Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-29-2007, 02:55 PM   #11
LissAnne
Registered Users
seller

Re: tell me about your big babies

My first DS was 9 lbs 14 oz and I had a completely natural vaginal delivery. You can do it! I had an u/s 3 weeks before my due date and he was measuring 40 weeks already, then he wasn't born until just over 42 weeks! I had no idea he would be THAT big, and honestly didn't even realize it until they weighed him. I had a long labor, but it was my first baby so I expected that. My second DS was only 7 lbs 10 oz, so that was a surprise...I was expecting over 10 lbs, but I wouldn't have considered a c-section or induction based on size. My midwife kept telling me with DS1 "your body won't grow a baby that is too big" over and over and over...

Advertisement

LissAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 03:03 PM   #12
jn__
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

ooh thank you so much ladies, keep it coming i love talking about this!

Maybe I will just have a big headed normal sized baby?

I am trying tons of "natural" things right now but nothing is happening, probably too early, but I'm going to keep trying!

All I know is I feel better about telling him no induction! He doesn't SEEM too pushy at the moment, but time will tell.
Old 09-29-2007, 03:04 PM   #13
jn__
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by beautiful7 View Post
my first bbay was 5.5 lbs

second was 10.2....he practiclaly was double first child's size!!

That's awesome, what a story to tell, huh???
Old 09-29-2007, 03:06 PM   #14
jennsmile
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My second was 9lb. 8oz. and I was at home with a midwife. Thankfully her mentor was there and we got that baby out. It can be done.

Jenn
jennsmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 10:55 AM   #15
GrahamBaby4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am 5ft 2" and a normal weight of 95lbs.
My second child was 9lbs 14oz and 22" long, he was over 10% of my normal body weight. had him vaginally. the only real down side to this was I was swollen for a few days down there and had to sit on ice packs.

He LOOKED like a 3month old when he was born, but overall it wasn't a bad birth. I bet you could probably easily give birth to a child over 10lbs, especially if your hips are larger than mine (31" non prego, 33" prego)
GrahamBaby4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 01:44 PM   #16
momof2monkeys
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree with the PP's, the weight estimate may be way off.

I just wanted to add that my first son was 9 lbs 8.5 oz, he was born about 5 hours after I walked home from work. He was easier to deliver than my second son who was 7lbs 6oz.

My third child (daughter) was 6 lbs 12 oz. She was my smallest baby, and the WORST to deliver. She took her sweet time, I was in labour for 22 hours.

Just because the baby is bigger doesn't mean it will be more difficult.
momof2monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 01:50 PM   #17
valerieca
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I totally agree with the pp's mentioning that the measurements could be totally off! Don't go by that at all......they are frequently no where near what the docs tell you.

You can do it. Relax and let your body do the work.

My 2nd baby was 9lb 8oz and posterior....he got a little beat up from being in the posterior postition. We joked that he looked like Mike Tyson, after a fight. I had him at a birth center, no interventions or pain meds....and he certainly wasn't budging until he spun...but he did and then came right out. I didn't even tear.....he was 12 days past due.

I was worried about my 3rd being big too, and she ended up being my smallest at 6lb 5oz, and that was 10 days past due! So you can't ever judge, even based on your past experiences.
Old 09-30-2007, 02:31 PM   #18
erin_brycesmom
Registered Users
seller

Both of mine were 9 and half lbs so not huge but bigger than average. One was only 18 inches though and the other was 22 inches so one looked chubby and the other looked skinny. Also, my first had a 13.5 inch head but my second had a FIFTEEN inch head . I didn't even tear with him, lol.

Like everyone else said, late ultra sounds are notoriously inaccurate. Mine was 2 lbs off.
Old 09-30-2007, 02:41 PM   #19
toryandrew
Registered Users
seller

My first one was 9lbs 15oz and ended up with a c-section...my second son was a VBAC at 9lbs 12oz I tore some but no biggie.

I agree the ultrasounds can be off. But even if the baby is huge you can totally still do it.
toryandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 02:44 PM   #20
jn__
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I posted my entire story to the ICAN list if any of you are on that. I got mostl reassuring comments except one kind of scary one that I'm annoyed about.

It made me think... a midwife would know how/have the patience to work on positioning and really work at getting a big baby out. An OB would just shrug and think, too much work... and I dont' really have access to any midwives, I have tried, but they are all either affiliated with OB offices, too far away, insurance won't take them, or not accepting new/late patients.

I also have extra fluid.. I don't know what risks that poses to birth and I'm wondering if the fluid would "magnify" the baby's size Worth a shot!

I'm mostly reassured... but I really wish I had someone with my best interests at heart.. and I'm not convinced the OB does. And I'm straddling a fence here between doing what my heart says, trusting my body; and making a stupid decision I'll regret.