Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-24-2007, 10:50 AM   #41
manatee7
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: UGH!...Gma trying to give DS formula AGAIN

Me too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaToBe84 View Post
i hate that phrase, and for the record, just being alive isnt necessarily "turning out fine".. i do NOT want my children to be like me OR dh, lol. I think we're both pretty screwed up, IMO.

Advertisement

Old 09-24-2007, 10:51 AM   #42
MamaToBe84
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by manatee7 View Post
Me too!
see, im not the only one that thinks im screwed up!

LoL, sorry i had to be silly there
Old 09-24-2007, 10:57 AM   #43
SunkenShip
Registered Users

Goodness. Grandmothers can be SO pushy.

My mom was like that with cereal for our little one! She wanted to give him cereal in his bootle at 2 months! Ugh.
SunkenShip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 02:36 PM   #44
frogandtoad
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Red face Re: UGH!...Gma trying to give DS formula AGAIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaToBe84 View Post
i hate that phrase, and for the record, just being alive isnt necessarily "turning out fine".. i do NOT want my children to be like me OR dh, lol. I think we're both pretty screwed up, IMO.
I coulda wrote that.
There are only two lasting bequests we hope to give our children; one is roots, the other wings.
frogandtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 03:01 PM   #45
statikradio
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My MIL had 11 kids, my husband being the oldest!
She agrees that breastmilk is good for the kids but that I SHOULD give at least one or two formula bottles a day to "get away from it" or get some time for yourself. I tell her I don't think that's necessary (I was sad because I dried up after only BFing for 3 months with my first )

She insists that alternating is the best way to go about it....bleh.

** Mom of two **
statikradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 03:42 PM   #46
dirtdartwife
YouTube Junkie and Thread-Hijacker... watch your threads.
seller

My Mood:

Stick to you guns mama!

This is one of those situations in which we all hate.... people trying to do things with our kids because they think their parenting is better. Have a stern talk with her and make the boundaries clear. Don't give her room to debate or argue with you about those boundaries.

My MIL is full of comments, most are pretty stupid. While I do get upset about them AFTER the fact (and outside of view of anyone but DH), I don't let her see me get upset about them. However she knows I'd never leave my kids with her. Heck, I won't leave my kids with my SIL because she not only tried to give my 9 month old eggs after I had JUST clearly told her "she's allergic to them", but when my youngest was 8 months old, she smacked her. When I confronted her about smacking my child, she said she'll do it if it's necessary. TOTALLY disregarded me. So.... without further ado... I told her she's never getting unsupervised visits with my kids again. Call me a B, but my kids are MY kids.

Good luck with her mama. But stick to your guns and don't feel bad about it.
Old 11-19-2007, 03:16 PM   #47
cakeums
Registered Users
Formerly: mn***r
seller

My Mood:

Ugh, why can't MIL's just mind their own? You mentioned that she seems to "forget" about formula - my MIL does the same thing with foods that we have told her time and again that DD cannot have, and with sugary junk foods. (DH and I both have bad sugar addictions and I'm pre-diabetic, so I try to keep DD away from junk.)

Nearly every time she sees DD, she asks us if she can give her something that has berries in it. I had an allergy to raspberries as a child, and I didn't even have my first raspberry till I was 3, so there is no way DD will have berries before then, with the exception of blueberries, which are from a different family. But EVERY time we see her, it's, "Can Susannah have some of my smoothie?" "What's in it?" "Oh, strawberries, raspberries..." Then she acts surprised when we say no and says, "Oh, I forgot." Yeah, sure you did.

Then there's the sugar-filled snacks she tries to give her. According to MIL, graham crackers are a "baby staple" and she was in shock that DD had never had one. The next time she came to visit, she had a box of graham crackers. I told her that I wouldn't be feeding them to DD. The time after that, it was animal crackers. My DD only has 6 teeth, how is she supposed to eat those?! The only time she has a cookie is when I have an organic oatmeal cookie and give her a tiny, tiny piece.

Then for DD's "birthday" (we celebrated with DH's family a month early because he was about to return to the military) I got a 9" cake and a cupcake from the restaurant/bakery I worked at. MIL told me that I shouldn't be spending the money (she tells us what to do with OUR money, and not in a helpful way) and she insisted on making a cake. I let her make her cake, but I gave DD the cupcake. DH told me the next day that as soon as I turned around and wasn't paying attention, MIL gave her a piece of the cake that she had made. Nevermind that she had already eaten her cupcake, but MIL's cake was FULL of sugar and LARD. No wonder DD was up crying half the night.

The one time all day that she tried to feed her something healthy, it was a red pepper. I told her to break it into tiny pieces and to watch her like a hawk. My friend said that when I turned around, MIL rolled her eyes at me and gave her a chunk of pepper. When she started coughing because she was about to choke, I told her that she had to watch her carefully, and again when I turned around, she rolled her eyes at me.

I emphasize what she can eat over and over again and I am not afraid to tell her no, but I haven't let the poo fly yet with her. I know that she's just a big B who has no respect for me as a person or a mother, but most other people think that she's sweet and caring.

Anyway, sorry to hijack (BOY it feels good to vent!) - my point is that I have left DD alone with MIL three times - twice for about 1.5 hours, and once for 5 hours out of necessity (DH and I both had obligations and our babysitter backed out). My mother has spent much more time alone with DD than MIL, and MIL sees her about 3x as much as my mom does. That's because my mom knows her place as the grandparent and respects me as a mother. If MIL cannot respect my decisions as the parent, then she does not get to see her without my direct supervision. I strongly suggest that you do the same with your MIL!

Last edited by cakeums; 11-19-2007 at 03:18 PM.
cakeums is offline   Reply With Quote