Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-29-2007, 10:31 PM   #1
mayrain
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Arrow How many of you CLW?

I'm just wondering how many CLWer's there are out there? And by CLW, I am taking the definition from kellymom.com that says:
Child-led weaning occurs when a child no longer has a need to nurse - nutritionally or emotionally. It's relatively unusual for a baby younger than 18-24 months to self-wean if they are not being encouraged in that direction (though things like mom's pregnancy may also affect the timing).

A child who is self-weaning will almost always cut down on nursing very gradually over a period of months, one session at a time (anything abrupt is most always a strike). Many children will continue with only a nighttime, morning or naptime nursing session (or a combination) for months before weaning. When a child self-weans, she will also have been drinking well from a cup and getting the vast majority of her nutrition from solid foods for a while.

From other definitions, I also understand this to mean no mama milk substitutes such as bottles etc. that might inadvertently encourage weaning.

Just wondering cause I often find it hard to explain why I do what I do besides the fact that it feels right to me. We all know the benefits of extended breastfeeding and bf'ing in general but people don't often get that I just don't want to give my baby a substitute. Am the only one?

Advertisement

Old 09-29-2007, 10:34 PM   #2
Bukawww
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: How many of you CLW?

I guess I will do it, but will take a more 'don't offer, don't refuse' approach once 'I've' had enough...I don't think it should include offering bottles/sippies cause at 11 months, my kids all fussed at the breast, but happily took a sippie...if 'they' want the alternativee, then that is still kind of CLW, IMO.
DS WAHM thread
Bukawww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 10:39 PM   #3
foodie.yarnie.mommie.
Registered Users
Formerly: dimibella
seller

My Mood:

well, it seems we are CLWing, but I'm not 100% commited to going much past 2yrs ( which we are fast approaching ) to be honest. We have taken no measures to wean, DD nurses whenever she wants and she doesn't really drink anything else besides water. She has only had a bottle a few times in her life, a couple of times in the NICU before they okay'd her to nurse (this was only for about a day ), and then once when MIL insisted she get to feed her granddaughter and I caved. I thought I could CLW, but DD still nurses ALOT and I don't really know how long I can keep doing it, atleast not while keeping my sanity intact.
Old 09-29-2007, 10:43 PM   #4
Calideedle
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

We CLW - seeing as how my 3yr old & 21month old both still nurse

They both started getting a sippy with water at 1 yr old because they wanted it. Within the last 2months they started getting Organic Chocolate Milk 4x's a week just because they really wanted it They both HATE plain milk. So they have Juice now and then and Choc Milk but they drink water and nurse all the time!

So yeah, we CLW!

ETA: Neither had ANYTHING other than breastmilk from the boob (never touched a bottle) until they were over a year old!
Old 09-29-2007, 10:44 PM   #5
jason&jilliansmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I did the 'don't ask don't offer' approach with Jason. He weaned at about 15 months. I plan to do more of the clw with Jillian and hopefully nurse her a little longer than I did Jason!
Old 09-29-2007, 10:56 PM   #6
mamoo3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My kids all CLW. My 1st weaned at 2 1/2 years, but I don't think she would have if I hadn't been preggo. My 2nd is almost 3 and nurses 3-4x a day, my 3rd is 10 monthes old. My kids have never had any substitution for mama milk and I wouldn't have it any other way! Your not the only one out there!
Old 09-29-2007, 11:04 PM   #7
moobiegirl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

i will do CLW. my ds is 11 months old with no end in sight yet. we still nurse through the night (about 2-4 times) then we nurse when i wake up and then when i get home from work and through the evening. we nurse about3-4 times during the awake part of our day and 2-4 times at night. he goes to a day care during the day but he refuses the bottle so i stopped sending him milk. now he eats all his solids during the day and only drinks water out of a sippy. i will continue to nurse as long as he wants it and i'm comfortable with it (which right now i don't see ever needing to stop for me )
Old 09-30-2007, 04:13 PM   #8
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:

I guess technically I am doing CLW for now. My older nursing son is 2.5 years old. I have no idea whether I plan on continuing CLW or if I will wean him prior. I see no need to stop nursing my toddler now since I'm also nursing my baby.

GASP! I just realized that my "baby" is a year old and could be considered a toddler! I guess I'm nursing 2 toddlers!
Old 09-30-2007, 05:11 PM   #9
FinnegansMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Me!!! We are going to hit our 1 year mark next Friday and I'm hoping we make it at LEAST one more year (maybe 2 more? or more? )
I hope we have another baby before he weans so I can tandem nurse.
I absolutely LOVE nursing him and I am SOOO not ready for this chapter to be over with, and neither is he. He may be slightly obsessed with BFing... LOL... which is fine with me.
Old 09-30-2007, 05:20 PM   #10
sahminaz
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My first dd nursed until 26 months. She nursed my entire pregnancy(got pregnant at 15 months) and tandem for 1 month. I think having the baby nursing, she lost intrest.

Second dd nursed until she was 2.5. She nursed during some of my pregnancy. BOth dds slowly cut back their sessions. Two major sessions left were nap and bedtime. Naptime was the last nursing session they gave up. It wasn't abrupt and it was a slow decision for them.

DS is 8 months and he will decide when to wean. He is my last nursling.
sahminaz is offline   Reply With Quote