Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-13-2006, 12:15 PM   #1
wanamingomommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
VBAC or repeat C-section??

Hi! I'm newly pregnant w/Baby #2. I won't see the dr. until August, so I haven't yet been able to go over this issue.

Our first child, ds, was an emergency c-section. After 14 hours of labor, they decided he wasn't going to fit. He was facing my back (yukky back labor) and just couldn't make it that way. There was mention about my pelvis, but I'm unsure if that really had anything to do with it. Until I check my records I won't know.

So my biggest dilema (I think about it every day) is whether or not to try for a VBAC.

Is anyone in the same boat? Or has anyone had this same decision to make previously? Tell me how it worked or what you think.

I'm so torn.
Thank you!

Advertisement

wanamingomommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 12:27 PM   #2
Kimmomy2dom
Mmmm Saucers eating chocolate
seller

Location: I'm halfway across the country, but weirdos have a way of teleporting!
My Mood:
Re: VBAC or repeat C-section??

Congratulations! I wondered why you wanted that shirt. LOL
I didn't have a c/s with my son, but I had decided that if I ever did I would probably TRY for a VBAC. It depends (with you) on a lot of factors maybe. If your pelvis does have an issue that makes it hard for babies to go through, if your next baby is just as big, presenting position, etc. Obviously it's something I would take to my doc when you can to see if there really IS a reason why you shouldn't try for a VBAC. I think some docs are more supportive of them than others, too.
Is it important to you to deliver vaginally? If it is, then I'd say push for it if your body will allow. If you're not sure I'd definitely talk it over with your doc and see if they can give you any reasons either way as to why you should do one or the other. Good luck!
Kimmomy2dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 12:58 PM   #3
rpg_mommy
Registered Users

My son was posterior presentation as well, so I TOTALLY feel your pain on the back labor thing! We went 39 hours before he was born (no drugs!) and my midwife told me that had I been in the hospital, they'd have made me have a c-sec - docs don't like long labors like that.

I obviously don't know all the circumstances of your first delivery, but if the docs got you to have a c-sec just because the labor was 14 hours and he was posterior, then you are probably a great candidate for a VBAC. As long as they did a low transverse cut (which is the routine nowdays) and you have no complications, I'd say go for it. I wouldn't trade our vaginal birth for anything - reaching down and helping my baby out into the world, that just can't be beat!

A lot of doctors will say that VBACs are more risky, but if you actually look up the statistics, the chances of uterine rupture are way less than 1%...the risks associated with a c-sec are much more numerous (infection, reaction to the anesthetic, maternal mortality is 4 times higher for c-sec than for vag birth, adhesions, chronic pain, nerve damage from the incision or epidural, blood loss is regularly twice that of a vag birth, c-sec babies have a higher rate of respiratory problems, etc, etc) and really should only be done in a serious emergency, not just as a routine or "just because you had one before." The CDC says that "failure to progress" is not a good reason to perform a c-sec, yet that is the #1 reason given for doing them. Also there's nothing better than holding that newborn baby on your belly and not letting go for an hour or two as opposed to having them wisked right away to the nursery while you are in recovery.

This is something you really should talk to your doc about, though. The two of you need to be in agreement, but remember that if you really want a VBAC and he can't give you a good reason NOT to have one, that you don't just give in. It's your body and your baby's body and you gotta do what you think is best for the two of you.

Good luck with whichever you choose!
rpg_mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 01:07 PM   #4
KuddlyKreations
Registered Users

My Mood:

My 1st baby was a C/S because he was breech at 38 weeks. Even though he had been head down at 37 weeks. I was young and not well educated on labor/birth and was easily talked into a Csection at 39 weeks. They also explained since I was a teenager and he was supposed to be a big baby. That even if he turned I most likely wouldn't be able to push him out. He was all of 7 lbs 9 ozs. I decided after that I did not want another one. I did my research and searched for doctors who would allow me to VBAC. I went on to have sucessful hospital VBACs and a home birth. My homebirth was a 9 lbs 3 ozs baby. I have since learned if I would of just been patient and waited. That its a good chance my 1st baby would of turned. As all my other babies flipped flopped around right up until days before I had them.

With baby being posterior its going to take longer (normally) for baby to move down. Maybe he would of really came down on his own. Who knows its hard to say what may of happened. But I truly believe that if you WANT to birth vaginally you should go for it. Having a VBAC is no more risky then any other possible complication that can go wrong during labor. The say there is a chance of your uterus rupturing. But to be honest people who have NEVER had a Csection have ruptured too. You have more of a chance of having a complication from the Csection really.

