Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-19-2006, 07:28 AM   #11
ahisma
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Planning a natural childbirth

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpg_mommy
From what I've heard, induction hurts a LOT worse than laboring naturally. Pitocin forces hard labor so you don't build up gradually to the really strong contractions like you would laboring naturally. That can be bad for mom because it hurts more and bad for baby because building up to strong contractions gives baby time to adapt to them as well. Induced births have a higher rate of fetal distress and an increased chance of needing a e-c/sec. That's just something you might want to keep in mind if you are really wanting a natural birth - I don't think I know a single person who was induced that birthed without pain meds.

Good luck with your little one!
Actually, I was induced with DD (per doc's insistence) and did it without pain meds. I have a very high pain tolerance though, the result of 15 years of endometriosis I suppose.

I hope I don't come off as sounding overly defensive here, it's just that as much as I'd like to avoid being induced I do have to recognize that it may be best in this situation. It's not something that I take lightly, and not something that I'm done researching.

I do like the fact that the Bradley Method allows DH to be really involved, I'm definitely going to pick up those books

Advertisement

ahisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 07:30 AM   #12
wbkt8
Registered Users
seller

just a bit of encouragement - it is possible to not have an epidural w/ an induction. a good friend of mine was induced w/ pit due to her water breaking but not going in to labor on her own. anyway, her labor was quite fast and pretty hard, but she did it w/o the epidural.

eta - oh you just posted something similar. well, you know that then.
Old 07-19-2006, 07:32 AM   #13
Abunchofus
Registered Users
seller

Samantha - you do not sound overly defensive at all and I hope that I didn't come across overly pushy - having had 6 in a variety of ways I just like for ladies to research what they're doing and it sure sounds like you have and you are!

The pp is right in that the odds are slim but you are right to consider all "what-if's" and just be prepared for each scenario.
Old 07-19-2006, 07:36 AM   #14
keegans_mommy
I had the CD wagon impounded!
seller

My Mood:

Well shoot! I forgot to add that I did bradley and visualization with my last baby with great success at natural childbirth! We couldn't afford the bradley classes so I studied the book, taught my DH what I read and practiced every single night.

I did visualization with a CD I turned on when I went to bed and it put me to sleep almost every single night but it trained me to take my mind someplace else other than that room and was awesome!
Old 07-19-2006, 07:38 AM   #15
ahisma
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by keegans_mommy
The only question now is, why are you wanting to have a natural birth but be induced? I'd say, if you are being induced, just go for the pain reliever as you will need it being induced. Being induced defeats the purpose of going natural but I understand your concerns with a quick labor, that would scare me too.

I hope I didn't offend you. I am just confused with your desires for a natural birth and wanting to be induced.
No, you didn't offend me

I want a natural labor for 3 reasons -

1) Because it's just how we are...we wear hemp, eat organic, know our farmer, shop local, avoid unnecessary medical stuff whenever possible

2) Because I have a history of migraines...bad ones that can last weeks. I've been off all pain meds for a year now, with the exception of the rare tylenol. I have them under control with regular massage, arnica gel, chiropractic & calcium-magnesium supplements. I do know that pain meds can trigger my migraines, and I'd like to avoid that at all possible...I'd really prefer to bond with our baby migraine-free, for obvious reasons.

3) I did it with DD, and was very glad that I did. I felt great after the birth, went home the next day, and recovered very well.

I now it kind of defeats the purpose of going natural, but given our situation its about as close as we can get. Of course...it may not even come to that

ahisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 07:41 AM   #16
keegans_mommy
I had the CD wagon impounded!
seller

My Mood:

Ok, OT LOL but you mentioned calcium-magnesium and migraines, do you take that to prevent migraines? I get them and some so badly that even my prescription does not help.

Anywhoo, thank you for clearing up why you want to do what you want to do. We live very much the same as you do and rarely use synthetic medications but sometimes the benefits outweigh the risks of them.

You are my type of girl
Old 07-19-2006, 07:43 AM   #17
wbkt8
Registered Users
seller

i have personally never tried these methods, but what about natural induction methods (evening primrose oil, black? cohosh, etc.)?
Old 07-19-2006, 07:47 AM   #18
annes_cottage
Accomplice to the Temptress of Fuzzi Fannies Diapers

My Mood:

I have had pitocin on all 4 of my labors. I have never had any pain medication. With my first my water broke at home and labor was progressing slowly so they wanted to speed things up. With 2nd I was induced on my due date. 3rd I had some complications and I was induced. 4th I went into labor naturally and it was moving slowly. When ds was born there was a double knot in the cord and dr went white. I have a picture of this and had never been more scared to see that. Had I not been hurried along I could have had a still born baby, my due date was 12 days later.

I have never had ill side effect and all my babies had 8-9/9 on their apgars. None of them were ever in distress and were all breathing fine. Praise God! Each woman needs to do as she feels best for her baby and her delivery. We should all try to respect everyone's decisions with out being critical and be as supportive as we can.

Prayers for a safe delivery! Blessings!!

Avi pic: Leland 1 yr
annes_cottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 12:41 PM   #19
kht2006
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I just had an induced natural childbirh using the bradley method. it was an awesome experience. she was posterior until the very end of the labor and it was hard, but managable. Practice breathing....practice changing positions. Ill write more later or email me and I'll tell you more about what my Dr. did to help it work...Karen
kht2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 12:50 PM   #20
Kimmomy2dom
Mmmm Saucers eating chocolate
seller

Location: I'm halfway across the country, but weirdos have a way of teleporting!
My Mood:

We were thinking about doing Bradley, and I did read one of the books. DH just didn't want to be THAT involved, and in my situation it wouldn't have worked well.
I was also induced with my son and went w/o pain medication. If induction is what works best for you - then go for it! In that situation I would probably, too. We were kind of scared that this time I might give birth in the car, and we still slightly are, but we're really close to the hospital and I think they'd make me come in the second I sneezed funny, LOL.
If you're interested in the books I do have one that you're more than welcome to buy/borrow whatever. We won't be using Bradley this time, either - might as well go to someone who's interested!
Kimmomy2dom is offline   Reply With Quote