Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-20-2007, 01:13 PM   #11
doberbrat
Registered Users
seller

Re: Baby at the Airport

For the airport, you want something that has no metal. So, while I love my patapum, it has metal snaps and was not an option. So, For the airport, I used my Eden MT on my back. I was not required to remove her either in/outbound. But, on the way home, they did take a swab of the carrier. I was mad b/c they didnít ask, they just wiped but they *happened* to get the precise spot where dd likes to suck on Ö so, my eden was a great choice b/c its comfy and easy to wash/dry.

An ssc is a soft structured carrier. It is completely soft but has some structure (unlike a framed backpack). I LOVE LOVE LOVE my toddler patapum b/c its super easy to put on/off and is super comfy. I also have an a

Personally, Iíd never take a framed backpack. Too big/bulky (nevermind comfort level) That virtually guarentees youíll have to take it off and will just be a hassle. If you take something w/o metal, thereís a good chance you wont have to remove baby (just their shoes).

If youíre nursing, remember to take something you can easily nurse in. I actually went through the security checkpoint nursing. I think the guard was a little surprised when he peeked in to make sure it was really a baby and she sat up and looked at him but oh well. When I was picking the airport carrier, I made sure it was nursing friendly which my ssc arenít that great for.

Advertisement

Mamma to the best dd 10/05 and Expecting #2 edd 11/29/09 and 2 furkids!
doberbrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 01:15 PM   #12
maddysmom
Registered Users

My Mood:

I have had my 9mo old DD on 11 flights so far, and numerous security checks. I have not had to take her out of her BabyHawk mei-tai once. They just ask me if there are any metal parts on it (which there are not). I just make sure I have taken my belt, cell phone and watch off and put it in the tray to be scanned.

The biggest hassle I get is over her formula with an ice-pack, they keep on wanting to take the ice-pack away but her formula needs to be kept cold at all times. So I have to carry the storage instructions from the manufacturer with me and then they let me through with it.
maddysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 01:48 PM   #13
Calideedle
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I just flew to WA & back to CA and never had to take my DD (21months, 25lbs) out of her Mei Tai. As long as it isnt metal & you dont have a jacket on underneath you dont have to take your LO out.

I loved the MT while traveling!
Old 09-20-2007, 01:56 PM   #14
kymdenise
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well that's good to know.. DD will be 18 mo when we go, so she's just on regular old milk. When I flew with my last baby, we ended up with hours worth of delays, so thank goodness I was bfing! I can't wait to get my carrier.. I am ordering from a WAHM here, just waiting to see some new fabrics... I HATE Waiting!
Cautiously expecting number 5 in October
kymdenise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 02:16 PM   #15
CHMiss
Registered Users

My Mood:

I am in shock as to many of you have gone through airport security with a baby in a MT without any trouble. Granted, we typically fly internationally but I never never ever got to keep DS in the MT to get through the metal detector. They couldn't care less if he's asleep or not and what's more... they made me remove his Robeez once when he was 3 months old! Off my soapbox!

I usally travel with a stroller to carry junk around but I also take my Hotsling and my MT to travel. It's much more convenient
CHMiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 03:13 PM   #16
Irishmommy
Registered Users
seller

I too have ALWAYS had to take my baby out of the carrier! So, I always take a pouch or RS for the airport, or stroller, because it can also carry the diaper bag.
*****No longer anxiously awaiting Aiden - He's HERE!!****
Irishmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 08:14 AM   #17
Steve's Wife
Registered Users
seller

Yes, you may have to take your baby out. For some reason BWI (Baltimore-Washington International, MAJOR hub) doesn't make me as long as we don't beep, but Columbus always does. I've slown by myself with DD twice, the first time when she was three months old, and I was PISSED when they made me take a sleeping baby from the sling and wake her up. Grrr...they didn't bother at BWI.

I like the Ella Roo mai hip for older babes. Super easy to get them in an out. I like my Beco for a toddler back carry, but I have yet to master that on my own. DH has to out her in it. I don't think I would do a back carry at the airport alone unless it was a frame backpack. They make ones that are also strollers. Don't know where in the world to find them, but I've seen them in use.

Anyway, here's what I did the last time we flew, which may or may not be possible for you, and may offend you Since DD is a very active toddler (she was 15 months old at the time) I knew I'd never get her to sit still on the plane if she's been strapped to me or in a stroller, so I got one of those backpack harness thingies so she could walk. I was carrying two jackets and two carry-on bags, so I really couldn't hold her hand anyway. She was fine and was nice and worn out from walking though the airport, and even ended up falling asleep on my lap during the flight!
Steve's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 08:55 AM   #18
YnotBhappy
Registered Users

I know a lot of people will not recommend Ergo anymore, but I still will. (not wanting to start another debate on this here)

The good thing is that you can rent them instead of shelling out $95 + for a SSC. I think on their homepage you can rent them for pretty cheap. And I LOVE MINE! You probably would not want to return it!
YnotBhappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 12:32 PM   #19
madmacksmommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by YnotBhappy View Post
I know a lot of people will not recommend Ergo anymore, but I still will. (not wanting to start another debate on this here)

The good thing is that you can rent them instead of shelling out $95 + for a SSC. I think on their homepage you can rent them for pretty cheap. And I LOVE MINE! You probably would not want to return it!
I love my ERGO too! When we flew over Labor Day weekend, I was able to keep dd in it while going through security.
Old 09-22-2007, 05:53 AM   #20
kflowerfly
Registered Users

My Mood:
Thumbs up Re: Baby at the Airport

Quote:
Originally Posted by babydirtybike View Post
Depending on airport security people, you may end up dragging you little one in and out of the carrier and a pouch or RS makes that much easier.

For the longer stints in the park when you LO might fall asleep and it's easier on you, I totally agree with a ssc or mei tai (or wrap if you are feeling ambitious )
hi there, , this past summer our family took a very looooooong trip to all over the country and we camped, flew a million times, anyhow.... My weapon of choice was the ERGO! I found this picture for you:

it is not my family but it looks like what we did. anyhow, you don't have to buy and ERGO, you can just rent it for your trip! go to www.thehomegrownfamily.com you can actually talk with them on the phone, they are really nice. I got my ERGO from them...

About airport security, I passed through many ! and I didn't even have to take my LO out of the carrier! =o)

Last edited by kflowerfly; 09-22-2007 at 05:54 AM. Reason: adding info
kflowerfly is offline   Reply With Quote