Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-19-2006, 01:09 PM   #21
skayers01
Registered Users

Re: Planning a natural childbirth

I bought a hypnobirthing book but didn't take the class. I does very much involve the husband though. There's all kinds of things they teach him to do to help you stay inyour relaxed state of mind, such as light touch massage, and talking you through your visualizations. My labor was still painful, but I did sleep throughout it. My labor only lasted about 2.5 hours too. I also HIGHLY reccommend a birth tub to labor in and I highly don't reccommend induction. That's how I went the first time and it was awful. I felt like I had no control and it was scary. DD was born with help from the vacuum extractor because of fetal distress. With my ds I felt in control and confident and had a wonderful experience! Good luck with whatever you choose to do! I wish you the best!

Advertisement

Old 07-19-2006, 01:18 PM   #22
ahisma
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abunchofus
Samantha - you do not sound overly defensive at all and I hope that I didn't come across overly pushy - having had 6 in a variety of ways I just like for ladies to research what they're doing and it sure sounds like you have and you are!

The pp is right in that the odds are slim but you are right to consider all "what-if's" and just be prepared for each scenario.
No, you didn't sound pushy...I appreciate the input I just figured that it was best to explain my reasons for considering induction, since it looked like it was becoming a hot topic

ahisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 01:21 PM   #23
ahisma
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinacatsunflower
Are you me? Seriously, we're in the same state, I'm in law school, and I have an hour+ commute.

If we're in the same school, we should get in touch--I'm moving much closer to school in a month or so though.
Wow that is strikingly similar! I'm gong to MSU Law (DCL) and live in Grand Rapids. I considered U of M...but I would have had to stay with friends in Ann Arbor for part of each week and we decided that it would be too hard on our family.

Where are you going to school?

Congrats on the new baby, and on law school! We'll have to trade stories...and study / baby caring strategies!

Old 07-19-2006, 01:23 PM   #24
ahisma
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by keegans_mommy
Ok, OT LOL but you mentioned calcium-magnesium and migraines, do you take that to prevent migraines? I get them and some so badly that even my prescription does not help.
I'm pm'ing you about migraine stuff...I've tried it all by now

Old 07-19-2006, 01:44 PM   #25
ahisma
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbkt8
i have personally never tried these methods, but what about natural induction methods (evening primrose oil, black? cohosh, etc.)?
I am interested in these, but need to do some more research. I've been looking into clary sage, but will definitely check out EPO & black cohosh. I just want to make sure that I know what I'm doing and that I'm doing it at an appropriate time, KWIM?

Thanks for the tips!

Old 07-19-2006, 01:53 PM   #26
rpg_mommy
Registered Users

As for natural induction methods, try having sex with the hubby then walking around Walmart for an hour. Worked for me!

rpg_mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 01:54 PM   #27
Abunchofus
Registered Users
seller

Samantha - do check into the EPO - I've never done it myself but I am on a quiverful board and several ladies there have used it! Be careful with cohoshes - they are wonderful as long as you know what you are doing with them but just read and know what you are doing -

rpg-mommy! Sex with dh is always a good thing - whether trying to induce labor or not!

Last edited by Abunchofus; 07-19-2006 at 01:56 PM.
Abunchofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 01:59 PM   #28
skayers01
Registered Users

EPO will not induce your labor. It softens your cervix, which can lead to thinning and so forth. I began taking it at 37 weeks orally and vaginally, and didn't have my son unitl 42 weeks! (But when he came, he came FAST!) If you're concered about having him too quickly, wouldn't taking EPO just make it faster? Are you far from the hospital? We were 40 minutes from the birthing center and my contractions were a minute apart when we left the house! And then I kept giving him bad directions (we had only been there twice!). We made it though and 2 hours later he was born! I think getting in the birth pool and relaxing helped.
Old 07-19-2006, 02:01 PM   #29
skayers01
Registered Users

We had also gone to the Olive Garden and I ate eggplant parmesan. I heard a couple years back that it puts some women in labor. Sure enough that night my water broke! I was also about 42 weeks pregnant, so I could have just been a coincident! Who knows!
Old 07-19-2006, 02:01 PM   #30
MamaLove
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Natural Childbirth the Bradley Way by Susan McCutcheon...this book is great! I found it very helpful, without taking classes or even actually training my dh with the practice exercizes. I just told him what was best to do for each situtation, and he was the best help during labor.

Also, Special Delivery by Rohima Baldwin is very informative and especially good to know if you have fast deliveries.

There are natural ways of inducing you may want to check out...herbs are powerful, but should be well researched for each individual (black cohosh works great but is not good if you are anemic, etc.) Homeopathy is safe and effective as well. Here's a link for all the ways to naturally induce labor:
http://www.gentlebirth.org/archives/...uc.html#Herbal

As for the migranes, you might want to check out The Ph Miracle by Dr. Young...I'm reading this book right now about how balancing acid and alkaline in the diet can cure everything!

Best wishes for a graceful, natural birth!