Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-20-2007, 08:07 PM   #1
jn__
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
OB's with a sordid past?

Would you, or have you see/seen a dr who was sued for misconduct in an ob/gyn setting? An offhand remark and some research has led me to think mine may have been acquitted on some charges in 99... just what I need to end my day.

FTR I liked him very much, he was always thorough and personable. He always has a nurse in the room with him. The nurse always seemed freaked out though. Now I'm nervous.

What are your thoughts on this?? I could see him.. or I could see one or the other of the other 2 partners who absolutely suck. 1 has no bedside manner. This guy put a lot of things together that led to the discovery of some very important things to monitor during my pregnancy, that wouldn't have come out had I not asked him questions.

So it seems like I have a real winner of an ob office here, but what are your thoughts on this specific doctor, given his past? Any experience?? Thanks

Advertisement

Old 09-20-2007, 08:17 PM   #2
MamaToBe84
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: OB's with a sordid past?

the charges are why theres always a nurse in the room.

The nature of the OBGYN profession leaves them open to a lot of lawsuits. Im not saying things dont happen, but keep in mind MANY things could have happened-- a sexually abused woman COULD have had a PTSD episode and miscontrued the situation. Someone oversensitive could have reported him when in fact nothing happened, OR, he could have very well had this misconduct. But, misconduct doesnt necessary mean sexual abuse. Maybe he made a sexist remark to a nurse and she pressed charges? Maybe he gave an opinion to someone who didnt like what he said?

Im not saying any of these are the case, but honestly, why not just ask? If he evades your questions, i would be very leery, but if you might switch anyways, it cant hurt to ask
Old 09-20-2007, 08:24 PM   #3
jn__
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I know that's why there's a nurse in the room, I was just saying, not much can happen unless the nurse was in on it. Here's a ***'d out snippet from one of the many news articles I found on him. I don't wnat to out him or my location unfairly. He has a very unique name, and all of the cities mentioned in the article match his employment history posted on my OB practice web site.

I know, long time ago. also kind of an awkward thing to bring up! I'm judging him based on my own experiences with him but this was kind of a "needle jumped off the record" kind of moment for me.

Quote:
Judge orders trial for former gynecologist
A former **** gynecologist could now face two local trials on charges of molesting five former patients after two more women testified against him Tuesday.
A district judge ruled there is sufficient evidence to try ****, for second- and third-degree criminal sexual conduct for incidents in June and October 1996.
He already faces a circuit court trial in May on charges that he improperly touched three other female patients.
**** had worked for the Medical Arts Group in **** for eight years before he left to practice in **** in April 1997.
He faces two trials in **** on sex charges related to his practice there.
Old 09-20-2007, 08:31 PM   #4
katzmark06
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

umm yeah i would switch.. If not for the thoughts going through his head
Old 09-20-2007, 08:31 PM   #5
MamaToBe84
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh i hope you didnt think i was being like snarky, i was just stating the fact thats why theres a nurse, i didnt think that was something you didnt know

NOW that i see what you found info on, well, thta kind of changes it. Im sure its an awkward thing to bring up, but it is public record, you didnt open any sealed files, ya know? You do have a right to know your doctors background, and if you think you might leave the practice anyways, it sure couldnt hurt anything to ask--whats he going to do, kick you out of the practice? That's be another red flag there too.

I dont personally know what I would do in that situation. I had a very hard time finding an OB i liked (the one before most recent was actually not even board certified, how screwed up is that?!) and I think i would stick with mine (well, after childbirth since im using a midwife for that) no matter what, under normal circumstances...

I would do what your heart tells you. Do you feel hes a danger to you or your child? Do you feel he should not be practicing medicine? Would you feel more comfortable changing practices? Its your choice

Old 09-20-2007, 08:33 PM   #6
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:

With that I would be getting a new OB. I just would not feel comfy with him near my genitals knowing he "could" have molested those women. But that is just me.
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 08:37 PM   #7
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

i don't know mama, a nurse needs to be in the room whether the oB is a male or female though just to be a witness in case anyone tries to say something that may not be true.
improperly touching, now thatis weird to me because being an OB theyre all up in your business area ya know, i would stay depending on my own feelings when i am seen by the dr, if they make you feel weird then find another
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 08:37 PM   #8
jn__
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks. I have had dr's I stuck with that weren't board certified, and to think I felt dirty about THAT

I don't know what to think. I just want this over with. I'll be 37 weeks pregnant on monday, I don't want to switch things up now. The other 2 drs are fine to deal with but they just seem so cold and blah.. and the never bring the charts in the room, or talk to me about anything. However he's been practicing here less than 2 years. This practice, which I used to *love* is absolutely NOTHING compared to what it was when I had my son. And I'm just kind of annoyed that it's all coming out NOW and not 20 weeks ago when I could have really taken the time to research other options. It has only been in the past 3 weeks that I've realized there's virtually no collaboration between drs and that they weren't really analyzing my data and looking for anything. That is a whole other post, though. I just can't believe I'm stuck in this right now

Truth be told I dont' really fear for my child, he seems competent enough, and so do the others, but still. Part of me wants to say just get it done with and never go back again. So I don't know what to think.
Old 09-20-2007, 08:39 PM   #9
jn__
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have also refused any internals, but that doesn't help me during childbirth.. however tehre's usually 300 people in the room for that.
Old 09-20-2007, 08:57 PM   #10
MamaToBe84
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jn__ View Post
Thanks. I have had dr's I stuck with that weren't board certified, and to think I felt dirty about THAT

I don't know what to think. I just want this over with. I'll be 37 weeks pregnant on monday, I don't want to switch things up now. The other 2 drs are fine to deal with but they just seem so cold and blah.. and the never bring the charts in the room, or talk to me about anything. However he's been practicing here less than 2 years. This practice, which I used to *love* is absolutely NOTHING compared to what it was when I had my son. And I'm just kind of annoyed that it's all coming out NOW and not 20 weeks ago when I could have really taken the time to research other options. It has only been in the past 3 weeks that I've realized there's virtually no collaboration between drs and that they weren't really analyzing my data and looking for anything. That is a whole other post, though. I just can't believe I'm stuck in this right now

Truth be told I dont' really fear for my child, he seems competent enough, and so do the others, but still. Part of me wants to say just get it done with and never go back again. So I don't know what to think.
just to add something-- my comment about the doctor not being board certified was more because of the fact that she was absolutely HORRIBLE, and THEN i find out, not board certified, lol.