Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-18-2006, 12:34 PM   #11
LuAnn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How did you learn of cloth?

A friend used it and before I was close friends with her her oldes ds was in a daycare I taught at and her little ds was in cloth. The more I got to know her the more I wanted to use cloth
LuAnn

Advertisement

Old 07-18-2006, 12:38 PM   #12
keegans_mommy
I had the CD wagon impounded!
seller

My Mood:

I learned about cloth and the many options cloth has to offer in a hot debate between sposie's and cloth
Old 07-18-2006, 12:39 PM   #13
aept
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

In my line of work (physical therapist for little ones, mostly birth - three years), I meet a lot of families! One family I used to work with used AIO's on their then-9-month-old. At the time, I thought it was kind of wierd, but it interested me enough for me to start thinking about it - that there were alternatives to sposies, at least. It certainly helped that the AIOs were really cute with fun patterns - and I saw them change a couple and it looked really easy. Flash forward to about one year ago when we started to TTC - at this point in time, I still worked with the family. Once I found out I was pregnant - I started asking them ? about the cloth, and doing a lot of online research. (That's how I found DS!) I was fully prepared to have to make all kinds of convincing arguments for dh to "go along" with it, but he thought it was a great idea right from the first mention of it! I think it helped that his own Mom CD'd all three of them (and washed her own dipes), including his youngest sister who just turned 21 (and that was pretty rare for anyone to "still be using cloth diapers" by then, I've been told!) He is the oldest and was helping with the laundry by then - 10 or 11. So, we've been planning on CD for at least several months now - and I've just started working on our NB stash. Some of our friends think we're crazy, but we'll show them! Wish us luck!
aept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 12:52 PM   #14
raceNzanesmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My mom did cloth on every child she cared for, so cloth seemed natural to me. When my first was born 13 years ago I tried to do Gerber prefolds and (I think) Dappi wraps. I couldn't figure out how to fold them small enough, everything leaked, I was using a wet pail , it just wasn't what I expected. I quickly gave up. Over the years I met many online moms on my car seat board that used cloth. Nearly all used fitteds, pockets or AIOs. The ones that used prefolds raved about CPF, Snappis and leak proof covers. When I started thinking about TTC Zane, maybe even before, I found http://www.diaperpages.com which lead me to other sites which lead me to KNOW I would use cloth. Once we started TTC I showed my dh, he was IMPRESSED. I had a HUGE stash when Zane was born and he's been he cloth since he left the NICU. I had planned to do cloth at the hospital, but with Zane being early, in the NICU, we just moved into our new house the weekend before, etc it was too much to worry about. I LOVE CLOTH! Wish I'd known what I know now when my oldest was born. Wish I had a few more babes to use cloth, but that isn't likely.

CPS Tech to all- Need car seat/booster help? EMAIL me.
raceNzanesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 12:54 PM   #15
masonite
Whip Crackin Wagon Driver!
seller

My Mood:

I've always been pretty crunchy, so nobody was really suprised when I switched--but I do still get comments from DH's brothers...

I wish, however, that I would have "known" about cloth 3 1/2 years ago when I had my first!

I found cloth through some online friends. One of my friends is pretty crunchy herself---after she had her baby (about the same age as mine), she started converting to cloth. I heard her talk about "fuzzi bunz". So, I did some research...and I immediately became an addict!

It helped that we had/have a lot of medical debt. My ds (Camden) has a lot of medical problems, and spent a lot of time in the hospital. Changing to cloth just gave me a good economical excuse.

My mom, DH's mom have been very supportive. They think it's really great, and I'll often hear them telling other people that we use cloth and how "neat" it is. None of my siblings are supportive--they aren't crunchy at all, LOL! But, I don't really care whether people approve or not. The fact that they are talking about it is one step in the right direction.

Camden's Dr absolutely LOVES them. He makes people come in the room to see them, and is always gushing about them. I'm hoping that will help other want to become cloth converts like me!
Old 07-18-2006, 01:05 PM   #16
CMamma
Registered Users
seller

I was at a Coast Guard get-together for the families. I heard some of the wives "gossipping" & putting this other wife down b/c she was a "breastfeeding nazi" & "can't believe she has the nerve to nurse in public like that" & "she's crazy for cloth diapering." People asked me to chime in on the discussion (I was the "new" wife since we just moved there)... I said "That sounds so neat!" & everyone looked at me like I was nuts. I asked who she was, they pointed her out & I went to go find her. I actually said "So do you cloth diaper?" or something like that - she was so great about talking about it & I was converted in a heartbeat. She gave me a snappi (I'd never seen or heard of one) & then a couple days later sent a piece of paper home w/my hubby w/a discount code for an online store. Within days I'd ordered all my dipes for 2 kids from birth to potty training... I just took her word for it that PFs & Litewraps are the best - AND I LOVE THEM! Anyway... her husband since then has left the Coast Guard but I still talk w/her now & again. Now I'm the new "breastfeeding & cloth diapering nazi" wife. Whatever! I say let them gossip about me! That will make another momma say "How neat!" & come find me. I've already had another wife contact me about it & she's converting too - word of mouth sure does work! Whether it's good or bad.

I guess that just goes to show you - any form of advertising is good advertising!
Old 07-18-2006, 01:09 PM   #17
Fuzzi Fannies Creations
Temptress of Fuzzi Fannies Diapers
seller

My Mood:

I was at the airport and saw another lady that had a carrier, I asked her about it and got the website from her to go buy one for me (never had one before) and when I was buyin it there was a banner add for Cloth Diapers... it all snowballed from there..lol
Old 07-18-2006, 01:10 PM   #18
9800Emily
Registered Users
seller

My poor baby had a rash from sposies before she even left the hospital. The nurses told me just to wrap her in blankets with no diaper because her skin was to sensitive for the diaper right now. Well after 6 weeks of buying and trying every kind of sposies made, the doctor said "you know, you could use cloth diapers" Why didn't we think of that sooner. The doc said that her sister used cloth diaper and she would talk to her and find out what kind and where to get them. It was our doc that told us about Fuzzi bunz. I then googled fuzzi bunz and found diaper swappers. After that, I found the cloth , and will never use a sposie again.
Old 07-18-2006, 01:15 PM   #19
marelle4381
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Wow it's so awesome to hear everyones stories. It seems like most of us all found out the same way.... Word of mouth. Let's keep it going!!!
Old 07-18-2006, 01:28 PM   #20
mommypooh
Registered Users

Well I got into it, in an odd way. I started using the gerber prefolds and pins when My DD had a rash at a couple of weeks old and everytime we had a rash I put her in the gerber prefolds. Then my DS came along and we did the same thing, I then found a woman on Freecycle that had some to get rid of, they were left from when she has the service, there were also plactic pants and one nice cover in there, SO that is how I started and I kept going just using gerber prefolds, and the few that I got from that woman, and I went cloth full time, I bought a few items here and there but we never really had the money, I started to try to make my own fitteds, and they worked but I didn't like them and I had a bad batch of elastci so it was shot in 3-5 washes and that was the end of those, I tried making some pockets, Hated havign to stuff them, Then When tax season came around this year I bought a crap load of PUL, and Made my own AIO's which I am totally in love with. I bought a snap press and passed all my cheapie diapers on to another mama. I am getting ready to make the next size up for my DS and that should be the last I will make.
mommypooh is offline   Reply With Quote