Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-23-2007, 09:12 AM   #1
leannrsd
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
UGH!...Gma trying to give DS formula AGAIN

DS #2 is still solely BF, but it seems like his grandma (DH's mama) is always trying to find a reason to give formula. I have nothing against formula, but my LO doesn't need it, because he is BF. I just don't want to introduce something new into his system that is not needed.
When DS #1 was little she bought a can of formula behind my back and brought it to me to try to convince me to use it along with Bf. The can was left unopened!
Now that my DS #1 (3yr) is sick with the stomach flu I called and asked if she could take DS # 2 for a few hours. I didn't have time to pump and figured that he would be back before he was hungry. When Gma came to pick him up she asked for a bottle...I knew what she was up to and asked, "Why????" She explained that she still had the unopened can from 2 years ago and that it was still good and was going to formula feed him while they were gone. I said, "Please don't" "you don't have to take him if you are concerned about him being hungry", and she said okay. I hope she knows I monitor his poo and will know if she tries anything! THE POO INVESTIGATOR!
I wish she wasn't always trying to do this.

Advertisement

Last edited by leannrsd; 09-23-2007 at 09:15 AM.
leannrsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 09:19 AM   #2
connorsmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: UGH!...Gma trying to give DS formula AGAIN

THATS JUST RUDE!! YOU are that baby's mother. I can understand grandmas wanting to take over the parenting role... my mother in law does that, but you specifically told her that you are BF'ING!! thats insaine! I would seriously sit and have a talk with her and tell her that this is your child and you are offended that she is trying to supplement your child with something that is unnatural and not wanted for your baby. Breast milk is all your little one knows and your baby can become constipated and stuff.. it would not be good.!! im sorry mama that she is that way. i hope she can come to understand that it is your baby and your decision!
Korin mommy to connor 1/11/07 and Addison 11/15/10 due with baby #3 11/10/15
wahm behind Shizz Knitz
connorsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 09:21 AM   #3
MamaToBe84
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

tell her flat out that if she doesnt stop, she wont be alone with your son EVER again. Thats what i'd do, and my MIL is evil, lol.
Old 09-23-2007, 09:23 AM   #4
leannrsd
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

What kills me about this is that she is a nutritionist! HMMM, I think she takes it upon herself to worry about both of my kid's nutrition. She is only satisfied if my oldest eats a TON of food when with her. Regaurdless of WHAT she is feeding (ham, hot dogs, yucky premade foods with lots of preservatives and extra "goodies" in them)
Old 09-23-2007, 09:26 AM   #5
mengmommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

You are just going to have to be firm with her. If anyone did that to my kids, they'd be in a world of hurt. Babies are to be fed what momma says PERIOD.
Old 09-23-2007, 09:40 AM   #6
lilyfish
Registered Users
seller

First off, there is NO WAY that formula from 2 years ago is still good to consume. How incredibly irresponsible of her to say so. Secondly, she needs to have more respect for your choices.

I will NEVER understand why people will *push* formula on breastfeeding mothers. WTF? How could you not support a mother's desire to give her baby the best possible start?!

Maybe grandma just wants to have the experience of feeding baby. Maybe you and DH should schedule a night away and be sure to bring some pumped milk and a bottle, and make sure that there is NO formula. If you're uncomfortable, tell her that you don't mind her bottlefeeding your child, as long as it's YOUR breastmilk.
~ emma goldman
lilyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 09:49 AM   #7
whalvo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by leannrsd View Post
What kills me about this is that she is a nutritionist! HMMM, I think she takes it upon herself to worry about both of my kid's nutrition. She is only satisfied if my oldest eats a TON of food when with her. Regaurdless of WHAT she is feeding (ham, hot dogs, yucky premade foods with lots of preservatives and extra "goodies" in them)
My mom seems to do that too. I'll have three different yummy balanced foods in front of dd, more than enough to fill her, and my mom will be in the background suggesting other stuff I could give her. I'll say, "thanks, but I've got plenty for her" and she looks at me like I'm starving her. She also doesn't understand when I tell her not to give dd too much dairy. She'll want to give her cottage cheese along with a slice of cheese and some yogurt. Woah! One at a time is enough for the poor girl's stomach, she's only 10 months old!

Are we going to be like that when we're grandparents?

Anywho, sorry for the hijack, but it felt good to vent.

Last edited by whalvo; 09-23-2007 at 09:51 AM.
whalvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 10:02 AM   #8
Kelolsen-and-Padawan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You just don't give a kid formula all random like that- he could not tolerate it well, etc. That's just very bad decision making on her part!
Old 09-23-2007, 10:07 AM   #9
mommypatton521
Banned
seller

My Mood:

All I have to say is if she does give him some wait till she gets that exploding poop diaper from giving an exclusively bf baby formula not a fun site!

Just tell her if she does it again you just cannot let her watch the kiddos. She needs to understand why you are choosing no formula. Some ppl always think they know best
mommypatton521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 10:10 AM   #10
mistylaureena
I saw Elvis. He sat between me and Bigfoot on the UFO
seller

My Mood:

That is so rude and weird. To me that would be the same as if you were formula feeding and someone insisted on giving your child BM or nursing your formula fed baby??

I formula fed Mikey for several reasons, but I know i would have had issues if someone would have forced or tried to give Mikey their BM or forced to nurse him, I wouldn't mind Mikey having mine but someone else's BM kinda weirds me out. Either way, you are teh mother and you get to say what goes into your child period.

ETA: oh and a 2 year old can of furmula is not still good?? Yuck

Last edited by mistylaureena; 09-23-2007 at 10:11 AM.
mistylaureena is offline   Reply With Quote