Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-22-2007, 06:06 PM   #51
Ellies_Mommy
Registered Users

Re: Any Semi-Crunchy moms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigrid View Post
I'm also probably semi-crunchy.
I wanted a natural birth, but had an emergeny c-section due to breech position entering birth canal. I wanted to BF, but ended up bottle feeding due to difficulty for my DS to latch and get enough in him -next time I hope! We are CD'ing, eat organic when we can afford it, vaccinating, CIO to a degree, bw'ing part-time, and co-slept for the first three months. We do enjoy eating out, but are looking for better options - and they are growing, yeh! I desperately want to move to the country and grow my own veggies, etc., but that is waiting on $$. Currently, i am SAHM, but may be returning to work PT - I haven't decided yet!
I was a SAHM for 7 months and had to go back to work for $$ reasons and I hate that I am not home with her, but I know that it will make things better for us overall, so that makes it feel better I guess. And we grow a lot of our own herbs and verggies and some fruits too (our strawberries and blackberries were soooooooo good this year!!) And i love that! It is sooo much better and you can grow so many different things on your own other than just buying what is at the grocery store.

Advertisement

Ellies_Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 06:26 PM   #52
MamaF
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyfish View Post
My signature has the word "semi-crunchy" in it!

My MAJOR loss of crunch points is that I no longer cloth diaper. I feel kind of like a hypocrite being a member of DiaperSwappers.. but I really just CAN'T anymore. The nearest laundromat in my latest apartment is forever away and I don't have transportation of my own, it won't save me money if I go to a laundromat, etc... so I use sposies.

I don't co-sleep... I did, but when Jed was 4.5 months old, neither he nor I could get a good night's sleep when co-sleeping. He'd wake up every 1/2 hour or every hour to nurse, and we'd both wake up tired & cranky. He won't even let me sleep in the same room!

I had a hospital birth and loved it -- I guess I am one of the only mamas in existence who had a charmed hospital experience. Staff was very nice, not super pushy about anything, I had a wonderfully easy labor, no episiotomy, wonderful LCs working 24/7, and frankly, I loved my epidural. I do feel that society does kind of make women feel like they CAN'T handle the pain of childbirth, and I know I *can*, and it makes me feel like a wimp that I don't want to --but I just don't want to! I almost feel ashamed to admit this, but I'd probably go for the epidural again, as much as I want a homebirth in the water... I LIKE the epidural!

I do breastfeed, baby-wear, and feed my child mostly organic food made by me (bbq tempeh w/sauteed mushrooms is a staple here!). I'd still be co-sleeping if I could. I have not had any vaccinations for my son since his 2-month appointment and probably will not have him vaccinated for anything for at least another year (he is 12 months old now), if ever. I did not circumcise my son and there is no way in h*ll I would EVER circumcise a child. I didn't feed Jed any solids until he was 7 mos old, and he didn't start really eating until he was 9 mos old. I can't let my son CIO even if I wanted to... hearing him cry just makes my heart pound and ache. I am all about gentle disciplining as well, though he's really too young for ANY discipline at this point... I even got my boyfriend to stop smacking his 18-month-old daughter's hands when she touched something off-limits, showing him research that indicated it could hinder her motor development.

i'm with you mom, I loved both my hospital births...my hospital and the nursing staff is fantastic and they never argue with what you want (except one nurse with my DS my last few hours there..lol).

I don't know what i am...I seem to be opposite in both directions...lol

i am a Babywise mamma and proud of it....that resulted (IMO) both my DC never having to cry for anything as babies...wake, diaper, fed, play, sleep, wake, diaper, fed, play, sleep...and so they knew what was coming next. EDIT we did let them fuss themselves back to sleep at night when needed and we did not jump at every sound

We vax, but our family practice Dr. is great about not just giving out the new one's just b/c so he really helps there.

Circ. b/c that is what we believe the Bible tells us to do.

