Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-19-2006, 09:08 PM   #1
betty_joanne
Registered Users
seller
seller

I guess i just need comforting-starting solids

I never thought i would make it through the first couple months of breast feeding. Dd was always on the boob and i would only get 15-30 minutes without her eating.
Well, dd will be 10 months in a week and she had her 9 month apt today (dr was on vacation so it was a little late ). At her 6 month visit the dr said to start solids. I said o.k. but never really did faithfully.. So, for the past 2 months she has had a dabble here and there(spoon full) like 1-3 times/week of a fruit or a veggie baby food. We only tried cereal with her once(like 3 months ago) and that was nasty. She made the worst face so i haven't tried it since. At the apt. today the dr seemed upset that dd wasn't getting 2 meals regularily(sp??) per day of a fruit, veggie, or cereal. What should i do?? I don't want to do the cereal because i feel like it has no nutritional value. I am ok with fruits and veggies but does she really need 2 a day in addition to nursing. I don't wan't her to wean and then have to start formula because she accidentally weaned herself. I am not ready to give up nursing dd just yet.
Taking dd to the dr just bugs me. Today it was dd's "tone" was lacking. Basically when she is in a sitting position she is wobbly(sp??).

Advertisement

Old 07-19-2006, 09:16 PM   #2
bundeleh
Registered Users
seller

Re: I guess i just need comforting-starting solids

betty_joanne it's rough to feel like maybe DD doesn't need you as much! DD is also 9 months old. I started her on solids at 4 months b/c she refused to take a bottle from her sitter and I was back to work.

Everything I am about to say is my opinion and you are free to disagree.

Cereal does have nutritional value. Cereal is the staff of life! Baby cereals are fortified with iron, which by this your DD probably needs and is not getting in large quantities via breastmilk. My DD doesn't love the cereal, but I mix it in with other things -- including b'milk! Her midmorning meal is usally yogurt + fruit + cereal, a baby version of my own b'fast!

If she doesn't like whatever it is, you should try again. Babies do not take to most new foods right away. My DD refused sweet potatoes for a long time, but now loves them. And the other day she finally accepted green beans after having always turned her nose up at them. Just give your DD a chance to develop some taste buds ... maybe she will surprise you with likes and dislikes.

Just b/c you are giving solids baby will not wean ... she still loves your closeness, your warmth, and the delicious milk. My DD wakes me up in the morning to nurse; we nurse before I go to work. At daycare she has 2 sollid meals. When we get home, we nurse. Then she has a lite dinner. Then we nurse to sleep! So you can see the solids and the b'milk complement each other.

I have found feeding DD solid foods to be a fun adventure, although often frustrating as babies can be so picky. I hope you and DD can enjoy it too!

Last edited by bundeleh; 07-19-2006 at 09:17 PM.
bundeleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 10:42 PM   #3
MommyMommyMommy
Registered Users
seller

I know what you are going through! This is my first baby that will actually nurse and I was so completely paranoid about starting solids that when my ped. said to start cereal at 4 months I said "OK" but never did I didn't start my little guy on solid food until about 8 months and I've found that our nursing hasn't cut down that much. He nurses now to 'wash down' his solids. I feed him fruits and veggies and a lot of times I'll mix cereal in with them. I've found that my little guy likes his food cold (it's stinkin' Arizona, who wouldn't!) so I'll keep the jars in the fridge until he's ready to eat. It did take me a while to get him to eat from a spoon because I waited so long to try but he's eating like a pro now and still nursing just as much!

hugs to you, do whatever you feel is best for your baby!
MommyMommyMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 10:51 PM   #4
SheilaJoy
I grow people
seller

I could have written your post! Except dd is about a month younger than yours. But really, the solids haven't cut down on our nursing time much at all. (I still haven't gotten AF).
And I have fun experimenting with new foods, and watching her "chew" with her gums, it's so adorable. The closeness is still there, and now she's actually filling up and gaining some weight.
Oh, and the tastes do change. At first they don't like something, but a week later, they decide they do.
SheilaJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 10:56 PM   #5
ChurchPunkMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

There's nothing wrong with the way you're doing things.
I've done things differently with all of my kids..
Aidan - started solids at 6mo "by the book" so to speak
Kieran - started solids around 5mo, didn't get "serious" til 6-7mo.
Torrin - dabbled in solids at 6mo. He didn't like baby food much and I found it to be a hassle with 2 older kids plus babysitting my niece and nephew full time. He didn't really start eating "meals" until he was about 10mo and was able to start eating more table food.
Eliana - still exclusively bf with the occasional taste of what we're eating.

Aidan nursed for one year (as I said, we were very "by the book" w/him), Kieran for about 9-10mo (problems w/supply), Torrin for 20mo (weaned while I was pg and I had little to no milk left). Solids are not the beginning of the end with nursing, but their purpose is mainly for practice with taste and texture - so that it won't be a big struggle when they need to start. We plan on skipping baby food this time - it just seems pointless now. (We're an allergy free family.)
ChurchPunkMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 08:57 AM   #6
betty_joanne
Registered Users
seller
seller

I feel better today. She is ready for the solids so i need to atleast start with 1 a day. Still nixing the cereal though because she gets iron from me and can also get it from things like squash,sweet potatoe, etc.
She's doesn't spit out any of the food, leans foward for more, tries to help hold the spoon, etc.
I mean she has 6 teeth for goodness sake. They need to be put to good use.
Old 07-20-2006, 09:49 AM   #7
ShelleyD
Registered Users

Your worries aren't unfounded! BM should be the primary source of nutrition for the first year (even according to the American Academy of Pediatrics). Food for now is just for fun, if you will. If you do give her lots of solids, it's definitely possible that she'll nurse less. You should always nurse prior to giving her solids so that she doesn't fill up on solid food and not nurse.

Shelley
ShelleyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 09:58 AM   #8
rpg_mommy
Registered Users

Don't worry about the iron either! BM has a lower percentage of iron in it, but it's in a much easier to absorb form than what they add to formula or cereal. So even though the amount is less, they absorb more of it. Does that make sense?

Don't stress about the nursing either! My DS is 8 mo now and we started cereal with him at 4 mo because he was super interested in what we were eating. He eats a couple of meals a day of (homemade) solids now (cereal and oatmeal are mixed with BM) and still nurses 5-6 times a day. Sometimes food just won't do, and he just wants to nurse - talk about making mama feel loved!

Good luck with your little one!
rpg_mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 10:25 AM   #9
wahoowhippets
Registered Users
seller

Dont feed that baby cereal crap it is essentially worthless...your baby just needs the boob for most of her nutrients, solids are for fun only, even up to two years old! Don't sweat it and just lie to the doc to get them off your case. Always offer the boob first, then a little solids if she really, really wants them. Breast milk has everything she needs!
wahoowhippets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 09:15 AM   #10
betty_joanne
Registered Users
seller
seller

Letting everyone know that things are going well with the daily solids for dd.
We only have one a day-either a fruit or veggie depending on what is left(we switch off after finishing one).
It has been fun for both of us. She still nurses a lot so no problems w/ accidental weaning.
It has also prompted a sorta bedtime routine. Eat a veggie(or fruit) baby food, drink a sip of water and then have teeth brushed before bed.
No cereal "crap" here