Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-03-2007, 11:12 PM   #11
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Teething question for those who "cry it out"...

If my child is in pain, I comfort him. Even if you choose to use CIO, it would seem the obvious thing not to let your child cry when they are hurting. *shrug*

Advertisement

Old 10-04-2007, 07:23 AM   #12
JackieLyn
feeling festive
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer23 View Post
If my child is in pain, I comfort him. Even if you choose to use CIO, it would seem the obvious thing not to let your child cry when they are hurting. *shrug*
Old 10-04-2007, 09:37 PM   #13
zebaby
Registered Users

My Mood:

That's what's so difficult for me to deal with. I'm not sure why he's crying since he doesn't seem to show any obvious signs of pain (only once did he ever wake up knawing his fist). My first instinct is to comfort him, of course, and make it all feel better but I don't want to get him into a bad waking cycle where he needs to nurse every time he goes through his natural waking cycle if it's not actually teething pain.
zebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 08:58 AM   #14
nini02
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
I can't tell if he's actually waking due to the teething or if it's just for lonliness, I guess that's my worry. He squirms around a bit and DH seems to think that it's because he can't get comfortable because of the pain. HELP!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebaby View Post
That's what's so difficult for me to deal with. I'm not sure why he's crying since he doesn't seem to show any obvious signs of pain (only once did he ever wake up knawing his fist). My first instinct is to comfort him, of course, and make it all feel better but I don't want to get him into a bad waking cycle where he needs to nurse every time he goes through his natural waking cycle if it's not actually teething pain.
Trust your instincts mama! He's only 10 months old, pain isn't the only reason he needs you at night. Even if it is "just for loneliness" that is still a NEED for a baby!
nini02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 08:07 PM   #15
zebaby
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nini02 View Post
Trust your instincts mama! He's only 10 months old, pain isn't the only reason he needs you at night. Even if it is "just for loneliness" that is still a NEED for a baby!
Is going to your babe when they're lonley part of the CIO method? Of course I'm not going to ignore him if he's crying badly or for an extended period time (I'm really in love with the little guy) but I would just hate to un-do any progress we've made so far.
Old 10-05-2007, 08:26 PM   #16
lexi22
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yeah I wouldn't let a hurting baby CIO. We do CIO somewhat (only for a few minutes; not forever!), but if I know she's teething I'll go in and comfort her with hugs, teething tablets, nursing or whatever. TEETHING SUCKS! Sorry mama.

Wife to Kevin and Mama to sweet Maeve!
lexi22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 03:47 AM   #17
tarah1218
Registered Users
seller

Maybe just go in there and rub his back or belly...not talk to him or pick him up and see if it calms him down. Maybe it will help you figure out if its from pain or from being lonely. I wouldn't want him getting to upset, he is crying because he needs you, maybe it is a phase. I would think not picking him up would help from undoing anything you already have worked for ya know? Just let him know you are there but you are not going to take him out of his crib.
Old 10-07-2007, 09:51 PM   #18
zebaby
Registered Users

My Mood:

Thanks for all the kind words mamas ! I'll try to go and get some of that gel. The teething tablets aren't making much difference. When I go in and pick him up he quiets down right away now. Sometimes he squirms. In those cases I think he might be uncomfortable, but now he just seems to want to be held. I get him into position to nurse and he falls asleep even before I get him latched on! Of course once I take out the boob he smells it and goes "why thank you mama!" and starts to suck, though not like a hunger suck. I hate to admit it but I think I've gotten him back to depending on me to fall back asleep . I will definitely check on him when he starts to cry since he is going through this awful teething stage, but if he isn't showing obvious signs of discomfort I think we'll have to do this modified CIO again . If this happens again after this time, I think I'll have to throw in the towel and have him sleep with us indefinitely. Who needs sexual intimacy !
Old 10-07-2007, 10:04 PM   #19
mistylaureena
I saw Elvis. He sat between me and Bigfoot on the UFO
seller

My Mood:

I don't like to call it CIO what we practice here..LOL..I call it FIO for Fuss it out. Mikey sometimes will fuss a lil because he wants to stay up and play but once i leave the room he goes to sleep...But if he is SCREAMING I dont like that--(to clarify meaning I wont leave him in there screaming )....to me there is a huge difference between being a booger and fussing than full on screaming.

But as far as night time.... I always wake up and go to his door and wait a few seconds, if he falls back asleep and doesn't cry, I leave him be, but if he is really crying and super upset there is no way I will let him sit in there and cry by himself alone in the dark (with a night light) and wondering if I am ever coming to save him... SO when he is teething we do have many nights where I get up with him and we rock and most nights i just bring him back to bed with me and just curling up with me or dh usually does the trick and he goes back to sleep to which I will let him sleep for a little bit and then put him back in his own bed because he surprisingly sleeps way better by himself... But I don't leave him crying and screaming with no relief or help that's seems so sad to me

Last edited by mistylaureena; 10-07-2007 at 10:08 PM.
mistylaureena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 06:09 AM   #20
Maddie&Jake'sMom
Registered Users
Formerly: Maddie'sMom
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nini02 View Post
THIS.

I'm up right now with Maddie 10+ times a night with her teething. It sucks, but IMO, its what I signed up for. This too shall pass.
Maddie&Jake'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote