Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-08-2007, 06:37 AM   #21
erynn42
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Teething question for those who "cry it out"...

I don't really cio... (never worked...whether it was me failing the cio or ds not learning to fall asleep, not sure ) But I'd suggest maybe having dh go in and check things out. Since he can't nurse, then maybe even if he only needs a little comfort (teething or lonlieness) your dh can get him back to sleep. You said he fell asleep before even latching...dh can do that.

Advertisement

erynn42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 06:44 AM   #22
Weezy6703
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

ITA here! Amazingly Landon has just aquired 4 teeth on the bottom and I can't tell how many on top Ran fever and SUPER cranky baby. But he's slept very well despite the fact. Except the few nights he ran high fever of course. We do the same as far as going to his door and 'assessing' the situation. If he doesn't cry and goes on to sleep then we don't bother him. But if it gets a good bit more intense we definitely get him up and rock him back to sleep. Sometimes we can rock him back to sleep and other nights I've taken him into the guest bedroom and gone back to sleep with him. TO the OP mama it's a rough road, and there *WILL* be occasionally interruptions with whatever sleep training method you use. I say that because it's almost inevitable. I'm a perfectionist in some ways and the whole thought of things being interrupted from normal pattern sometimes ruffles my feathers, however I too keep the mindset of this too shall pass. Babies occasionally who fall asleep on their own do need parental contact during the night sometimes during the *ROUGH* part. Just go with your gut instinct mama. I was leary as well about not wanting him to regain this independence on needing me by his side every waking moment when he'd been going to sleep on his own for x amount of months. But I knew many of those times there truly was something more he needed so I just went with the flow and tried to be patient. They will get back on track, despite how hard it seems at the moment. If you feel the knots in their gums, their gums may be swollen, slight temp increase, irritability, etc. that can be common signs of teething, just know that your LO may not be able to tell you what's bothering him. If homeopathic methods aren't working and they are still miserable you might have to result to something a little stronger. But that part is completely up to you and what you are comfortable giving your baby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistylaureena View Post
I don't like to call it CIO what we practice here..LOL..I call it FIO for Fuss it out. Mikey sometimes will fuss a lil because he wants to stay up and play but once i leave the room he goes to sleep...But if he is SCREAMING I dont like that--(to clarify meaning I wont leave him in there screaming )....to me there is a huge difference between being a booger and fussing than full on screaming.

But as far as night time.... I always wake up and go to his door and wait a few seconds, if he falls back asleep and doesn't cry, I leave him be, but if he is really crying and super upset there is no way I will let him sit in there and cry by himself alone in the dark (with a night light) and wondering if I am ever coming to save him... SO when he is teething we do have many nights where I get up with him and we rock and most nights i just bring him back to bed with me and just curling up with me or dh usually does the trick and he goes back to sleep to which I will let him sleep for a little bit and then put him back in his own bed because he surprisingly sleeps way better by himself... But I don't leave him crying and screaming with no relief or help that's seems so sad to me
Old 10-08-2007, 07:27 AM   #23
MamaZ
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I didn't read all the posts, but I definitely agree with trusting your instincts.

The only time my kids CIO is during a temper tantrum Tylenol at night worked awesome for my DS...it wires up my ODD so we never give it to her unless we have too But she's a trooper with her teething.
MamaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 09:50 AM   #24
lisadoni
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

we had our first night of this last night with Lydia. Madelyn had her first tooth come in last week, was a little grumpy during the day but otherwise fine. Lydia is getting her first now and has been a grump for two days, very needy, and we were up until 1:30 because she kept screaming as soon as one of us put her down.

Both girls have slept through the night since they were about 3 months old - I know we got a bit spoiled. The only thing that finally got her to crash was giving her 1/2 a bottle. I have some teething drops, but I need to get the tablets too and try that tonight.

I don't think comforting them at night while teething will confuse them. Being in pain and just wanting to be with Mommy/Daddy is a very different thing - you can usually tell by the cry if it's a "pain thing" or an "I woke up".
Old 10-10-2007, 10:25 PM   #25
zebaby
Registered Users

My Mood:

It seems like it might've started out as pain then mutated into wanting a warm body on a regular basis. We did do FIO (love that term pp!) with him a couple of nights ago and it increased his sleep back to about a 7 hour stretch last night. I understand all the mamas that say to go with my gut and go to him if he's full on crying and that I should be able to tell the difference between a pain cry and a lonely cry and to try standing by his crib to see if he'll settle, but honestly, it doesn't work with this kid! Since we brought him home from the hospital he's been one of those babies who refused to sleep alone - he needed to be held in order to sleep, never fell asleep on his own even if he was drowsy, started screaming if anyone put him down however gingerly it was done. Whenever he wakes, even now, he screams bloody murder (maaaybe 5% of the time he'll wake up quietly and transition well). If I stand by his crib to check on him or to reassure him he often will just scream louder because he wants to be picked up. I know it's impossible for some mamas to believe but he's just one of those ultimate high needs babies, particularly at night.
Anyway, it is getting better and I have resigned to the conclusion that it will pass. I don't know that I will go as far as using tylenol to numb him up for sleep but I will definitely try some homeopathic teething gels & chamomile tea if I notice the teething symptoms pop up again. Thanks for your help!
zebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 11:09 PM   #26
mistylaureena
I saw Elvis. He sat between me and Bigfoot on the UFO
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebaby View Post
It seems like it might've started out as pain then mutated into wanting a warm body on a regular basis. We did do FIO (love that term pp!) with him a couple of nights ago and it increased his sleep back to about a 7 hour stretch last night. I understand all the mamas that say to go with my gut and go to him if he's full on crying and that I should be able to tell the difference between a pain cry and a lonely cry and to try standing by his crib to see if he'll settle, but honestly, it doesn't work with this kid! Since we brought him home from the hospital he's been one of those babies who refused to sleep alone - he needed to be held in order to sleep, never fell asleep on his own even if he was drowsy, started screaming if anyone put him down however gingerly it was done. Whenever he wakes, even now, he screams bloody murder (maaaybe 5% of the time he'll wake up quietly and transition well). If I stand by his crib to check on him or to reassure him he often will just scream louder because he wants to be picked up. I know it's impossible for some mamas to believe but he's just one of those ultimate high needs babies, particularly at night.
Anyway, it is getting better and I have resigned to the conclusion that it will pass. I don't know that I will go as far as using tylenol to numb him up for sleep but I will definitely try some homeopathic teething gels & chamomile tea if I notice the teething symptoms pop up again. Thanks for your help!

My little brother was like this...I think every child is VERY different. My lil brother and older brother for that natter were both very much co-sleepers. To this day they are 30 and 12 years old and they both still sleep better in general if they are sleeping with someone in bed with them!! I was the opposite..I slept better then from day one alone and to this day I rather sleep alone at night too....but obviously I don't with DH and occasional Mikey--but I always sleep really good by myself...and my son now-Mikey sleeps soo much better when he sleeps by himself. Granted he does like to cuddle up with us if he doesn't feel good or is teething but Overall he loves sleeping alone over co-sleeping. SO I think co-sleeping doesn't work with every baby just like solo sleeping doesn't either
Old 10-11-2007, 11:22 AM   #27
Bug-a-boo's mom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Smile Re: Teething question for those who "cry it out"...

If K woke up in the middle of the night, I would wait a minute or so (depending on the cry) then go in and sooth, comfort. I would then give a dose of something if he didn't calm down or seemed in pain. Whether you use CIO or not, if your child is crying because of pain, you should do something to help alleviate it.