Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-27-2007, 04:31 PM   #1
jessicap
Registered Users
seller

Need some vbac advice/info

I have had 2 previous csections, they were emergency 34 week sections...I am currently pregnant with my 3rd baby, and there are no complications at all, this pregnancy is 1000x different then teh other 2. I am going to attempt a vaginal birth. My OBGYN is totally on board with me and is willing to let me try, but the thing is, is that his partners will not be so willing, and the clinic operates as a partnership, so I may not have my OBGYN for delivery.

I need all the ammo I can as far as research and such goes to back my wishes. I do not want to be bullied or scared into a section. I am perfectly willing to have one in an emergency situation, but I am aware that not all "emergencies" are emergencies if you get my drift. I want to be educated and informed on this so they will take me seriously and know that I am informed of what could happen and the risks and so forth.

I absolutely do not want to have a section again, I cannot imagine having 3 kids, 3 years and under and healing from a section, and I do not want to be robbed of my natural want and desire to deliver naturally.

Thanks ahead of time!!! I appreciate any help or recommendations on what to read or do and so forth!!!

Advertisement

jessicap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 06:30 PM   #2
jessicap
Registered Users
seller

Re: Need some vbac advice/info

Old 09-27-2007, 06:32 PM   #3
Birdof1985
Banned
seller

My Mood:

i had 2 c-sects.. 1 was emergency at 36w6d and 1 wasnt emergency but as at 36w2d with a NICU baby for 2w afterward. This baby will be VBA2C.

some background- i went to my OB who was willing to let me do a VBAC with my 2nd child.. BUT he wouldnt induce me or let me go past my due date and yada yada and in the end when i was in labor and didnt progress and they wouldnt give me pitocin to progress me-- i ended up with a c-sect.
this SAME quack looked at me at my 1st appointment this pregnancy with no emotion if ya ask me and told me no if, ands, or butts i was having a 3rd c-section. My mouth dropped. i found a NEW OB.

-----------------------------------------------------
so i researched on the internet and doulas and read birth stories and found it was quite possible to have a VBA2C. i found that OBs will claim they cant do a VBAC anymore or that the hospital wont- but LEGALLY a OB or hospital can NOT make you have a c-section unless you arent mentally able to make the decison, same as ANY other medical situation. If you walk in there and say i am not having a c-sect and they bug you and bug you and claim every possible situation but yet nothing is majorly wrong with your baby- there is nothing they can legally do.

one woman on here (DS.com) actually WALKED OUT of the hospital in labor because the OB wanted to do a c-section.

I think that you should get a Midwife OR a Doula to work with your OB then. you said your OB is on board but the others may not be-- so get a doula who will stand up for you and what you want if your OB isnt there. Doulas in training often dont charge because they need to attend so many births to get certified.

Get online and look up I-CAN. (i want to say I-CAN.org??)-- they help women find obs and hospitals and get info on VBACS. They even have a form you can fill out to give your OB thats say " i dont want a c-section".. they also have the legal info i was talking about that says they cant force you to have a c-sect against your will.

and MOST of all--- get a birth plan. have YOUR OB sign it. No its not a legal document perse but they try to follow it and if you get a midwife and/or a doula-- they will especially make sure it is followed. put in there word for word

' i dont not want a c-section unless........" and write out what situations would be ok for a section.

HTH--
Birdof1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 06:38 PM   #4
Birdof1985
Banned
seller

My Mood:

resources:

http://ican-online.net/

http://www.dona.org/

some books:
The VBAC Companion or Natural Childbirth After Cesarean
Silent Knife
Birthing From Within or Complete Book of Pregnancy and Childbirth or The Birth Book
Creating a Joyful Birth Experience and/or Mind Over Labor
Transformation Through Birth
Rebounding From Childbirth
Obstetric Myths Vs. Research Realities
Understanding and Teaching Optimal Foetal Positioning
The Labor Progress Handbook
The VBAC Experience

i have heard the Silent Knife and birthing from within are really good
Old 09-27-2007, 06:56 PM   #5
togg_mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had a VBAC with Munchkin. The docs and hospital were willing, but I still waited until the last possible moment to go to the hospital so I wouldn't be sitting there. As it was, when I got there I was dialated to almost 5 and I had Munchkin four hours later. You can do it!
togg_mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 09:49 PM   #6
babygirls2
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I am in the same boat. I said before even wanting to TTC baby #3 that I would just have a c-section. It was easy the other times and what was better than scheduling a birth. I know when to call family etc....but now that I think a/b it more and more...I would love to labor and give birth naturally!

