Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-27-2007, 01:19 PM   #1
mtietz
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
CDing the "bigger" newborn (with pics!)

On September 5th, we welcomed home our second darling daughter. Aliza weighed in at 8 lbs, 8 oz and the nurses commented on what a big baby she is. Dacey (our oldest) was 9 lbs, 12 oz at birth, so Aliza seems very TINY to me!

Anyway, I know I can't be the only mama around here who has "bigger" newborns, so I wanted to share my thoughts and some pics if anyone is interested.

These were all taken on her 3 week bday. She was 8 lbs, 8 oz at birth and 8 lbs, 10 oz at two weeks when we started using cloth.

I am finding I really still love pockets. I guess I am just a pocket mama! My faves for now are XS Fuzzi Bunz. AJ seems to be a little short in the rise, and the XS fits so much better lengthwise. She is on the last snaps already but I think I can get them to last a little longer. I hope! Mother of Eden says XS will fit through 12 lbs, but I would be amazed to see these on a baby bigger than 9.5 lbs or so. Here is a pic of one on:

And here she is in a small FB:

The small fits fine around her waist and thighs and I know she will have lots of grow room in them . . . again, I just really like the shorter rise of the XS right now.

Oh, and i love the fleece on these! Not a one of them has held onto any bf poop stains. They all look brand new!!

The other pockets we are using are the small Happy Heinys. HH says small starts at 8 lbs, and they aren't kidding! For a smaller baby, they would definitely need the Tiny Heiny size. I almost need a crossover tab for the smalls on AJ! But HH are really generously sized - Dacey (two and a half) can actually still wear her medium HH!

And I have quite a few bumGenius! one-size 1.0s from Dacey's stash. They fit okay right now on the smallest snap setting, but I think they would fit much better if I had some smaller inserts. The CB inserts (snapped down) are pretty bulky on a newborn, IMO. But it works fine.

More in the next post . . .

Advertisement

Last edited by mtietz; 09-27-2007 at 01:26 PM.
mtietz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 01:21 PM   #2
mtietz
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: CDing the "bigger" newborn (with pics!)

As far as fitteds go, I had a newborn Swaddlebee fitted (organic velour maybe?) that I adored, but there is no way I can even snap it on Aliza now. I think she wore it twice. It was so soft and squishy! I have some Kissaluv 0's but didn't get pics of those because I think everyone has seen them. They work fine, but do need a doubler already. (not very absorbent) A fitted I am liking much better is the small HH fitted:

It has much more absorbency through the wet zone. It is a little long through the rise right now, but again, I am sure she will get a lot of wear out of this.

I also got some of the cotton infant fitteds from Green Mountain Diapers. I really like these for a basic and cheap fitted ($6 each!). They are a little long still, but very easy to roll the top down to get a better fit.

I am CRAZY in love with my XS Thirsties covers!!! Again, take the company at their word on how generously sized these are. I think AJ will be in XS for quite a while. These are by FAR my favorite PUL covers and I think I will sell off my BSWW and Proraps to get more of these. Here is one over the GMD infant fitted:

I got some NB/SM Loveybums sherpa fitteds. These are truly newborn sized and I don't think we have much longer with them:

I also have a NB/SM Loveybums wool cover that is AWESOME! But again, not sure how much longer I can use this one on her (getting tight at the waist):

Just a few more in the next post . . .
Old 09-27-2007, 01:23 PM   #3
mtietz
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Okay, finally, the basics.

Here's a trifolded infant PF in a small BSWW:

Probably my least favorite right now . . . but I think as she gets longer, I will like this more.

I only have infant sized PFs and that has worked fine. I don't think I could have gotten a preemie sized PF on her! Here is one snappied on in a basic fold:

And again with one of her XS Thirsties over it:

The only thing I haven't tried yet are our flats, and I simply haven't had time to look up a good flat fold for newborns. Soon though!

Overall, I am happy with the stash I had put together. I will need to start selling some things soon, but everything is working great for now. Again, I just can't say enough how much I LOVE the Thirsties covers! I may have to try some of their fitteds eventually, too.

Thanks for letting me share!
Old 09-27-2007, 01:27 PM   #4
ClothDiaperingMama
Registered Users
seller

What an absolutely gorgeous baby you have!

I am sure lots of mamas with "bigger" newborns will really appreciate this post!

My babies were 9lbs.10oz, 8lbs.3ozs{born at 38weeks} and 7lbs.14 1/2 ozs. {born at 37 weeks}. The first one came home in 6-9 month clothes! She was still swollen though.. I had GD.

Thanks for sharing!
Old 09-27-2007, 01:27 PM   #5
nadia
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Awesome pics mama! I have bigger newborns too, I am always shOcked at how tiny they seem though!
Old 09-27-2007, 01:32 PM   #6
lmsscs
Registered Users

Those are great pics!!!! I'm not sure if I am expecting a small or a big baby but good to know what worked for yours.
lmsscs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 01:34 PM   #7
clarinetb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for the pictures OUr little one was 9lbs at birth. The nurses commented she was big for my build - I told them my mum is 3 inches shorter than me and I was 9lbs 12oz and they were shocked - my sister is younger and was ONLY 9lbs and my mum had the same reaction as you, she was so small

Great to see some of the smalls are a great fit and that XS arent' necessary for a larger newborn We didn't use most of these when she was born, some one-size and some cheap fitteds mostly.

Congratualtions on her arrival!
Old 09-27-2007, 01:40 PM   #8
AshleyKayC1980
Registered Users

My Mood:

Congrats on your newest little one! My son was born 8/21 and weighed 8lbs 8oz too :P He was my biggest baby , as my girls were all 7lbs and some odd oz. Loved the pics... she is a cutie! I love the thirsties covers..and I did try some of the newborn on Jake..didnt last very long at all...now i use them for burbs and will shove him in a pocket diaper though.
Old 09-27-2007, 01:40 PM   #9
aept
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for sharing such nice pics! Your dd is so cute!
I wish I had taken more pics of my ds in his cd's as a newborn. I do have a cute one (when he was still really skinny with his little chicken legs) in a froggy bsww. I love that one.
aept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 01:43 PM   #10
aundy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had big babies ... 12 lbs at 40 wks and 9 lbs 10 oz at 37 wks so we went straight to mediums w/charlie ... I think I only had a couple of smalls and he was out of them in no time