Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-30-2007, 03:04 PM   #21
erin_brycesmom
Registered Users
seller

Re: tell me about your big babies

What you said is true. Most OBs are in a hurry and are not interested in other positions nor do they believe in anything other than the standard medical model of care. But, if you want/need to give birth in a hospital and don't have access to a MW, you can hire a doula and that will help. Having a doula present has been proven to reduce the chance of c-section, forcep/vacuum delivery significantly.

When I had a doula at my last hospital birth, the staff pretty much left us alone. My doula also noticed when they were whispering about c-section b/c my pushing was not progressing at all. My doula gently reminded me that I had talked about wanting to push on all fours (I was pushing in an assisted squat at the time). I forgot about other positions b/c it was such an intense situation and people I there were so many people around). As soon as I flipped over onto my knees, the pushing suddenly became effective.

I hope to never give birth in a hospital again but if I ever need to, I won't do it without a doula.

Advertisement

Old 10-04-2007, 11:07 AM   #22
mommyfrog
Registered Users

I had all of mine vaginally. My first was 9lbs 6oz, 14 1/2 inch head. I pushed for 2 hours, but that was my first. My 2nd was 8lbs 8oz, 15 1/8 inch head. I pushed for about 2 minutes. My 3rd was 9lbs 15oz, 14 3/4 inch head. I pushed for less than 2 minutes. My 4th was 9lbs 3oz, 14 inch head. I pushed for less than 2 minutes. My 5th was 9lbs 10oz, 14 1/2 inch head. I pushed for less than 2 minutes. My 6th was 9lbs 14oz, 14 1/2 inch head. I had her out in one push because her heart rate was going down and they pulled out the vacuum!! I didn't want that so I told the nurse I didn't need it, and pushed as hard as I could. She came right out with the cord around her neck, but was fine after that. You can do. Think positive!!
Jeanie, wife of Paul, mommy of Aurora-20 and married (5/23/94), Oliver-18 (12/27/95), Simon-15 (9/11/98), Savannah-14 (4/9/00), Harrison-11 (2/26/03), Genevieve-9 (2/24/05), and Sebastian-6 (4/24/08), Precious Baby Girl (lost 8/10), Magnus-(4/26/14)
mommyfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 01:23 PM   #23
cereal527
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

my first dd was 8lbs. 8 oz. and her delivery was difficult, but that's just because the epidural made me so numb I couldn't feel anything. My ds was 9 lbs. 14 oz. an dI had him vaginally with pretty much no problems. I tore some, but other than that, no big deal. my doc only does 2 ultrasounds while Im pg, one at the beginning and one aoround 20 weeks, so we had no idea ds was going to be that big. You can do it, especially since your other baby was bigger. The second delivery was so much easier than the first and having my 3rd baby was even easier than the second. You'll do great!
cereal527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 07:30 PM   #24
bakersrose
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Wink Re: tell me about your big babies

You can do it! Your body was made to do this, and it will handle it! My DS (1st baby) was 10.0#. I had him vaginally with no meds. I birthed at a birthing center with a midwife who was completely WONDERFUL! A good birth assistant knows how to help! I was in the water for the labor, but then he got stuck in my pelvis when I tried to push him out, so I got on the bed and the Midwife kept my labia mousturized to prevent tearing and helped me get him out. It went SOOO well, especially for being a first baby. I really didn't tear either. I had one very small cut, hich my MW referred to as "just a little bit of roadburn; you just drove a mack truck through there!" You can do it!!!
bakersrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 07:34 PM   #25
jn__
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I jut wanted to update the thread that despite all that, I ended up going into labor on my own, on monday (2 weeks early) and vaginally delivered a 9lb 14oz baby boy w/o an epi, even with my dr in the room!

It was awesome, and thanks to everyone I managed to put the size out of my mind and just focused on the task at hand.

thank you all!!
Old 10-04-2007, 07:43 PM   #26
topazdodge
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My oldest sister (my Mom's 3rd child) was 10 lbs, 3 weeks overdue, and my Mom is a very small woman. She had her and then went on to have 3 more kids. Your body is made to do this, you can do it! Have faith in yourself & trust yourself!

Free Crochet Longies Instructions Here
topazdodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 07:43 PM   #27
topazdodge
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

OK, idiot now, didn't read all the way through. Congratulations!!!

Free Crochet Longies Instructions Here
topazdodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 11:35 PM   #28
hippydippymama
Registered Users
seller

I am jumping in on this way late, but CONGRATS on your big beautiful baby girl!

It is very rare that our bodies will make a baby that is genuinely too big to fit through our birth canals. And yeah, the US weight guesttimates are SO off: my DS was estimated 8 lbs. at 38 weeks...he was born a day before his due date at 7 lbs. By all rights he should have weighed 10.
hippydippymama is offline   Reply With Quote