History.............
My first baby was breech and I didn't want to turn her b/c I had a bad feeling a/b it. I done all the exercises to make her turn...I even sat a bowl of ice on top if my belly b/c she would always turn sideways if I propped my bowl of ice cream on top of my belly/her head. Nothing worked. So at the c-section at 37 weeks, her cord was wrapped around her neck....long story short, she probably would have died if they had of turned her. So a c/s was the best thing in that situation. Then baby #2 came along. I discussed a vbac with my OB and he used scare tatics and I said I'll do a repeat c/s. So at 35 weeks I went into PTL and they tried to stop it. I was dilating slowly (almost 3 cm in 8 hours) and was having regular contractions laying and waiting for the OR to become open for my c/s. Now...I want a VBA2C!!!! So I want to get all the info too. When my Dr was telling me a/b rupture etc...he said that our local hossy doesn't allow vbac b/c they do not have an ICU/NICU. I thought if I did rupture I would just go to surgery?

Anyhoo...I want to get all this info down too! BUT...where I am from deep south GA, most people don't even know what a doula is. We have a group a MWs but they SUCK bad!!! I love my OB and don't want to leave him, but what are my options if I don't have a support system? Even my DH said he doesn't care how I give birth...but it's up to the Dr in what we do. WHY???? Why does it always have to be up to the Dr??? Ugh....SO I feel like I'm in a losing battle.
babygirls2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 10:09 PM   #7
ashersmomoo
Registered Users
seller

"The Thinking Women's Guide To A Better Birth" is an awesome book and it has some great VBAC advice. Good luck!
DW to my BFF and DH! In SAHM heaven to my 3 perfect boys: Asher (9/2/05) , Oliver (2/24/08) , and Gabriel (3/30/12) Novice urban farmer, trying to feed my family on 1/3 acre! http://wildcardgardenbug.blogspot.com/
ashersmomoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 10:31 AM   #8
jessicap
Registered Users
seller

Thanks ladies!
Old 09-28-2007, 11:26 AM   #9
marymom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdof1985 View Post
i had 2 c-sects.. 1 was emergency at 36w6d and 1 wasnt emergency but as at 36w2d with a NICU baby for 2w afterward. This baby will be VBA2C.

some background- i went to my OB who was willing to let me do a VBAC with my 2nd child.. BUT he wouldnt induce me or let me go past my due date and yada yada and in the end when i was in labor and didnt progress and they wouldnt give me pitocin to progress me-- i ended up with a c-sect.
this SAME quack looked at me at my 1st appointment this pregnancy with no emotion if ya ask me and told me no if, ands, or butts i was having a 3rd c-section. My mouth dropped. i found a NEW OB.

-----------------------------------------------------
so i researched on the internet and doulas and read birth stories and found it was quite possible to have a VBA2C. i found that OBs will claim they cant do a VBAC anymore or that the hospital wont- but LEGALLY a OB or hospital can NOT make you have a c-section unless you arent mentally able to make the decison, same as ANY other medical situation. If you walk in there and say i am not having a c-sect and they bug you and bug you and claim every possible situation but yet nothing is majorly wrong with your baby- there is nothing they can legally do.

one woman on here (DS.com) actually WALKED OUT of the hospital in labor because the OB wanted to do a c-section.

I think that you should get a Midwife OR a Doula to work with your OB then. you said your OB is on board but the others may not be-- so get a doula who will stand up for you and what you want if your OB isnt there. Doulas in training often dont charge because they need to attend so many births to get certified.

Get online and look up I-CAN. (i want to say I-CAN.org??)-- they help women find obs and hospitals and get info on VBACS. They even have a form you can fill out to give your OB thats say " i dont want a c-section".. they also have the legal info i was talking about that says they cant force you to have a c-sect against your will.

and MOST of all--- get a birth plan. have YOUR OB sign it. No its not a legal document perse but they try to follow it and if you get a midwife and/or a doula-- they will especially make sure it is followed. put in there word for word

' i dont not want a c-section unless........" and write out what situations would be ok for a section.

HTH--

that was ME
Old 09-28-2007, 12:40 PM   #10
Birdof1985
Banned
seller

My Mood:

hey that was an AMAZING story too