Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-19-2006, 01:43 PM   #11
mommyofsweetones
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: I've got zucchini coming out my ears....any ideas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by toryandrew
Zucchini Cole Slaw. Just reduce the amount of cabbage and replace that amount with shredded zucchini. You can choose how much to use. Or use only zucchini
Oh, great idea, Tory! We eat coleslaw almost every day, so I know I could shred some zucchini and incorporate it without the little ones even knowing!

Advertisement

Old 07-19-2006, 01:43 PM   #12
yellowcampcat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

we are in the same boat....

we like to slice it thinly and saute in in a pan with a little olive oil, when it's mostly done we add lemon juice, pepper,and some diced fresh tomato and top it with grated parmesan or mozzarella. It makes a great summer side dish!

I also grate one or two and mix the grated zucchini with 1/3 italian dressing, 1 cup shredded mozzarella, 1 cup sour cream, 1T parsley, 1/3 C grated parmesan, an egg, and a generous dash of pepper. I use this to stuff manicotti shells and top the filled shells with a jar of pasta sauce and some more shredded cheese and bake at 350 for 45 min. You can't even tell there's zucchini in there!
yellowcampcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 01:47 PM   #13
rpg_mommy
Registered Users

I'll third the zucchini chocolate cake! I had chocolate cupcakes at a playgroup last week and they were SO moist and good! I about fell out of my chair when she said they were made with zucchini (and the icing was tofu based! WOW! So yummy!)

Yay healthy chocolate!
rpg_mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 01:57 PM   #14
ewebabymama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I like to cube it up with some onion and potato and put a pat of butter in with in then grill all that together. Mmmm... so yummy!
ewebabymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 01:58 PM   #15
Manna00
Pinchin' pennies 'til they scream
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

We like to have "healthy" fried zucchinis.

I like the cut the zuc's julliene style (sticks), dip them in a mixture of one egg with a little water (*basically an egg wash), then you dip the sticks into some regular ol' bread crumbs (we've used the Italian seasoned kind.. either way is cool). Then we spray a cookie sheet with some PAM and put the sticks on it... bake until it's crispy at 350 degrees.... mmm... it's darn tasty. This also works with vidalia onion onion rings.. mmm...
Manna00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 02:01 PM   #16
beenwaitingalongtime
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm SO jealous! Our garden's barren this year...

My fave way to eat zucchini? Sliced longways (thick), tossed in a bag w/ fresh cpt garlic, sea salt and olive oil, then grilled. LOVE it!
Old 07-19-2006, 02:04 PM   #17
CMamma
Registered Users
seller

Pickle some

Cut the skin off & dehydrate some in a dehydrator - you can add some bragg's or soy sauce or something for flavor if you want - make great veggie chips. I always have zuch out my ears & this is good way to use them

Freeze a ton. I do this too... then I have zuch all winter
Old 07-20-2006, 08:10 PM   #18
DiapeyMom
Registered Users
seller

OK, I've had the same problem in the past. You might think I'm really weird for suggesting this, but when I couldn't give it away or eat anymore than I already was...I remembered that my dog was also part of the family. One day when cutting it up, I accidentally dropped a piece on the kitchen floor and Max (the dog) cam running and ate it in a split second. He LOVED it! I checked into it and it's actually quite healthy for dogs, so I just cut up raw ones and put them in his dry dogfood. It was his happiest summer ever!!!
DiapeyMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 08:31 PM   #19
lararum
Banned

Zucchini pancakes! Just grate a bunch add flour, milk, egg and salt, fry them up and serve with salsa. They make a great supper.
One of my long time favorites is to sautee zucchini in olive oil with sliced onions and dill. A nice flavor combination.
lararum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 05:23 AM   #20
TexasLea
Registered Users

I love it fried too. We cut it up like french fries and batter it. While it is still warm from the grease try a slice dipped in ranch dressing... mmmm!

When we have to much, it goes in everything. I shred it fine and add it to spaghetti sauce, meatloaf and lasagna. Pretty much any casserole type dish you can hide some extra zuch's in by either shredding or cooking and mashing and the family won't complain about eating zucchini for the tenth night in a row.

Lea
TexasLea is offline   Reply With Quote