Cding to save money and you all make it look soo fun (just starting)

not co-sleeping (except we do co-sleeper in room as long as babies allow) b/c neither kids nor us slept well at all

want to try mamma pads (let me know what's good and where to get them ladies)

BFing b/c it's what my mom did, i enjoy it, always thought formula was for if you couldn't BF, saves money...DD EBF till 6months BF till 18months (only stopped b/c i was in hospital for week, hubby was out of town, and so called friend said it was time for her to ween anyway and wouldn't bring her in at breastfeeding times..grrrr)...DS EBF right now and 6months not sure how long will EBF still deciding on that

Made own babyfood b/c easier and cheaper...had jars for traveling.

not much if any organic here, every time i think about organic milk for DD and see price and look at bank account we don't try....heard about buying from local farms...might look into that

Buy cleaning and other household products from a wellness company (DD once shot the cleaner in her eyes and face and didn't even cry) It's cheaper for us and switching to the chemical free has cleared up DH's exzema problems

had in-home daycare to SAH with DD, currently don't work, but need the money so i'll be WAH for the eye Dr. i used to work for years ago

I want to homeschool, but we may switch to the school at our church, public when kids are older if they want for more selection on sports...

Can't think of anything else at the moment..this was fun...

EDIT..forgot these
can't babywear b/c of my back, but i hold them a lot

unmedicated births for both DC

Last edited by MamaF; 09-22-2007 at 07:48 PM. Reason: adding
MamaF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 06:53 PM   #53
tmfletch
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would probably be considered a "semi crunchy" mama too. I also CD, occasionally babywear, buy some organic, make my own baby food, pregnant and still BF'ing, had an unmedicated childbirth, obsessively recycle, use many "natural" products....

I think that we may do some things the AP way and others not so much so.We DID NOT co-sleep- it just did not work for us. DD would not sleep soundly when she was in bed with us and slept much better in a small bed that we had next to our bed. We also don't believe so much in dropping everything you are doing if baby cries. I am not saying that we let her scream her lungs out- but if she starts fussing and I am in the middle of doing something- I typically finish what I am doing and then go get her. Also, if she wakes in the middle of the night and fusses a bit, we try to let her fall back to sleep. I think that it's important that babies learn to self soothe sometimes.

What I think is important is to do what works for you and your family. If straight AP doesn't work for you then just take from it what does and tweek the rest to make it work! I think each family is individual and no parenting style is the "right" way.

Keep up the good work Mama!
tmfletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 12:54 AM   #54
ginafer
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytaylor View Post
Well then I guess I am crunchy! As much DH will allow any how. I got 115 points! Probably would have gotten more if eating RAW was an option on #10! And about #9 I would BF while pregnant but I dry up, so no points there.
Joshua 24:15
Ginafer: wife to 1 wonderful husband and mother of 5 gorgeous boys!
ginafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 01:08 AM   #55
ginafer
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flobee76 View Post
I also like chocolate (M&Ms), In-n-Out Burger, and TV shows.
Hey! Don't go rubbing it in that you can have In-n-out whenever you please! The last time I had In-N-Out was in November, last year! We have a wantabe up here in Washington! It's actually pretty good, but truly no comparison!
Joshua 24:15
Ginafer: wife to 1 wonderful husband and mother of 5 gorgeous boys!

Last edited by ginafer; 09-25-2007 at 01:09 AM.
ginafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 10:13 AM   #56
JnSAlger
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: Moore, OK/Chesapeake, VA/Lynbrook, NY/Huntsville, AL/Augusta, GA
My Mood:

According to the test I am crunchy but I think of myself as a parenting moderate. I don't see why people choose to bottle feed when the free tap always works (even in the least bit...I know some moms work) but I do like the idea of sposies. I like going out to Starbucks and buying my kids nice clothes from Gap. I like driving everywhere in my minivan and it was even better in my SUV. I have no problem using my stroller. I think in some aspects vax's have done good and in others done bad. I'm completely against circ'ing but your kid is not my decision. I spank my kids when I think the offense deserves it. I have realized 'positive' discipline doesn't work for us (and I don't think it works on most kids). We co-sleep...and wouldn't have it any other way. I love snuggling with my family. My almost 6 year old still crawls into bed with us some nights.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:14 AM   #57
JnSAlger
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: Moore, OK/Chesapeake, VA/Lynbrook, NY/Huntsville, AL/Augusta, GA
My Mood:

Ohh and I love my double stuffed OREOS!!!!