Bottom line if you WANT a VBAC do it. Don't let anyone stop you or try to talk you into not having one.
KuddlyKreations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 01:10 PM   #5
wanamingomommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't want to have to go through the c-section recovery again! My baby was whisked away along w/dh and I went shivering and shaking to the recovery room. I remember watching the second hand go around and around for 30 min. before I was wheeled back to my room. And my baby in the mean time was held by my dh, my sister, my mom, my sil, my nephew, my neice (this isn't the entire family, just those who were there). They were all in my room passing around my baby. I'm almost tearing up about it thinking back. That really really ticked me off. I just recently found a bunch of pictures from that day that I had never seen before and I wasn't in them because I wasn't to my room yet.
After I got to the room, everyone was crowded around me and all happy. I just passed out. I don't remember the rest of that day and ds was born at 2:14 pm!
Then we had nursing problems and I wonder if they weren't associated w/the c-section. I'll never know.
This time, I want to be there 100% (except I will have an epidural again... you wouldn't pull a tooth w/o meds...) and I want to nurse my baby right away and have dh there. I want the "normal" experience.
And I want to be able to come home feeling fine. I was so drugged up last time and I can't imagine taking care of a 2 yr old and a new baby being that drugged up and sore.
I am thankful that I never had any of the really bad possibilities w/a c-section. My bleeding was light, no infection, my staples came out painlessly. I just don't want to feel that way again.
Old 07-13-2006, 01:13 PM   #6
wanamingomommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Also, I'm hearing that the greatest VBAC risk is for the baby. They say that there's a greater chance of the cord being around it's neck and suffocation. My hospital lost it's first VBAC baby last year.
Anyone hear of that possibility?
Old 07-13-2006, 01:17 PM   #7
KuddlyKreations
Registered Users

My Mood:

I have NEVER heard that as being a possibility specifically increased by having a VBAC. Sure it's a risk with any baby but having a VBAC does not make it any greater.
KuddlyKreations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 01:44 PM   #8
rpg_mommy
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanamingomommy
This time, I want to be there 100% (except I will have an epidural again... you wouldn't pull a tooth w/o meds...)
Not to be offensive or start a horrid debate or anything about pain meds, but I hear a lot of people say this...you wouldn't have surgery without meds, or pull a tooth or whatever. To me the difference is that with surgery or pulling a tooth, you are doing something abnormal to your body. Birth pains are a normal pain, something your body was made to do. It's not a "oh no something's wrong" pain, it's a "my body is doing some hard work" pain.

Ian was born after 39 hours of back labor with no drugs and honestly, as bad as it hurt, it wasn't as bad as I expected it to be. I thought I'd just all of a sudden be racked by these terrible pains, but in reality they build slowly and just gradually got worse and with labor pains your body produces its own pain meds. We learned relaxation techniques as well and labored in water which also helped a ton (I was sleeping between contractions even when they were 3 min apart). I also found that by the time it was REALLY hurting, it was about time to push, and pushing felt so good!

I know a lot of women who had really terrible side effects from epi's, so to me the risks definately outweigh going through the pain. I would really encourage any woman to try to birth without drugs. It's really something your body was made for and just an amazing experience to feel your body working so hard to produce that little miracle. Plus it stops hurting the second they are born!

Again, good luck with your little one! If you'd like to try natural birth, I'd highly recomend Bradley classes to learn some excellent relaxation techniques.
Old 07-13-2006, 02:30 PM   #9
SugarBunsWool&More
Formerly: RileysMama
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpg_mommy
Not to be offensive or start a horrid debate or anything about pain meds, but I hear a lot of people say this...you wouldn't have surgery without meds, or pull a tooth or whatever. To me the difference is that with surgery or pulling a tooth, you are doing something abnormal to your body. Birth pains are a normal pain, something your body was made to do. It's not a "oh no something's wrong" pain, it's a "my body is doing some hard work" pain.

Ian was born after 39 hours of back labor with no drugs and honestly, as bad as it hurt, it wasn't as bad as I expected it to be. I thought I'd just all of a sudden be racked by these terrible pains, but in reality they build slowly and just gradually got worse and with labor pains your body produces its own pain meds. We learned relaxation techniques as well and labored in water which also helped a ton (I was sleeping between contractions even when they were 3 min apart). I also found that by the time it was REALLY hurting, it was about time to push, and pushing felt so good!

I know a lot of women who had really terrible side effects from epi's, so to me the risks definately outweigh going through the pain. I would really encourage any woman to try to birth without drugs. It's really something your body was made for and just an amazing experience to feel your body working so hard to produce that little miracle. Plus it stops hurting the second they are born!

Again, good luck with your little one! If you'd like to try natural birth, I'd highly recomend Bradley classes to learn some excellent relaxation techniques.
Funny, I took that as that someone wouldn't have a c-section without pain meds! LOL Not that she was saying anything about pain relief with labor.
ITA that you shouldn't have a c-section without pain meds. I've had one and I'm sure I wouldn't have been able to handle the surgery without my epi!
If I ever get the chance for a VBAC, I'll try it w/o pain meds. The meds made me *very* groggy this past time (I had a c-section due to placenta previa) and I want to be there to see my baby!! I instead nearly slept through my son's entire birth.

Last edited by SugarBunsWool&More; 07-13-2006 at 02:32 PM.
SugarBunsWool&More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 02:37 PM   #10
rpg_mommy
Registered Users

OH! Haha I guess I misinterpreted! Lord knows you need one for a c-sec! Stupid message boards where you can't hear the inflection in what people are saying!