Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-28-2007, 09:31 PM   #1
zebaby
Registered Users

My Mood:
Unhappy Teething question for those who "cry it out"...

I'm not a huge fan of CIO but we did end up using a modified version of it and made a huge difference in DS's sleep. He got to the point where he was sleeping about 10-11 hours straight per night! Now, DS is almost 10 months, and he has recently begun teething (about 1 month ago) and his sleep has gotten worse. He wakes about twice per night (once within the first hour & a half then again about 2:00 - 3:00 a.m.) sometimes more.

How do you deal with a teething baby at night? From what I understand about CIO, the whole point is to get them to learn to soothe themselves. So, does that mean if he's teething I should let him cry; or do I go in and comfort him because he's in pain? I'm really confused. It was hard enough for me to let him CIO in the first place but I don't want to un-do what was so hard to do in the first place.

I should add that along with him starting to teethe, I returned to work part time. So, I'm not sure if that has anything to do with his new pattern of waking. I'm guessing it might be a little of both. Also, during the day, his teething pain doesn't seem to bother him too much - if that makes any difference.

Advertisement

Last edited by zebaby; 09-28-2007 at 09:33 PM.
zebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 09:46 PM   #2
lovemybabies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Teething question for those who "cry it out"...

You could try giving him teething tablets and tylenol before bed. If he's in pain, it would reduce it so "hopefully" he won't wake up.
lovemybabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 09:52 PM   #3
Griffinsmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

*puts flame proof panties on*
We did a modifed Ferber method intervention to help ds#1 learn to fall asleep on his own. It didn't take long for him to figure it out and be fine with it- two mights I think. (he had gotten to the point that rocking, rubbing etc was just keeping him awake and annoying him ) I did it at a time when he was healthy and all other things were going well. I always went to check on him if he cried or needed us and still do- that's what I liked about Ferber. You can always go in and see how lo is doing and what they need. If what he needs is to go to sleep, I'd rub his back and soothe him for a brief time, tell him it's time for sleep and go. If he needed a bottle/drink, tylenol or anything else like too hot/too cold etc I could do that too THEN go and let him sleep.

I think it's always ok to go in and assess the situation. I actually think it's extremely important from a safety point of view too. The whole point is too help them learn to self soothe and fall asleep on heir own, but you can't do that very well if you aren't meeting their needs right? If his teeth are really bugging him, some tylenol/motrin before bed might help too. Just my
Griffinsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 10:02 PM   #4
fargomom27
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My little guy is a power teether - often getting 4 teeth at a time. He's just getting one of his eyeteeth in and he slept terribly for about two weeks. The past two nights, though, he's almost back to normal.

When he gets up at night, one of us goes to get him. If it's around 12 or 1 am, I usually go down to comfort him (nurse him). If it's anytime after 4 am, my DH usually goes down to get him and he comes into bed with us for the remainder of his sleep.

I've noticed that his sleep is always interrupted during teething, even when he's had teething tablets and/or Tylenol. Fortunately, I've also noticed that his sleeping usually goes back to normal once the tooth pops through.

I've just chalked teething sleep interruptions to the old phrase "This, too, shall pass." (OK, I know some docs may say that teething does not cause sleep interruptions but I disagree!)
Old 09-28-2007, 10:12 PM   #5
michiko
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We would go tend to her **if** she happenned to wake up while teething. I dont think she did hardly ever. We usually would give her a nice "cocktail" of Tylenol, teething tablets and gripe water before bed if we knew she was teething. But if she woke up, daddy had to get her because otherwise she assumed she was getting to nurse, which is why we had to resort to the "CIO" method with her. I used a VERY modified version of this as a PP stated.
Old 09-28-2007, 11:20 PM   #6
MommyRidd
Registered Users

My Mood:

I have a kiddo who is up 2-4 times a night, every night since the day he was born...& he's 14 months...If I KNOW for certain he's teething & that's what is causing his night-wakings, then I simply prepare a Q-tip with teething gel on it, go to his crib, lay him back down, swab his gums real good, tell him night night & walk out the door. And I usually do give him teething tablets before he goes to bed, as well. I'll only administer Motrin if we're well into the night & he doesn't seem to be able to settle down.

If I'm really unsure if it's teething, then I usually do comfort him the best I can. My problem is that I'm also trying to wean him from nursing at night - I'm just exhausted as it is having to be up so many times a night still - we've only had one "bad" night of crying - 90 minutes off & on - but since then, he seems to have gotten the idea that it's quick visits & that's it.

And my son also exhibits very little pain due to teething during the day as well. I'm sure it's because "life" is a good distractor, they're having fun, mom & dad are around, that sort of thing.

I'd be willing to bet that if you tried CIO one night, it'd be shorter than you imagined & it wouldn't take much to get him back to his routine, simply because he's older & you've jumped that hurdle with him before.

HTH!
MommyRidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 07:35 PM   #7
zebaby
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiko View Post
We usually would give her a nice "cocktail" of Tylenol, teething tablets and gripe water before bed if we knew she was teething.
Does the gripe water help? I have some from when he was a newborn with gastric issues.
Also, is it possible to give too many different homeopathic remedies ? I'll probably try to steer clear of acetometaphin (sp?) or any teething gels unless it gets absolutely unbearable (for him as well as us).
Old 10-01-2007, 01:09 PM   #8
michiko
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebaby View Post
Does the gripe water help? I have some from when he was a newborn with gastric issues.
Also, is it possible to give too many different homeopathic remedies ? I'll probably try to steer clear of acetometaphin (sp?) or any teething gels unless it gets absolutely unbearable (for him as well as us).
Gripe water always helps her chill out. We don't give full doses of the three. Probably a half dose of each. We have never had issues and she is a perfectly normal kid, so I cant tell you about overusing homeopathetic remedies.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:58 PM   #9
zebaby
Registered Users

My Mood:

I can't tell if he's actually waking due to the teething or if it's just for lonliness, I guess that's my worry. He squirms around a bit and DH seems to think that it's because he can't get comfortable because of the pain. HELP!
Old 10-03-2007, 10:11 PM   #10
liramom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hylands makes a teething gel also. You could go in a give him a teething tablet, gel combo and tell him it is time to go back to sleep and see if he settles down again. If it is teething the tablets should make a difference. It's really hard to overdose homeopathic remedies.
liramom is offline   Reply With Quote