Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-30-2007, 08:20 PM   #21
zionnecherub
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Why?

I had TV ultrasounds with all pg's because I dont track my cycles and dates I just never have. I also think that it is a great technology. Not everything that comes from the medical world is evil. I had a u/s a few days ago and got some scary news that we are waiting to hear back on. DS that lives inside me possibly has a brain abnormality. It could be serious, and it could be nothing (praying), but it requires multiple ultrasound follow ups to make sure. Ultrasounds can be life saving for mothers and babies.

Advertisement

Old 09-30-2007, 11:31 PM   #22
ClothDiaperingMama
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by zionnecherub View Post
I had TV ultrasounds with all pg's because I dont track my cycles and dates I just never have. I also think that it is a great technology. Not everything that comes from the medical world is evil. I had a u/s a few days ago and got some scary news that we are waiting to hear back on. DS that lives inside me possibly has a brain abnormality. It could be serious, and it could be nothing (praying), but it requires multiple ultrasound follow ups to make sure. Ultrasounds can be life saving for mothers and babies.
Exactly! I, like a number of people on this board, are so sick of certain people saying the medical world is evil and that everything they do is wrong. It gets so old. I guess that is why I have a It is mostly their fear talking and no actual research they can post or point to.

I am so sorry that you are having to wait for tests results for your baby. I hope everything turns out fine mama! I know how scary it can be waiting. I will be praying for you Mama! What a scary thing to wait for!
Old 09-30-2007, 11:43 PM   #23
kalebnlillismomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oy. I had one at that time even though I told them that I was REALLY early, but they said according to my dates I wasn't. I was right I saw the same thing then, and worried, until I went in later.
Old 09-30-2007, 11:56 PM   #24
Birdof1985
Banned
seller

My Mood:

i had one done this pregnancy at 5w6d (somewhere near there).. i had it done cause i didnt know my exact dates. i had one 1w before this and they didnt see anything but a thickened lining.

baby,HB, and all that and everything was fine.
Birdof1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 12:19 AM   #25
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:

I had U/S with my last three around 8 weeks to check dates. That said, i used to be all gung ho about U/S until my last pregnancy.

My doctor sent me out to a perinatologist for an U/S because his machine was down. The Peri told me that my baby had IUGR (growth restriction) at 24 weeks. I needed to see him two times a week for Biophysical profiles and NST's. I also saw him every 2 weeks for growth U/S's. To make a long story short, i was induced at 35 weeks being told that my baby would weigh around 4 pounds if I was lucky. I had an amnio the day before the check for lung maturity and all was well. I went to the hospital for my induction and ten hours later i gave birth to a TOTALLY FINE 6 pound 1 ounce baby. not a 3 or 4 pound baby like they had told me THE DAY BEFORE, a 6 pound baby.

So i dont totally believe in the whole technology anymore. And yes, the peri i was seeing was one of the highest rated doctors in the US and the machine was a brand new GE 4-D machine.

There is a lot of research out there that U/S can be damaging to babies and cause problems like dyslexia, ADD etc. Of course it has its pros and cons and every mother needs to make the decision herself. I don't believe that women with very little risk factors need routine U/S. I used to, but not anymore.

But for the OP, it is becoming increasingly popular for OBs to date pregnancies with trans vaginal U/S at 5-10 weeks. And seeing very little at 5 weeks is absolutely normal.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 01:08 PM   #26
joyful mother
Registered Users
seller
seller

I have 2 concerns with ultrasound one being the technology is not proven safe, instead of bashing those who say this go look it up for yourself and see that they are right. The second concern I have is yes they can detect problems but how many of these problems can actually have something done about them before baby comes. I have many friends who have worried for months because something was thought to have been seen on the ultrasound and it turned out no problems but my concern would be what does all that worry do to the little one. Also I've seen ultrasounds miss big things like heart defects, and this moms gut said something was different this pregnancy but she was told all was fine.

