Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 09-22-2007, 05:57 PM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:

I recently found out I am expecting again. I have two major wishes this time - they are not to vomit my brains out til delivery and to be successful at breastfeeding. With my first son, we had several problems. He would always fall asleep at the breast. I tried moving him and tickling him behind his ear among other things, but I could never keep him awake unless I took him off the breast. Then he woke up screaming. Secondly, he never got the latch right. If I got a lot of the areola in he would back off. I would correct it over and over but I just couldn't win. Eventually to try and get him to eat more aggressively my lactation consultant suggest a nipple sheild. That definitely ruined to latch. I was so saddened to loose the skin contact there, but it did seem to work a little better. Last my son had colic. He had diarhea and bad bloating/gas. For some reason my lac consultant swore that food allergies were so rare that there was no use trying elimination diets. She was supposed to be "the best" around but I think she is poorly educated in that area. In the end, I would sit in a chair for hours and hours straight and at night we listened to screaming and crying that we could do nothing about. After two months of nursing the lac consultant suggested we needed a pumping schedule, and I could just not handle it. I was handling a high needs child who had milk/soy allergies and screamed every time I pumped. The funniest thing was that I was so wishwashy on breastfeeding because I had neutropenia and couldn't find much research to support the safety of nursing. But that first time I nursed in the hospital - I still tear up thinking about my baby looking into my eyes while he nursed.
And FYI, I did try elimination of dairy but soy was also a part of it. I was drinking soy milk and when I gave him breastmilk (after several weeks)he screamed for days. I was so emotionally exhausted by then that was the end. He ended up on pricey hypoallergenic formula.
Sorry so long, but I would love to hear other's experiences and advice. In my first pregnancy I was so sick, but I was pretty good at keeping dairy products down. I am going to focus on eating a better variety this time because i know that may have caused the allergy. What about the sleepy baby? I even undressed him down to his diaper but it didn't matter. I could have lived with the breastsheild, but I am going to absorb myself in as much breastfeeding info as possible to help with the latch, too. Thanks for the help, ladies!

dolly454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 06:43 PM   #2
Registered Users

I have no words of wisdom for you but wanted to wish you good luck!

mommy to Caden 6-29-04 and Clara Michelle 10-19-07 Ceagan Matthew 2-23-10 Proud Breast feeding, cloth diapering mama! adoptive mommy to Chloe! 1/14/2009
Cadensmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 11:01 AM   #3
Registered Users

First of all, I'm so sorry you had such difficulty the first time around. Second, every child and nursing relationship is different, so don't go into this thinking that you're going to have as much trouble this time around. You might, and of course you should educate as much as possible, but try to be as positive as possible. Visit a LLL meeting if you can, and if not, try their message board. You should be able to get some reassurance support and advice to help you along this time. I really feel that successful breastfeeding takes more than just the mom and the baby.

AFA the sleepy baby, I would say if you tried all the usual tricks (and it sounds like you did) maybe he just needed sleep more than food when you couldn't keep him awake. Alternately, maybe using a different hold (one that isn't so comfy for sleeping) would help keep the baby awake long enough to get full.
Today there is no black or white, only shades of gray.
ceilismom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 03:28 PM   #4
Registered Users
My Mood:

The best way to be successful with breastfeeding is to attend classes before you have the baby, get time with a Lactation Consultant (especially if you have trouble getting established),and maintain some level of support around you whether it's family, friends, LLL or some other kind of online support or a book for after the baby is born.
Read read read everything you can and educate yourself as best you can before the baby gets here so you're as prepared as you can be. =)

also, for sleepy babies, stripping them down to a diaper usually wakes them right up. I've even resorted to a cool washrag on the forehead or behind the neck. They don't like it, but at least they're awake and can eat. =)
Mom to
Elysia, born 02/15/94and Travis, born 03/07/07
see_nelle_run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 07:26 PM   #5
Registered Users

I agree with both postings. Each child is different and you may have no issues. Both my sons were totally opposite. The first was fantastic for nursing the second one we had a difficult time with.

My second was a sleepy baby he had surgery at 6 days old and came home weak and sleepy. I did breast compressions as he sucked the milk in. If you look up Dr. Jack Newman(sick kids in Toronto) he has fantastic info about the questions you have. He also has some videos you can watch. When I changed sides I never burped on the shoulder or he would fall asleep. I held him on my lap. Also tipped him back wards and forward while I was sitting him on my lap. (hard to picture). I found the breast compressions helped him out because he was weak and it was less work for him. Also keeps them interested.

My son threw up lots for the first year and had loose stools with mucus and blood at times. Not fun. In the end I found out he has a life threatening allergy to eggs. Found out when I gave him egg to eat. I think that the protien from the egg was in the milk and gave him issues. Did some research and still feel that BF was best for him. He is healthy and now. I think the elimination diet is a great idea and works. I did it with milk while nursing and it made no difference but his allergy is egg and I never thought to eliminate that.

