Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-30-2007, 05:41 PM   #11
YummyYarnAddict
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How many of you CLW?

Raising hand here... my dd nursed until she was 4 years old. She nursed at nighttime (about 2x/night) until she was 2.5 years old and stopped nursing at night of her own accord. Then she nursed 4-6x/day until she was about 3 and a half or so and then gradually tapered off. By the time she was 3.75 years old she drastically decreased the frequency of nursing to just mornings and then maybe once during the day and occasionally after dinner. Then just mornings here and then. Then she'd skip a day. Then she'd skip a couple of days. Then ... once she skipped an entire week and decided that she just wanted to snuggle instead of drinking mama milkies. It was very gradual, peaceful, and non-traumatic for both of us. I liked it that way and plan to do it that way for my 14mo ds and any future children.

Advertisement

YummyYarnAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 06:38 PM   #12
mayrain
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm glad I'm not the only one....I just can't imagine how traumatic it would be to have to wean a baby! I know it happens every day and babies survive but I know that it is just not from me or my babes . I guess I just sometimes get tired of trying to explain what I'm doing or why I just don't "give her a bottle" or why that would even matter to me at this point. It's is really hard to explain how it is such a big part of our mothering relationship that goes beyond all of the concrete and defineable advantages.
Old 09-30-2007, 08:35 PM   #13
ThatLinGirl
Registered Users
seller

Yup, us too. Especially because my daughter has a billion food allergies. It is SO nice to know both her emotional AND nutritional needs are met. Without nursing, I'd really worry about her getting a balanced diet.

Lindsay, mama to Caroline Lois (05/28/06) and scrunchy new Kate (12/31/08)
ThatLinGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 08:44 PM   #14
willisfmly
Registered Users

My Mood:

I didnt do CLW with my first 2 children but have and will do it with my last 2 . My second DD nursed until she was 4 and would not have wean except I became preg and it hurt so bad I kinda of encouraged her for my own pain control. But she was down to nursing only 1 a day and it didnt take much encouragment to get her to stop!! My youngest is still going strong 5-6x a day and he will be 3 on Halloween. So unless I get preg sometime soon I imagine he wil go til 4 or more!!
willisfmly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 08:56 PM   #15
ShayneLeMaster
no caption needed
seller

My Mood:

Gage is 15 months old and he has cut down to about 2/3 times a day, nap time middle of night and sleeps with us rest of night ( he still sleeps in a crib in our room cause im too lazy to go and get him from his crib in his room in middle of night ) and will nurse when the alarm goes off then we are up for the day and no nursing until nap time...

and I"ll be honest when i started BF, i was like well i'll go atleast 6 weeks, then at 8 weeks i was like i'll go until like 6months then at 7 months i was like well atleast a year, at a year he had already started to cut down , wanting BM in his cup, and not wanting to nurse as much except for comfort and bed times .. and now at 15m we are good with how it's going and even DH is still cool with it, not that he wouldnt be but he's new to BF as I am ( I didnt BF DD >>>>> i had no support first kid, 18 and knew no one who has ever BF)

Dh said he's cool with CLW but we both think Gage will be " done" by 2 rate he's going .. which is fine.
Old 09-30-2007, 09:25 PM   #16
mhr1406
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Me Me!! Logan will be 21 months old this week and he still nurses on demand night and day. He has food allergies also and is not eating much in the way of solids yet. We offer solids but most of his nutrition is still from nursing. He'll stop when he is ready and I don't plan on doing anything to discourage it.
Old 09-30-2007, 10:03 PM   #17
mum2abby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think I'm going to be doing the CLW. I just really want to get pregnant too and that doesn't seem to be happening while BFing...I know its still early in the game but it gives me hope to see so many people tandem nursing. I think that'd be what I would really really like to do We shall see how long she nurses for!!
Old 09-30-2007, 10:08 PM   #18
mom2madison06
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would consider us as having CLW'ed. I offered every couple hours, and she gradually began refusing more and more until it became a fight to get her to nurse, she just did not want any more mama milk. I wanted to continue longer and was sad about the transition, but I felt like it was counterproductive to force her to nurse, and would kind of defeat the purpose of CLW if she was forced to continue. Many people say she only ended because I wanted her to and wanted it to happen, but she really did make the choice herself. There was no sadness or anything on her part about it. She was completely fine, and as always, we still enjoy cuddletime and read books together in bed. She was 13 months.
Old 09-30-2007, 10:55 PM   #19
mayrain
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2madison06 View Post
I would consider us as having CLW'ed. I offered every couple hours, and she gradually began refusing more and more until it became a fight to get her to nurse, she just did not want any more mama milk. I wanted to continue longer and was sad about the transition, but I felt like it was counterproductive to force her to nurse, and would kind of defeat the purpose of CLW if she was forced to continue. Many people say she only ended because I wanted her to and wanted it to happen, but she really did make the choice herself. There was no sadness or anything on her part about it. She was completely fine, and as always, we still enjoy cuddletime and read books together in bed. She was 13 months.
that is tough that she weaned so early where was she getting her nutrition from??? that would be frightening to have a babe go from nursing to eating nothing at all!!!! what did you do? i am sure that my dd would have starved at that point if she had refused to nurse - are you sure it wasn't a strike?
Old 10-01-2007, 07:07 AM   #20
TestifyToLove
Registered Users
seller

Thus far, they all had a final push from mommy at the very end. But, considering they were 3.75, 4.5 and 4.25 when that push came, I think they were FINE. It was always a very gentle push, and had they not been okay with it, I would have backed down. All did technically nurse beyond the point we called them 'weaned' but I found the title helped in easing the transition completely. The 5 yo last nursed about 2 months ago even though she 'weaned' at 4.25 years.

Personally, I wouldn't consider pushing any weaning suggestion on a baby or even a younger toddler. And, the only reason I continued nursing them so long was because emotionally they definitely still needed it. But, I don't have ANY qualms about telling a 4 year old that maybe its time to just cuddle. If it breaks their heart, then obviously its not time yet afterall. The only one I was really insistent about that probably wasn't fully emotionally ready was the one who weaned at 4.5. That one actually forgot HOW to nurse. Felt like he was stripping all the skin off and we were DONE.

We both had some tears about that one. But, I didn't find it worth the effort to re-train the suck of a 4.5 year old child.
TestifyToLove is offline   Reply With Quote