Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 09-21-2007, 10:46 PM   #11
Registered Users
Re: Thrifty GOALS

Ours is to cut back on going out to eat. That is the only thing we wasted money on.

Erin318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 09:18 AM   #12
Registered Users
My Mood:

I am sewing. I go over to my moms and use her sewing machine. Some of the things I am working on: Diapers, wool covers, wipes (for family cloth), tissues, mama cloth

I plan to make a lot of gifts for Christmas this year and may make extra to sell.

Selling things we no longer need/use to get things we do need. Plus I am trying to trade for things, as well.
Ask me how to get $25 for opening an ING savings account today!
Rachel: WAHM to Jordan (12), Kelsey (6), :wave2: Salem (3)
Check out my Thrifty Crafty Blog! Article on thrift, recipes, DIY and finances!
You haven't joined SWAGBUCKS yet? JOIN NOW & earn prizes!
DivineNature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 10:25 AM   #13
Registered Users

Well, our trailer is now paid for and the only bills we have are utility (and net), life and car insurance, and food for a family of 6. Then there is the one credit card we are working to pay off. But with just the above it takes money and we have no income. We are currently selling off anything and everything just to eat basically. So here are some things we are doing to stretch a dollar:

We don't eat package stuff. It may come with coupons, but it is still more expensive and it is not good for you at all.

We eat bean, rice, and corn bread 4 or 5 nights per week.

Breakfast consist of oats, cream of wheat, or pancakes and eggs. Sometimes left over rice to make fried rice. I have found different ways to prepare the above. Oat pancakes are better than regular, but are more expensive so they are a treat. Buy the cheep brands.

Lunch consist of homemade bread and peanut butter, or left over beans mashed and put on bread like tortillias.

Popcorn for snack.

When we have veggies or meat they go in something that will stretch them like corn bread cassarole, cajun rice, etc.

Drink water! We have our own well so I don't have to buy water. Don't know what I'd do if we had to. I feel sorry for anybody that has to pay for water!!

Don't get in the car till I absolutly must!!

Use the library.

Turn off lights, reduce the ac usage, wash in cold, hang out clothes, etc.

Sew clothes.

Make Christmas gifts. This year will probably be one small gift per daughter and son and no one else except maybe our two god-children if we can mannage the funds to buy fabric or socks to make them a stuffed animal. We love sock and glove animals!!

Prefolds! and pul covers!

We have our own chickens and they should start laying soon, so that will cut down our egg expense. We spend about $5 per week for eggs!! Those things have skyrocketed!! (That is one egg per person per day -or- two for pancakes and one for cornbread. If we have to use more we run out before the week is up as I only buy 3 doz.

We found a dairy farmer that supplies us with fresh raw milk for only $2 a gallon!!

We have not been able to garden this year cus we still have Hurricane Katrina trees in our garden area, but hopefully come spring we will be able to garden. This year my cousin planted extra and dh and ds went to help him hoe We got a lot of veggies from that. We canned a good deal and are we ever thankful for that blessing!!! It will only last us a few months using them sparingly though.

HillbillyHousewife has some good recipes, on her website, that are cheep, but in our part of the country you will not get her grocery list for $40!! It is more like $75 with cutting corners!! We use her recipes sometimes but we eat ever cheeper than she suggest.

Don't eat out!! We can feed a family of 6 on left over beans and a loaf of homemade bread for about $1! Try that at Burger King!!

I'm sure I could think of a lot more things giving time.
Eat it up, wear it out.
Make do, or do without.

You are as much serving God in looking after your own children, training them up in God's fear, minding the house, and making your household a church for God as you would be if you had been called to lead an army to battle for the Lord of hosts. ~Charles Spurgeon
hssusie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 10:49 AM   #14
Registered Users
My Mood:

We're trying to eat out less and follow our budget. Since I stopped working, we have a $400 dollar hole in our budget. If DH makes incentives (like a bonus) each month, that hole does not exits. But, he doesn't always make it. So, I have to be extra careful with money.
rcarver is offline   Reply With Quote