Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-21-2007, 01:46 AM   #1
missy_cbell21
Registered Users
seller

is this a good deal? (meats)

i recived a "gift recipt" from omaha steaks, including shipping all of this would be $64.98. i am not really interested in the "extras so pretend they are not really there.
4 (5 oz) top sirloins
4 (4oz)boneless pork chops
10 (4oz) steak burgers
4 (4oz) chicken breasts
2 (4 1/2 oz) stuffed sole w/ scallops & crabmeat
8 (3oz) franks
4 (5 1/2 oz) stuffed baked potatoes

and a 6 peice cutlery set.

we can get 2 of these sets at $64 each. i know it sounds good but price wise is it a fair price? i don't really buy alot of higher end meats so this is way out of my experence zone.

Advertisement

Old 09-21-2007, 06:46 AM   #2
redheadedangels
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: is this a good deal? (meats)

sounds pricey to me but we don't buy expensive meats though. If you would normally buy these types of meats then maybe its a good deal to buy it in bulk like this. Sorry i'm not much help!
redheadedangels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 08:05 AM   #3
shell62995
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

ok, i total nerd. i did the math. but i do shop by pricing things down to the ounce. I based my math on prices here in Tx. I know if you shopped around you could find all of these reduced so you might want to factor that in. I never pay full price on anything but I did figure this on regular prices- not sale or reduced except for the steak burgers because I'm not sure of the regular prices.
4 (5 oz) top sirloins Highest price I've seen is $9- so about $12
4 (4oz)boneless pork chops- I don't buy this much but they are about $4 lb
10 (4oz) steak burgers buy these at Sam's for 2.98 for angus steak patties so that's .18625 an oz. so 40 oz x .18625=7.45
4 (4oz) chicken breasts Tyson chicken skinless/boneless breast $8.98 lbs
2 (4 1/2 oz) stuffed sole w/ scallops & crabmeat I'm clueless on this one!!
8 (3oz) franks- The nicest dogs are usually $3 at most
4 (5 1/2 oz) stuffed baked potatoes About a 1 1/2pnd of potatoes w/the idea you have some of the things to make 2xbaked potatoes $5

So my total is 5+3+7.45+4+12=$31.45
That leaves $32.55 for the knives and fish and your time for having to go get the food. I don't think that it is a good deal.
But my math could be off. I've never be good in math!! HTH!
Old 09-21-2007, 09:01 AM   #4
funkymama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

how much is the shipping? i'm guessing it has to be at least $8-10, if not more??
Old 09-21-2007, 09:11 AM   #5
Hitchkids
Registered Users

We've ordered Omaha Steaks for gifts for family members before and received a huge box of the stuff when our last baby was born. What we've found is that the quality of the meat is usually very great but the prices are high compared to what you can get in the store. It makes a great gift but I think for the normal family with kids on a budget, there are more affordable ways to stock your freezer.
Hitchkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 09:11 AM   #6
fostermomcchr
Registered Users
seller

I have checked into this company's specials several times, I always include the shipping when I figure out how much I am paying for the meat. I found that even paying full price at the store, I can get it for less than what they are charging and to be honest, I prefer my steaks to be fresh rather than frozen so I have opted to not buy from them.
Old 09-21-2007, 01:26 PM   #7
missy_cbell21
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by shell62995 View Post
ok, i total nerd. i did the math. but i do shop by pricing things down to the ounce. I based my math on prices here in Tx. I know if you shopped around you could find all of these reduced so you might want to factor that in. I never pay full price on anything but I did figure this on regular prices- not sale or reduced except for the steak burgers because I'm not sure of the regular prices.
4 (5 oz) top sirloins Highest price I've seen is $9- so about $12
4 (4oz)boneless pork chops- I don't buy this much but they are about $4 lb
10 (4oz) steak burgers buy these at Sam's for 2.98 for angus steak patties so that's .18625 an oz. so 40 oz x .18625=7.45
4 (4oz) chicken breasts Tyson chicken skinless/boneless breast $8.98 lbs
2 (4 1/2 oz) stuffed sole w/ scallops & crabmeat I'm clueless on this one!!
8 (3oz) franks- The nicest dogs are usually $3 at most
4 (5 1/2 oz) stuffed baked potatoes About a 1 1/2pnd of potatoes w/the idea you have some of the things to make 2xbaked potatoes $5

So my total is 5+3+7.45+4+12=$31.45
That leaves $32.55 for the knives and fish and your time for having to go get the food. I don't think that it is a good deal.
But my math could be off. I've never be good in math!! HTH!

that is exactally what i was looking for thanks for using the nerdeness?? for me! it sounded good but breaking it down like that makes sense. thanks for all the replys.