Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-19-2006, 07:23 AM   #1
carolynanne
Registered Users

My Mood:
WWYD?

Things havent been going to well lately. So far this year we have had to replace out inside and outside AC unit, we bought a minivan, replaced the water pump, and tensioning belt plus two tires on the van and finally had our TV go.The last four things have happened in the last two weeks. All totaling close to 8k just in repairs and such ( except the van). Thats more then our little savings and CCs can handle. Its only July and goodness knows what will come up through out the rest of the year.

Sunday we are celebrating our sons 1st bday with friends and family ( small and basic) but its still costs $.

I am really at a cross roads. My oldest is in underwear during the day and in one diaper at night. Both my boys have such sensitive skin they cant sleep in cloth ( they sleep 10-13 hrs). So we have to buy sposies anyway.

I look at my CDs and see a great way to fund the boys chirstmas. I honestly dont know how else we swing it. Am I crazy? WWYD?

Advertisement

Old DS Feedback
carolynanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 07:43 AM   #2
redheadedangels
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: WWYD?

Christmas is still a few months away. I wouldn't worry about buying christmas presents just yet. Can u just save a few dollars every week and put the money away somwhere?

If you have more diapers than you need then sell some of the more expensive ones if you need the money. But i definitely wouldn't sell everything just to buy christmas toys.
redheadedangels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 07:49 AM   #3
wbkt8
Registered Users
seller

well are you using the cloth during the day? how many more sposies would you have to buy to diaper your 1 yo if you sold the cloth? (and how much would that cost you)? do you have a lot of extra in your stash and could you pare it down to a smaller # of diapers?

i know i certainly have more diapers than i NEED to cd dd. so i could get rid of some if i felt i needed the money for something else.
Old 07-19-2006, 07:56 AM   #4
RachelFlores
Registered Users
seller
seller

And you want to consider how much $$ disposables will cost you till your youngest (and possibly more) child is potty trained. If, as Christmas comes closer you still need money you could trade in your stash for a cheaper system, like prefolds and covers and use the extra cash for Christmas.

I'm so sorry, I KNOW how much unexpected expenses suck (just had to pay $2500 for dh's car to get fixed), but selling your diapers will probably cost you more in the long run.
Old 07-19-2006, 08:23 AM   #5
carolynanne
Registered Users

My Mood:

Thanks. I really need to crunch numbers. We need to start planning for x-mas now otherwise we will be in a "bills or x-mas" position and I cant let that happen. Unfortunately our stashed money has gone to cover some of this crap and the rest will go to the CC that we have had to put the other crap on. This one income thing is so hard sometimes.

Old DS Feedback
carolynanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 08:28 AM   #6
wbkt8
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolynanne
Thanks. I really need to crunch numbers. We need to start planning for x-mas now otherwise we will be in a "bills or x-mas" position and I cant let that happen. Unfortunately our stashed money has gone to cover some of this crap and the rest will go to the CC that we have had to put the other crap on. This one income thing is so hard sometimes.
mama. are there other things you could sell/ebay/ kids clothes to a consignment store/yard sale, etc.? just clearing out stuff that you're not using and getting a little extra cash?
Old 07-19-2006, 08:42 AM   #7
the4yosts
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yeah, I agree! I wouldn't sell your cloth dipes because sposies will end up costing you more in the long run. I would go through your house and find things that you can sell instead of your cloth. I just did that recently and made some money on ebay! I'm sorry you all are having problems. Things seem to always happen all at once!
Old 07-19-2006, 12:28 PM   #8
kimb96
Registered Users
seller

If you sell your dipes, you would just have to spend money on diapers. Right now your dipes are paid for. If you use just 1 sposie a night, a pack will last awhile. It would make more sense to put back each week the money you would spend on sposies if you sold your stash. By time Christmas came around you would have a decent Christmas fund.

Mama to Ethan
kimb96 is offline   Reply With Quote