Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-28-2007, 05:31 PM   #11
grisaleen
Registered Users
seller

Re: How Did You Beat Thrush?

Hmmm.. Most things have been mentioned here. I also bought some monistat and put that on my nipples after feedings (not before!). I also walked around a lot with no shirt on and the nursing bra open. I cut out carbs, sugar, and dairy for a while, but like you said, it's HARD. I took garlic extract, GSE, and acidophilus (sp?). Man, I hope you get this cleared up!

Advertisement

Old 09-28-2007, 09:18 PM   #12
rainbowbrite812
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

we battled thrush for the first 2 months and finally i just gave up. i stopped taking EVERYTHING other than Life Start infant/nursing moms probiotics and it cleared up on it's own!

every now and then i notice a small patch in his mouth and just swab my nipples & his mouth with diluted gse and it clears up the next day.

10% off code for Oliver's Labels, perfect for back to school! use code KBPG0808
rainbowbrite812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 09:24 PM   #13
afishwithabike
Registered Users

My Mood:

HOnestly....Grapefruit seed extract. There is some contraversy around using this but it has worked really well for us.
Old 09-29-2007, 12:10 AM   #14
jessicah
Registered Users
seller

Try coconut oil, with a fresh garlic glove chopped in it. Stored it in the fridge and use it after the baby nurses. It works. Garlic and coconut oil inhibit fungus.

Buy good quality coconut oil from someone online. Try www.wildernessfamilynaturals.com or www.tropicaltradions.com

You can rub the plain coconut oil in the babies mouth. It is good for them,too.

Also, if you can make kefir (find an online source for the kefir grains) you can rub the kefir milk in your babes mouth and on your breasts.

That works great too.
Old 09-30-2007, 11:39 PM   #15
jess152
Registered Users

Add me to the growing list of sufferers!

I've been struggling with a 'crappy breast' (someone on here coined the expression) since June and only diagnosed as thrush last month. The dr hadn't seen it before and so mistakenly prescribed only half the recommended dose of Diflucan. Since my husband and I are self employed we have no health benefits through employer, so now I'm on the second batch of Diflucan and out $300! Gah! What a waste of time and money.

But, there is a wonderful breast health nurse at the hospital who recommended the Jack Newman all purpose nipple cream and the local pharmacy whipped up a batch for me. It's cleared up the awful sore I've had on my nipple (on the 'crappy breast'!) for the last few months. For anyone with thrush problems that have manifested that way, get this cream, it's really helped.

We've started on the grapefruit seed extract and all I can say is, don't mix it with apple juice! Yuck. It tastes great in orange juice though. I've only had two days of it, so hopefully it will kick in and do something.

My mom casually asked if weaning might help. She knows how much I am loving breastfeeding, and I vehemently told her it was not an option!!!

Hang in there mamas!
jess152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 12:26 AM   #16
Boheme
Registered Users
Formerly: happyve**n
seller

My Mood:

I had it for months with my first baby and I even took two weeks of diflucan which didn't even help (along with everything else...gentian violet, tea tree, etc). Finally, I used homeopathic pulsatilla and put vinegar and olive oil on my nipples (think salad dressing ) and voila! In a week it was gone! GSE helped us a bit too, if I'm remembering correctly.

Please get the pulsatilla though. It saved my bf'ing relationship. How my homeopath prescribed it was: get 30C tablets, and every day get a bottled water, put one tablet in it, and shake/drink from it over the course of the day, a drink at a time (that way you're only using one tablet a day). Do this every day until you're well, and then for a week after (and again if you ever feel even the slightest sign of it coming back).

Boheme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 12:58 AM   #17
Boheme
Registered Users
Formerly: happyve**n
seller

My Mood:

I forgot to mention that you can give the pulsatilla to the baby as well, in the same fashion but just a few drops at a time. Make sure to shake it *vigorously* first and use purified drinking water, or ideally distilled water.

Boheme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 10:26 AM   #18
happysahm
Registered Users
Formerly: mama22boys
seller

My Mood:

Well we are on our way to recovery. DS's yeast rash is gone and he's never had the patches in his mouth, but I'm still treating both areas with GSE for the next two weeks to make sure it is gone. We just finished a round of GV. We've been using it for a week. Now I've got to work on all the purple stains. I'm still swabbing with GSE and taking acidopholous and diflucan. My dr. prescribed it for 6 weeks. I'm still not eating sugar and very low carbs. I guess the one good thing that's come out of this is I'm about 8lbs lighter now.

Also, I've only had shooting pains in one breast and I think that's a whole other issue. DS has been clamping down really hard when he nurses. He is weaning, so sometimes it's several days in between nursings. He did nurse yesterday morning and it was uncomfortable for me. When he was done, I noticed he had either bitten or chewed a whole on the side of my nipple. OUCH! He's not nursing on that side anymore. I think the supply has gone down and he's trying to force it out. I really don't know, but since he's almost weaned its probably not worth paying an LC to come over and evaluate. Good luck fighting the yeasties! You can beat them into submission.
Old 10-01-2007, 06:28 PM   #19
icanonlyimagine
Theres a Scent for that!
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

for Gracie I got a prescription for nystasin (I think thats what it was called) but for myself I used that purple stuff... genetin violet I think.... somthing like that... it dyed me and her mouth purple for about a month, but it went away pretty qucik
Old 10-01-2007, 06:44 PM   #20
mama2c&a
Registered Users
seller

I used the nystatin that was prescribed for Aubrey's mouth on myself (I think 2-3 times a day) after the ped's nurse advised it and it cleared up pretty quickly for both of us. Oh and I did have to swab inside of her mouth with q-tips instead of just squirting it in there to completely clear it up inside of her cheeks.