Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-26-2007, 12:13 AM   #11
*~Mindy~*
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: LA Times article about c sections

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClothDiaperMePlease View Post
our local hospital has a 67% rate! It is AWFUL.
holy crap!!

so sad!

Advertisement

*~Mindy~* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 01:35 AM   #12
ginafer
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Two of our local hospitals have between a 40-50% C section rate!
Yes it is sad and yes it is true. But I am so happy to be reading articles like this one. Maybe our society will wake up to the fact that the USA isn't perfect and has HORRIBLE pregnancy outcomes in comparison to other countries. When I have mentioned these facts to family and friends they just roll their eyes at me and think, 'oh, yeah, whatever' As if I am blowing things out of perportion. And people think I am crazy for electing to birth at home...the stats speak for themselves!
Joshua 24:15
Ginafer: wife to 1 wonderful husband and mother of 5 gorgeous boys!

Last edited by ginafer; 09-28-2007 at 12:33 PM.
ginafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 03:45 AM   #13
lulusmom
Keepin' it Crunchy!
seller

My Mood:

Out of my three friends and I who all had babies within a year of each other, I was the only one who had a completely natural drug-free childbirth. One had a planned c, another had a c because she just gave up during labor and insisted she couldn't push any more, and the third gave birth vaginally but with a lot of drugs. And out of the four of us, I'm the one they all treat as the "odd mama out" for being crazy enough to even attempt birth as birth should be!

Helen-Natural birthing, extended bf'ing, cosleeping, non-vaxxin' mama to Holly Lu 8/18/07
lulusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 05:26 AM   #14
mondoowolfe
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think it's really sad too, because the rate is going to be even higher as more and more physicians refuse to do VBACs. You're taking a population of women and telling them they have a 100% chance of a repeat C/S! Plus, one thing that I truly believe perpetuates this mess is the malpractice insurance business since many physicians will prematurely perform a C/S instead of waiting things out (fetal heart tone issues, slow progress, etc.) because they fear a lawsuit. We all perform VBACs in my community (of ~70 OBs!) but there are definitely differences in how "patient" some people are before they throw in the towel! Just like one of the "older" docs has an almost 90% episiotomy rate! WTH?!?!?!?!
mondoowolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 11:12 AM   #15
ginafer
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think the most breakthrough will come when people realize that unnecessary sections can be prevented without all of the interventions widely used today. ie. pitocin, epidural, extended fetal monitoring, etc. Imagine you were that new human, and the uterus is contracting super hard on you and your momma is immobile and you have ultrasonic waves bouncing off your bones! That is enough to put anyone in distress! Besides, if these moms were given the package insert that comes with the epidural prior to admittance I think the epidural rate would drop! Or at least I hope it would because I have read it and NO THANK YOU! I would never sign up for that!
Joshua 24:15
Ginafer: wife to 1 wonderful husband and mother of 5 gorgeous boys!
ginafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 01:11 PM   #16
JenniJ
Registered Users

My Mood:

Wow that is very scary... I wish i could do a vbac but i have had 2 sections already, and this one will be too. From what i am told there are no dr.s here in vegas that will do vbacs, if they do them they sure aren't very vocal about it, this is my last.. and I wish i could do a reg. birth..
JenniJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 01:29 PM   #17
harleysheart
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenniJ View Post
Wow that is very scary... I wish i could do a vbac but i have had 2 sections already, and this one will be too. From what i am told there are no dr.s here in vegas that will do vbacs, if they do them they sure aren't very vocal about it, this is my last.. and I wish i could do a reg. birth..
Im right there with you except im in southern Cali. Im so frustrated at the fact that I have to have another c-section.
1st I had twins and had pre-eclapsia and kidneys were failing...2nd was to be a v-bac and baby was breach at 36 weeks and had to be taken to due low amnio fluid. So now they said I have no choice I have to have a c-section.
My blog:The Frugal 5
harleysheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 03:02 PM   #18
MamaToBe84
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

how sad, but very eye-opening.
Old 09-27-2007, 03:42 PM   #19
Birdof1985
Banned
seller

My Mood:

this is kind of on topic but i feel like i should say it....

i have found that MANY women say their OB and/or hospital in their area dont "allow" VBAC. Now these women im sure would love a VBAC but yet why cant they reasearch and find- legally no OB or hospital can MAKE you have a c/s.

i had no idea of any of this information until i got pregnant. As soon as my crappy old OB told me on my FIRST appointment i was having a 3rd c-section no matter what... i KNEW i had to find a new ob. BUT see some woman trust their OBs so much that they would actually STAY with the idiot telling them that.

i dont look down on women who choose a c/s perse- i have a problem with woman who choose not to know they have a choice.

thats my as to why i think the c/s rate is so high.
Birdof1985 is offline   Reply With Quote