Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-19-2007, 12:17 PM   #1
wyandemma
Registered Users
seller
seller

THRUSH

HI all! I've never posted in this forum before, but i figured now is as good a time as any! I just found out yesterday my DD has thrush! She seems to be doing fine, except for a yucky diaper rash... but, I'm in misery! My boobs are killing me! So much so that I dread feedings! I love breastfeeding... i plan to do it till she stops, but this thrush has got me wishing she was older so she'd just stop already.. kwim? Ugh... and i feel horrible for it! I'm taking acidopholus and she's been eating yogurt, so hopefully it starts to clear up soon, but idk how much more I can take! Tell me I can do it!!! LOL! Does anyone have any natural remedies for helping w/ the soreness? Any help is appreciated! THANKS!!

Advertisement

Old 09-19-2007, 12:29 PM   #2
sweetietooth
I *heart* fresh fluff.
seller

Re: THRUSH

A friend thought my first DS so I called my peds nurse line and the nurse suggested a natural remedy, oh, it was Blue something-or-other and it literally turned his mouth a lovely shade of purple/blue. I can't remember the name, obviously, but I'm sure if you ask a pharmasist (sp? whatever!) they could lead you in the right direction. The blue stuff was a topical thing you put in the LOs mouth a couple of times a day - maybe after a feeding? Sorry, it was nearly 3 years ago! HTH....
Old 09-19-2007, 12:34 PM   #3
kannondicarpo
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetietooth View Post
A friend thought my first DS so I called my peds nurse line and the nurse suggested a natural remedy, oh, it was Blue something-or-other and it literally turned his mouth a lovely shade of purple/blue. I can't remember the name, obviously, but I'm sure if you ask a pharmasist (sp? whatever!) they could lead you in the right direction. The blue stuff was a topical thing you put in the LOs mouth a couple of times a day - maybe after a feeding? Sorry, it was nearly 3 years ago! HTH....
Gentian violet...

NAK

Charlene Keala || 9.27.10, Zakary Michael || 10.25.12 & Baby "Momomi" || October 2014 ~

Loving life on the Big Island!
kannondicarpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 01:02 PM   #4
sweetietooth
I *heart* fresh fluff.
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannondicarpo View Post
Gentian violet...

NAK
YES! That was it. Gentian violet! Oh, man did it stain everything. But we now have some funny pictures.

Hey, kannondicarpo - your DS and I have the same birthday! My baby DS is two weeks younger - he was a great present! (or getting him out was, LOL )
Old 09-19-2007, 01:06 PM   #5
Deb60604
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannondicarpo View Post
Gentian violet...

NAK
But you don't need to put it in the baby's mouth, which could be tricky!--just paint your nipples with it and the baby will get it while nursing. Be careful--it stains like crazy. I put vaseline on DD's face to keep it from turning her whole face blue (yes, it was that bad). But it did work. It also seems to help with the soreness.
Deb60604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 01:08 PM   #6
kannondicarpo
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetietooth View Post
YES! That was it. Gentian violet! Oh, man did it stain everything. But we now have some funny pictures.

Hey, kannondicarpo - your DS and I have the same birthday! My baby DS is two weeks younger - he was a great present! (or getting him out was, LOL )
That's neat. Nikolas was my late b-day present. LOL. My b-day is 3-15. He was 11 days early.

Charlene Keala || 9.27.10, Zakary Michael || 10.25.12 & Baby "Momomi" || October 2014 ~

Loving life on the Big Island!
kannondicarpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 04:15 PM   #7
chpiper
Registered Users
Formerly: Mom&BabyNaturally
seller

My Mood:

We had great results using garlic (for me) and grapefruit seed extract (for both We had tried gentian violet before, and I had it everywhere!! Just make sure if you are using it, you never redip a cotton swab in it....you'll spread the thrush to the entire bottle! The GSE worked better than Nystantin (sp?) and Diflucan did with my previous dd. Motherlove also makes a really nice diaper rash and thrush treatment.
Take care,
Kara
www.momandbabynaturally.com
Affordable Babywearing, Cloth Diapering, and Natural Mom and Baby Care Products
chpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 04:33 PM   #8
wyandemma
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by chpiper View Post
We had great results using garlic (for me) and grapefruit seed extract (for both We had tried gentian violet before, and I had it everywhere!! Just make sure if you are using it, you never redip a cotton swab in it....you'll spread the thrush to the entire bottle! The GSE worked better than Nystantin (sp?) and Diflucan did with my previous dd. Motherlove also makes a really nice diaper rash and thrush treatment.
Take care,
Kara
Affordable Babywearing, Cloth Diapering, and Natural Mom and Baby Care Products

I had just read a pm from a friend about grapefruit seed extract... and how did you use the garlic? just take some garlic capsules? I'm going to the store tomorrow to get some of that grapefruitseed extract for sure!
Old 09-19-2007, 08:34 PM   #9
luvmy2girls
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

GV has always worked quickly for us...apply it twice a day to the affected area on baby and to your nipples. Don't use it longer than a week, it should work before that. Probiotics for both you and baby. Cut down/out sugar from your diet. Yeast feeds on sugar. Be careful if you choose to do GSE- it has a very bad/strong taste that babies don't like. GL
Old 09-20-2007, 08:43 AM   #10
geckoed
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

get a clean container (a sippy cup, a baby bottle, a clean jelly jar, etc) put 4oz of warm water in it. Add a tablespoon of baking soda. Shake well. get a clean washcloth. Dip a corner into the sodawater, wipe out your LO's mouth. Dip a fresh corner, wipe your nipples. Pour a bit on the cloth, or use a fresh one (better idea) and wipe diaper area. Repeat 4-6x/day for 4 days, then 3x/day for 4 days, then twice a day for 4 days.

Get a spray bottle. Fill w/ 8oz water, 4 drops of tto or gse and 2 drops lav. Spray dipes before tossing into pail.