Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-19-2006, 03:41 PM   #1
aliyahsmommy
Registered Users
seller

Have you had a VBAC! I need Questions to ask Dr. about my VBAC!

Ok, so some of you may have read my previous post about wanting to do a VBAC. DH and I have discussed it and researched it and we are going to do it!!!!!

My doctor has done them before and said he would do one for me. Even though it isn't something he suggests to his patients right off- he said he'll do it if it is requested by a patient. I am going to the Doctor tomarrow at 1:00 and I'm trying to prep to go over everything! I have only 10 weeks left so I need to have an understanding with my doctor that this is something he will truely support me on. If I'm not sure about his responses to my questions we are going to change to a midwife-but my DH really really likes our OB and doesn't want to change unless we feel we have too.

I'll be off the internet for a lil' while but I'll check back tonight to go over my notes and yours! Thanks for your help mamas! This is so important to me and I know some of you have been through this before and can really relate! Your advice means the world to me!!

Advertisement

aliyahsmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 04:56 PM   #2
heather_c
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Have you had a VBAC! I need Questions to ask Dr. about my VBAC!

A few questions of the top of my mind...

- At what date will you recommend a repeat c/s if I do not go into labor? (Any date earlier than 42 weeks is a major red flag for me - For me, I will not schedule a repeat c/s at any point. I will have NST and Biophysical profiles to ensure the baby is OK, but I will not schedule a RCS unless the baby is in major distress and it is an emergency)
- What type of monitoring do you recommend? (Required internal monitors are a red flag for me)
- Can I move around during labor?
- Do you have a timeline of labor progress that my body must follow before a c/s is required? (Some physicians require 1 cm dialation/hour. This is a major issue. IMO patience is a necessity in any physician attending VBACs.
- What do you think my VBAC chances are? (I would be really leary about those that provide a percentage. They cannot know until you complete your labor process. Some OBs give a low percentage to scare women out of VBACs.)
- How many of your patients attempted a VBAC? Of those, how many were successful?

I am sure that I will think of more. I have not had a VBAC (yet ), but I am thinking and planning for my future births. I am also a doula, so some of the questions transfer from non-VBAC births.
heather_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 10:12 PM   #3
augustgirl69
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had a VBAC with #3 and in MHO - you really need to have a great relationship with your OB/midwife. I do with mine and we talked at length about my desire to have a VBAC, why it was important to me, my risks (I had a c/swith #2 b/c I went into fast labor and she was breech, butt first) and although her was hesitiant at first - he fully supported my informed decision to VBAC, sans fetal distress or a life threat to me he supported my choice. I did a successful VBAC with the aid of a pitocin push ( labor stalled at 8 cm) so I say go for it and TALK TALK TALK with you OB/midwife!
Old 07-20-2006, 10:57 PM   #4
KuddlyKreations
Registered Users

My Mood:

Do they require you to have an epi (some doctors require an epi on board "JUST INCASE" something were to go wrong)

Do they require you to deliver with in so many hours of water breaking (some doctors push 24 hrs. Although its true the risk of infection does go up. It's not a for sure thing. So as long as you and baby are fine. They should not put a "timeline" on delivery after water breaking)

Do they restrict your intake during labor (being able to replenish your body with liquid and light foods is vital during labor. This keeps your strength up for all the hard work your body is doing)

How comfortable is your doctor doing VBACs. (finding out if he is truly comfortable doing them or not will also tell a lot about how things might go)
KuddlyKreations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 05:32 AM   #5
jennyofthemoon
Registered Users
seller

Those are good questions posted baove, but I would also ask what happens if he is not on when you go into labor. I had an experience with DS. We had a back-up OB in case we eneded up transferring, which we did, who was cool with vbac, But he wasn't on when we transferred and it quickkly spiraled down hill. Also, if you have not delivered vaginally prior, will you be treated as a first birth (whihc you are if you've never birthed) or will having a child make you treated as a subsequent birth (the timeline guidlines are slightly different).

His sucess rate is VERY important, imo. A provider truly supportive of vbac will have a decent success rate.

Also, at what point in a "stalled" labor will he bring up the suggestion of c/s? IF it is something that will give you time to think about it, I wuoldn't be to antsy, but if he wouldn't suggest it until he's ready to go and has basiclaly already made the deciison for you, I'd be weary.

And most importantly, i think that in addition to asking questions, you make it very clear how you owuld like ot see this birth go and just watch his reactions to what you have to say.

Good luck, mama! Keep us updated!
Old 07-21-2006, 07:05 AM   #6
sprout18
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Not sure if you already went to the doc or not but I think a good question would be if they plan to use pitocin at any point. Pitocin and VBAC's are not a good mix so if he says yes I would be very leary. I agree with the pp and make sure it is very clear to him how you see this birth going. Doc's have a tendancy to tell you what you want to hear only to change everything at the birth. Good luck on your successful VBAC.
Ericka
Old 07-21-2006, 07:09 AM   #7
Blackbirdlane
Registered Users
seller

I think alot of the questions above are great. but maybe something that will help your doctor too is to give him your birth plan to read over. Like if you would like to move around during labor and avoid an epi, most docs will be open to that stuff and it might be helpful if he read over your birth plan too and can comment on it? just a thought!
Blackbirdlane is offline   Reply With Quote