Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-29-2007, 02:12 PM   #1
jn__
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
tell me about your big babies

and just... pep talk me back into a space where I feel like I can give birth naturally with no c-section based on size alone.

I've already given birth to an 8lb,15oz baby and an 8lb, 12oz baby and was hoping that was the only size I made them in, but this one has 2 more weeks to go and u/s is saying 9.5 lbs, head size is consistently 42w5d.

I'm having an ultrasound every other day to look for possible issues, it's all I think about, and i flip flop all over the place. I am sure they are going to ask me to induce at 39 weeks and I don't know how I feel.

Experiences? talk-me-ups?

Advertisement

Old 09-29-2007, 02:16 PM   #2
CrunchyMama0607
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: tell me about your big babies

You can do it! My baby girl was 8lbs 15 1/2oz and I had her vaginally Remember that the u/s can be wrong on size~2days before dd was born the doc told me she'd be 7lbs 5 oz, (based on u/s) HA! He was way off.....so your baby might be smaller than they think.

BIG HUGS In the meantime, try to relax & try some natural induction techniques.

Last edited by CrunchyMama0607; 09-29-2007 at 02:17 PM.
CrunchyMama0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 02:18 PM   #3
JnSAlger
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: Moore, OK/Chesapeake, VA/Lynbrook, NY/Huntsville, AL/Augusta, GA
My Mood:

A little less than a week before DD#1 was born they told me she was well over 9 lbs. She was born 7.10. Also allll of my girls have huge heads. The one I am carrying now, his head measured 42 weeks via US when I was only 33 weeks along. All that means is, they don't know until he is born. You can do it without induction...especially since the other 2 were prefectly fine...
Old 09-29-2007, 02:21 PM   #4
JuJuBee
Registered Users

I've delivered 3 10+ pound babies vaginally, my last being 10.12. Your other babies were almost 9lbs... another half pound isn't going to do you in (IF, and that's a big if, the estimates are correct). You can definitely do it!
JuJuBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 02:21 PM   #5
ZooCrew10
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

a U/S can be off either way by 13 oz or more so keep that in mind. If you have someone who's willing to look into alternative methods to help you stretch/relax your perineum (spelling?) I'd do that. MANY women birth big babies, unfortunately I wasn't able to - my largest at 9 lbs 8 oz. did a lot of damage but I think that a lot of that was due to the doctor who wouldn't listen to anything I had to say about my birth (my husband HATES the man, would love an opportunity to knock him on his a$$). Do your homework, and don't let them tell you that you HAVE to have a c-section - they are more rough to recover from and the risks at subsequent pregnancies becomes greater (I know, I'm dealing with it now with my current pg). Best of luck to you mama!!!
ZooCrew10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 02:22 PM   #6
jason&jilliansmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My first ds was 9lb1oz and was born by c/s. When I was pg with my dd I consistently measured 4 weeks ahead so they were sure I was going to have another whopper of a baby. They booked me for a repeat c/s and she was a measly 7lb7oz.....totaly could've had a vbac with her!
Old 09-29-2007, 02:31 PM   #7
hobbsandbean
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i agree with the pp's about the estimates being off - they're just not that accurate. they told me my daughter would be barely 5 pounds - she was 6'15". then they assured me that the estimates on my son were wrong (his head was measuring 42 weeks at 37 weeks) and that he wouldn't be more than 7 pounds - he weighed in at 8'12", and had / has quite the cabeza.

his delivery was way easier than it was with my daughter, so i vote to go for it! i am hoping that the increase in size is not a pattern for me - i don't want to deliver an almost 11 pound baby next time!
baby keelah . 3 months, finalizing adoption now!
hobbsandbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 02:33 PM   #8
ZooCrew10
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbsandbean View Post
i agree with the pp's about the estimates being off - they're just not that accurate. they told me my daughter would be barely 5 pounds - she was 6'15". then they assured me that the estimates on my son were wrong (his head was measuring 42 weeks at 37 weeks) and that he wouldn't be more than 7 pounds - he weighed in at 8'12", and had / has quite the cabeza.

his delivery was way easier than it was with my daughter, so i vote to go for it! i am hoping that the increase in size is not a pattern for me - i don't want to deliver an almost 11 pound baby next time!
YEP that's so true about the measurements! My 2 child was measuring at over 10 lbs a month ahead of his due date, and he wound up being 8 lbs. 8 oz. at 39 weeks! Way off.
ZooCrew10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 02:41 PM   #9
beautiful8
Registered Users
Formerly: beautiful7
seller

My Mood:

my first bbay was 5.5 lbs

second was 10.2....he practiclaly was double first child's size!!

YOU CAN DO IT!!! But according to ACOG (which all OB's are SUPPOSED to follow induction for macrosomia (posisble large sized baby) is against their policy.

I struggle with this myself...I have had 3 10 lb'ers so far and I amalreayd 4 days OD with this baby. I really do NOT want to have an 11+ lb baby, but
I also recall the last induction I had for a bbay I thought was large (she was ONLY 8.2 lbs :lol) and the induction went, very very wrong.

I say wait, and try some natural methods once your EDD gets close and try not to stress out about it too much
beautiful8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 02:42 PM   #10
beautiful8
Registered Users
Formerly: beautiful7
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZooCrew10 View Post
YEP that's so true about the measurements! My 2 child was measuring at over 10 lbs a month ahead of his due date, and he wound up being 8 lbs. 8 oz. at 39 weeks! Way off.
beautiful8 is offline   Reply With Quote