Are ultrasounds useful? YES, they determined I had a ruptured tube through ultra sound and then proceeded to do surgery, to save my life. When something is off you do an ultrasound! Would you get an MRI just to see what was in there? Would you have routine x-rays done just to make sure you have no broken bones? For my family unless we have a reason for concern of broken bones we avoid the possible side effects but if we suspect a broken bone we do the x-ray, the use outweighs the risk.

I feel doing an ultrasound before you are likely to see much is kind of useless and just causes worry, have patience and wait a few weeks if you really do need one. Believe me if you have an ectopic or something of that sort you will know there is a problem before it is too late and speaking from experience my advice would be get your butt in there ASAP and get the ultrasound. And yes I'm 5 months pregnant and have not had an ultrasound this time around, why you might ask with me being "high risk" (so they say) because 2 things, I know what the early warning signs of an ectopic feel like and had none of them and 2 I trust my gut feeling that says everything is okay. With the ectopic my gut told me early on that things were NOT okay and I chose to ignore it and will never do that again.

I do have a friend that has had multiple miscarriages and she's not sure she knows what her gut feeling is anymore because of the fear that comes in, in that kind of situation you may need to do a little more monitoring, hearing the doppler heartbeat is her sign that everything will be okay. But do you know that up until that point no monitoring has ever saved a baby of hers but just intensified her anxiety, she just has to wait.

Medical technology is wonderful when needed, but can be dangerous when just done for entertainment or when it overtakes the mothers intuition.

Last edited by joyful mother; 10-01-2007 at 01:32 PM.
joyful mother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 01:50 PM   #27
ClothDiaperingMama
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyful mother View Post
I have 2 concerns one being the technology is not proven safe, instead of bashing those who say this go look it up for yourself and see that they are right. The second concern I have is yes they can detect problems but how many of these problems can actually have something done about them before baby comes. I have many friends who have worried for months because something was thought to have been seen on the ultrasound and it turned out no problems but what does all that worry do to the little one. Also I've seen ultrasounds miss big things like heart defects. Are they useful yes, they determined I had a ruptured tube through ultra sound and then proceeded to do surgery. When something is off you do an ultrasound! Would you have routine x-rays done just to make sure you have no broken bones~NO, unless you have a reason for concern you avoid the possible side effects. I feel doing an ultrasound before you are likely to see much is kind of useless, have patience and wait a few weeks if you really do need one. Believe me if you have an ectopic or something of that sort you will know there is a problem before it is too late and speaking from experience my advice would be get your butt in there ASAP and get the ultrasound.
I don't think anyone was bashing anyone. It was stated that BOTH sides need to do their research and they should. I also don't remember comparing X-rays to ultrasounds? Again.. two different things. Just to help those who are confused... Ultrasounds are sound waves and X-rays are radiation. U/S are a lot safer than Xrays. They are two very different things... meaning absolutely no comparison.
Most pregnant women are given atleast one routine u/s per pregnancy which is usually 20 weeks if the mother is healthy and there aren't any concerns. The woman CAN decline if she so chooses. I again, don't remember ever saying that a pregnant woman who didn't have problems or where the doctor didn't suspect problems would do routine u/s throughout pregnancy. "I" was talking about myself and the fact that my children don't have any "side effects" like some posted that they would/should/or could. I don't think anyone is suggesting that everyone have a ton of u/s done for fun. I may have missed where someone else stated that, but I know I never did.
I think the BEST and ONLY thing for a patient in any situation should do is to find out all the info on any procedure being done and its possible side effects, if any. I think that should go whether one is pregnant or not. They also need to know the possible problems or outcome if whatever treatment is declined.

