Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-29-2007, 02:48 AM   #1
AngelW
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Baby Hits Me While Nursing

This is a new thing, but really annoying. At some point in the nursing, my baby starts smacking me pretty hard over and over, almost like he's pumping water out of a well. He isn't hitting the breast necessary, but usually the shoulder. I asked at the playgroup I'm in if this has happened to the others and it had. One had a theory that it was the baby trying to create a second let-down. She didn't stop her daughter from doing it because she felt the baby knew what she was doing. Any thoughts on this? I have tried to stop him as it hurts, but he gets more frustrated and as soon as I let his arm go he does it again. GRR!

Advertisement

Mommy to Nicholas Ryan
Born 02-22-07
AngelW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 03:16 AM   #2
apmommatnt
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Baby Hits Me While Nursing

It is a natural thing for many reasons, they are learning how their muscles work, they are investigating your body and how it reacts to their movements, they are bored, and also what your friend mentioned regarding the let down. Do you have a slower let down? I know if I haven't drinken enough H20, my ds will do something similiar, mostly just press on my breast though. Have you tried a nursing necklace? Maybe he is a busy boy and wants something to play with? Good luck, I know that it can be frustrating!
Old 09-29-2007, 08:08 AM   #3
see_nelle_run
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

omg...my son does this too. He also grabs the skin on my boob and pulls, pulls my hair, tries to rip my glasses off of my face, grabs my lip and pulls...pretty much anything in reach. I don't know what it's about, but it hurts and he doesn't understand "no don't do that"...he thinks it's funny when I say that!
see_nelle_run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 08:12 AM   #4
kht2006
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

For a while I was putting a soft stuffed toy in each of dd's hands and a small toy between her feet to play with A three ring circus in my lap
She still hit but at least it was just with a soft stuffed animal.
She has outgrown that. Thank goodness.
kht2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 08:18 AM   #5
SewWhatMama
Banned
seller

My Mood:

Try a nursing necklace...something to keep his hands busy from hitting you. I had the same problem and it would hurt. Also he would pink the side of my boob...ouch!! Good luck mama!
SewWhatMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 09:20 AM   #6
FinnegansMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Mine does this too, sometimes it actually really hurts, especially when he's pinching me. I'll wrap him up in a blanket to try to calm him down, and I also try to cover most of my boob so he can't pinch my skin. The hitting drives me crazy though, if he's really being snarky about it and I don't think he's really nursing, I'll just pull him off and send him on his way. I always say "be gentle, be nice to mommy"... and he usually ignores me... LOL...
Old 09-29-2007, 05:16 PM   #7
BugSara
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I third the nursing necklace. I've heard from lots of moms (and know firsthand) that they make a difference. They give the baby something to focus her attention on.
Old 09-29-2007, 11:23 PM   #8
amrijane128
Registered Users
seller

I'll have to try a nursing necklace, for DD does this as well. Honestly the punches don't bother me as much as the pinches and bites. OUCH! The side of my boob has scratches and my nipples are turning purple! This kid is abusive sometimes!
Old 09-30-2007, 12:43 AM   #9
AngelW
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for the posts. I know what you mean about the pinching! OMG it hurts!! I have tried draping a big burp cloth or other cloth over me when I'm not dressed so he has something ELSE to grab onto besides my skin.

What is a nursing necklace? Always thought it was something to help you remember which side you last fed on.. It isn't, huh? Where do you get them? Thanks!

Mommy to Nicholas Ryan
Born 02-22-07
AngelW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 12:48 AM   #10
Serendipitous Creationz
Registered Users
Formerly: ****mom
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugSara View Post
I third the nursing necklace. I've heard from lots of moms (and know firsthand) that they make a difference. They give the baby something to focus her attention on.

ava does this as well.... giving her something to use instead of my hair or breast or face helps
Serendipitous Creationz is offline   Reply With Quote