)

(eta: i never went into labor on my own with dd so i dunno what to expect w/timing contractions etc....) someone help me~I think I'm finally starting to PANICK

Advertisement

Old 09-18-2007, 11:53 AM   #2
zenmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Just wondering....

i went to the hosp when contraction were 5 minutes apart and i lost the mucus plug.
my hosp was 1 hr away.
I gave birth 8 hours later.

eta: have you cosidered taking childbirth prep classes?
Denise, wife to Mike since 6-15-2002, PTWOHM and College Student Mommy to Samuel Wyatt (8-24-04) (who has a blue belt in Shaolin Kung-Fu) and cding, co-sleeping Andrea Rachelle (10-11-06) (Our Celiac Disease, Seizure having beauty queen).
Maybe you're offended b/c you know it's the truth!
zenmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 11:56 AM   #3
CrunchyMama0607
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

that sounds good-maybe ill do that as for childbirth classes-i took a few at the local hosp when pg with dd then we moved so i didnt get to finish them. i'd do it this time but it'd be impossible to get there -sigh- with dh's work and dd. i have a natural childbirth bk-i need to start reading it lol
Old 09-18-2007, 12:32 PM   #4
sourpatch_babe
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If you can learn to tell how dilated you are, that can help you out. I didn't know that I was in labor until the doctor told me so at a weekly checkup. Unfortunately since the doctor broke my water I don't know what to tell you about when to go to the hospital. But, have you considered an unassisted homebirth? It might be something to look into since you can always tell them that you "didn't" know you were so far along.
Dear Baby in my Belly, Please come out. Seriously. It's like a 100 degrees here, IN CANADA. Your dad has taken to calling me puffy. I get that you're a dude and the last thing you want to do is leave a place you're going to spend the rest of your life trying to get back into, but enough. Your room is really cool, come out and see it. Sincerely, Love Mummy
sourpatch_babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 02:38 PM   #5
~happy2Bamommy~
Four things come not back: The spoken word; the sped arrow; the past life; and the neglected opportunity.
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

You'll know when the time comes~

Every labor and delivery is different.. I would say that when contractions start getting strong enough that you no longer feel like talking through them it woudl be a good idea to head in.

It would be great to learn how to check yourself so you can actually tell how far you are progressing.. If you all of a sudden get chilly and kinda shivery feeling you will have made it to transition and if you get that far I wouldn't bother loading up and trying to make it to the hospital

Have you looked into having a Midwife or do you have your heart set on a hospital birth?

~happy2Bamommy~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 03:04 PM   #6
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

you'll just know mama, when i went into labor with my son i actually wasn't sure what to expect, he was the first and my water broke that EARLY morning at 1am, i didn't wake up dh until 5am and didn't call my dr til 7am, the hospital i delivered him at was only 15 minutes away and we don't get snow in the part of cali i'm form so we headed to the hospital, the hard ctrx didn't start til 9am and my son was born at 2pm, it was really weird how it all happen, but for me i just felt i needed to go but didnt want to "wake' the dr so early, i wouldnt recomend that though..lol
if i were to have another natural birth i'd go as soon as the crtx got hard and you can barely talk/breath/stand since you get snow i'd give about 45 minutes ot get there safely. if things start going fast call 911, they will send a police officer to clear traffic and also if you end up delivering fast they are trained to deliver babies
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 03:29 PM   #7
itsymama
Registered
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~happy2Bamommy~ View Post
You'll know when the time comes~

Every labor and delivery is different.. I would say that when contractions start getting strong enough that you no longer feel like talking through them it woudl be a good idea to head in.

It would be great to learn how to check yourself so you can actually tell how far you are progressing.. If you all of a sudden get chilly and kinda shivery feeling you will have made it to transition and if you get that far I wouldn't bother loading up and trying to make it to the hospital

Have you looked into having a Midwife or do you have your heart set on a hospital birth?

itsymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 03:41 PM   #8
CrunchyMama0607
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

thanks mommas good advice!

as for a homebirth...we rent so i wouldnt wanna do it here LOL and stain the carpet or get attached to this place then have to move. plus, i cannot afford a midwife and dh is 10000% anti-homebirth. and im not that brave lol
Old 09-18-2007, 07:03 PM   #9
stayinhomewithmy6
Registered Users
Formerly: stayinhomewithmy5
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrunchyMama0607 View Post
thanks mommas good advice!

as for a homebirth...we rent so i wouldnt wanna do it here LOL and stain the carpet or get attached to this place then have to move. plus, i cannot afford a midwife and dh is 10000% anti-homebirth. and im not that brave lol
You're not the only one that's not that brave. I'm not either.
If you were induced with your DD, you can't compare that labor to this one, assuming this one is not induced. With my firstborn I was induced, and then with my 2nd I wasn't and I kept waiting for labor to really start, then all of a sudden I was at 10 and was pushing and labor wasn't any bit as bad as it had been with my first. Then, when my 2nd DS was born, I was induced too, even though I tried my best to avoid it, but again, it was WAY worse than my natural labor with DD. SO, if you were induced, don't wait for the contractions to get as bad as they did that first time or you'll be havin' that baby at home! LOL!
stayinhomewithmy6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 07:05 PM   #10
CrunchyMama0607
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

LOL thanks, good advice!