Again.. everyone can and should make up their own minds what is and isn't safe, etc for their families/self. It isn't okay to go around scaring people unless you have solid research or at this point ANY research pointing to the dangers of ultrasounds. I, like most people reading this, are really wanting to see the solid research that you have stating it is dangerous. You stated that it wasn't proven safe... where is the research stating it isn't? I would like to correct myself if need be. I think if you have that solid research you should definitely post it for the mamas who "don't know the dangers".
I am truly interested in seeing it. From the PMs that I am getting.. other people are too. So instead of the constant back & forth why not post all this solid research for us to see? I am not debating as I really would love to see that research pllease.
Old 10-01-2007, 02:00 PM   #28
kezoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think the point is that there is NOT any solid research proving it is SAFE. You can't have research that proves the absence of something - the research has NOT BEEN DONE, and thus many mamas don't agree it is safe simply because "everyone" does it, KWIM? The comparison to x-rays was not to say they are the same, but that doctors used to think x-rays were safe to use on pregnant women - because the research hadn't been done, and it was the standard of care at the time - thus it may be a similar situation - e.g. everyone thinks it is safe because of the lack of research proving it isn't safe - but lack of research doesn't prove ANYTHING.
kezoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 02:11 PM   #29
ClothDiaperingMama
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by kezoo View Post
I think the point is that there is NOT any solid research proving it is SAFE. You can't have research that proves the absence of something - the research has NOT BEEN DONE, and thus many mamas don't agree it is safe simply because "everyone" does it, KWIM? The comparison to x-rays was not to say they are the same, but that doctors used to think x-rays were safe to use on pregnant women - because the research hadn't been done, and it was the standard of care at the time - thus it may be a similar situation - e.g. everyone thinks it is safe because of the lack of research proving it isn't safe - but lack of research doesn't prove ANYTHING.
I am not meaning to sound mean, but I am totally confused. Are you saying that there can't be any research showing something is not safe until there is research showing that it is safe? I think if there were some bad side effects that most militant moms would be all over it, don't you? I know that if I had a baby that was messed up because of u/s I would be shouting it from the roof tops. I don't know of any other mom who would keep that quiet or continue to do it with other pregnancies. I don't believe that there isn't a "lack of research" as so many people have u/s done every day. I am sure doctors and patients alone would notice any "side effects" they wouldn't need to wait on any research because they would have their own. I am glad for this conversation though as I plan to ask my peri about the "dangers" of u/s whether there are solid research or not. I think it is imperative that we find out for sure.

On your same thought process.. the LACK of something doesn't prove it's existence either. I think if something were dangerous.. we would definitely see some results of it.

Last edited by ClothDiaperingMama; 10-01-2007 at 02:13 PM.
ClothDiaperingMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 02:39 PM   #30
kezoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClothDiaperingMama View Post
I am not meaning to sound mean, but I am totally confused. Are you saying that there can't be any research showing something is not safe until there is research showing that it is safe? I think if there were some bad side effects that most militant moms would be all over it, don't you? I know that if I had a baby that was messed up because of u/s I would be shouting it from the roof tops. I don't know of any other mom who would keep that quiet or continue to do it with other pregnancies. I don't believe that there isn't a "lack of research" as so many people have u/s done every day. I am sure doctors and patients alone would notice any "side effects" they wouldn't need to wait on any research because they would have their own. I am glad for this conversation though as I plan to ask my peri about the "dangers" of u/s whether there are solid research or not. I think it is imperative that we find out for sure.

On your same thought process.. the LACK of something doesn't prove it's existence either. I think if something were dangerous.. we would definitely see some results of it.
No I am saying the lack of evidence doesn't prove ANYTHING, safe or unsafe, and therefore some mamas choose to defer on the conservative side.

As for side effects, nobody is saying u/s cause something as obvious as 3 heads (LOL) - the side effects listed are subtle (e.g. ADD) - ones that may have many causes and you cannot have ANY way of knowing whether the u/s contributed. You only have one of each child, and you have absolutely no way of knowing what they might be like if you had not had a u/s, KWIM? You can't compare the child that was exposed to u/s waves to an identical one that was not, so saying your child is perfectly fine is a non-sequiter - what are you comparing to??

There are tons of products/chemical/procedures that people think are safe because "my dd is perfectly fine" and then come to find out there are risks, because the dangers don't present themselves obviously or immediately (e.g. Bis-A leaching out of polycarbonate bottles).

As I said before, just because something is "the standard of care", doesn't mean it is safe if no long-term studies have been done. I am NOT saying it is unsafe, there just isn't any proof either way (as my OB has stated several times).
kezoo is offline   Reply With Quote