Maybe you will not have to worry about any of this. Each child is unique.
joce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 07:43 PM   #6
Registered Users

I agree with all of the pp. If you can find a LLL near you, it's definitely worth it- they have so much info. I also read Jack Newman's book: The Ultimate Breastfeeding Book of Answers, while I was pregnant. I actually had dreams while I was pregnant of how DD would need to latch on correctly once she was born : ) Even though everyone says the baby is "supposed" to nurse for 10 min on each side, I could only get her to stay on each side for 5 min max and she kept gaining weight. I also switched sides frequently during each session to keep her interested.
Cloth4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 08:11 PM   #7
Registered Users
My Mood:

Congrats on your pregnancy!!!
I had a very difficult time nursing ds1 and he also ended up on formula due to my lack of information and support. It was very difficult for me also. I am so very sorry that nursing was difficult for you with your first child
You are doing a wonderful thing for yourself and your new baby right now by seeking information and support. That will help things go much better and giv eyou the confidence you need. All of the pp's have given you wonderful suggestions so far. Please seek out your local LLL it is an awsome resource and support system.
My ds2 has food allergies and I have to avoid things that bother him and it is not easy at first. I have sought out lots of information on food allergies and my dr even suggested that if we wanted to have any additional children that it may be beneficial to limit the foods that have bothered ds2 during any pregnancies. I do not have a link to that specific information but it may be something that you may want to look into.
I wish you lots of luck with your pg and hope that you enjoy a wonderful nursing relationship with you new little one in a few months!
Michelle married to Jon 5/30/98 and mama to 2 adorable boys Alex (11-09-00) and Logan (1-04-06) and waiting for our little VR miracle Amelia who is due 7/2/09
mhr1406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 09:16 PM   #8
Registered Users
My Mood:

I agree with many pp's! LLL is the best way to find support and info. Also, though a lactation consultant CAN be helpful.... you also have to realize that not a lot of them have even nursed a baby before! I have had a great experience with my local LLL. Read a lot and be determined. They best book I have found so far is the LLL book called "the art of a breastfeeding mother". As for the nipple shield, I don't know what it is with these nurses and doctors pushing these things on people, it usually makes things worse in the long run. GOOD LUCK!
Carrie wife to Micah mommy to my 3 little blessings! Jonah Ryan (10/08/04) Bella Kate (04/05/07) and Finlay Jacob (09/17/09)
*SweetPea83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 11:37 PM   #9
Registered Users

Well, first off... every baby is totally different. This time around may be a total breeze even though last time was so difficult. I agree - educate, educate, educate. The more knowledge you have, the better able you will be to troubleshoot through problems. Buy the Dr. Sears "The Breastfeeding Book", buy "So that's what they're for". Buy and read as much as you can. Go to LLL meetings starting now. You will have an established support network before you start.

Sleepy baby....
Probably the most frustrating part of early nursing. Try to avoid meds during delivery. Undress baby down to diaper for every feeding. Sit baby up on your lap and burp firmly if he/she starts to fall asleep. Take a cool wash cloth and rub it on his/her back, forhead, cheeks. If that doesn't work well enough, I have even blown cool air onto the wet baby's back to get him to wake up. (I work postpartum.) Rub baby's feet really firmly. Most parents are way too nice when it comes to waking a baby. Know that after a few days most babies will wake up and eat well. It's just an uphill battle for a while. It is important to wake and feed, though. Not enough milk intake will lead to jaundice, which makes baby sleepier... starting a really rough downward spiral.

There's tons of info on getting a good latch. Obviously a good LC is a great resource. If you go to one and are not thrilled, search out another. Again, every baby is different so this may not be a problem next time around. Is it possible your first baby was tongue-tied?

Skin to skin contact always helps. Nursing as soon as possible after delivery helps. A good support system helps (line up someone now to help with housework, older kids, etc so that you can focus on learning to breastfeed). Deliver at a hospital with an LC on staff who can immediately help with the new baby.

Sounds like you will do awesome from already starting to figure out what you can do next time! HTH!
Stacey... momma to DD (6yrs), DS (4yrs), and DD (2yrs)
paintedbison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 04:54 AM   #10
Registered Users
My Mood:

Well it sounds like you have some great advice above. I will tell you my story if you want to hear it. First off I have 3 children. My first refused to bf and my milk never came in good. I was only 18 and noone told me that I could pump and get my milk established so I didnt even try. My second one we had a very rough start latching problems? thrush the whole nine yards but we got those resolved and had a solid bfing relationship for 10 months. Now I am on my third and he had to go to NICU for 24 hours and the whole time I was pregnat I told dh whatever you do dont let them give him a bottle. Well dh comes up to me Hayden had iv's in him but wasnt getting enough so they had to insert a feeding tube. He said if I gave permission they could give him a bottle. I was so upset I just knew I wasnt going to be able to have a bfing relationship with him.... But you know what as soon as he got out of NICU and came to me He latched right on and is a great titty baby he would much rather take the boob than a bottle I am actually having a hard time giving him a bottle he will take it but then want to nurse 30 mintues later b.c. he is comfort nursing.

Now I told you all this to tell you every child is different !!! If you need anything you can pm me and just get support I would not have made without my dh he is so supportive of me and my bfing cosleeping clothdiaper baby...
angie~ mom to 4
AngieJ is offline   Reply With Quote