Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-01-2007, 08:52 AM   #21
mom2madison06
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How many of you CLW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayrain View Post
that is tough that she weaned so early where was she getting her nutrition from??? that would be frightening to have a babe go from nursing to eating nothing at all!!!! what did you do? i am sure that my dd would have starved at that point if she had refused to nurse - are you sure it wasn't a strike?
She was eating solids by then, and receiving enough nutrients from them that I was not freaking out. Ever since 10-11 months, she really enjoys eating diced/steamed veggies, fruits, cheese, yogurt, cereals. She's on whole milk now. I am convinced that it was not a strike because it was so gradual. She started refusing maybe 1 feeding more each week or so. She didn't just stop. We'd been through strikes before, and it was nothing like that.

Advertisement

Old 10-01-2007, 09:17 AM   #22
piccolo41099
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yes, I did it with my first three boys and am planning on it again with Connor.
piccolo41099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 01:18 PM   #23
lilmama2dsndd
Boobies Broke? Gorilla Glue Em!!!
seller

My Mood:

CLWer here

and there are still nutritional & emotional benefits to nursing into the toddler/preschool years
Old 10-02-2007, 07:04 AM   #24
mommy21princess
Registered Users
seller

Wow, I am too. Not to sound rude but it's funny that even though you specifically posted the "rules" of CLW so many ppl still say they were/are and yet they are giving/doing things that shouldn't really apply to CLW. Does that make since? Like technically babies should be getting they're nutritian from Formula OR Breastmilk until 12months of age, yet soooo many babies younger than that are getting them other ways. Also, I understand that babies can take milk from sippies and it's GREAT that it's bm BUT it's still not nursing.
Plus the don't offer don't refuse is a weaning strategy.

I think that's why it's hard on those of us who WANT to continue to actually do CLW to explain WHY we don't give our toddlers COW milk, bottles, sippies, etc. I do give my dd juice now but she didn't have ANYthing other than some water in a sippy only one or two times a day until she was about 16 months old. I would give her water with her meals and then the sippy cup was put away. Now she is given watered down juice and water only with occassional drinks of pop here and there. She is learning to master drinking from a cup so I think that will come VERY soon.

I have a baby that I SWORE was self weaning around 13 months but after tons of research and really just working with her, being calm, offering to nurse often, and pumping so that I didn't loose my supply while she was striking, helped her to finally come back to the breast. I didn't force her, however I did keep offering, just as I would do with vegies she needs to eat, or food that she really needs. I feel that bfing is something that WAS needed then and I wasn't giving up until I KNEW that she was done. Obviously she wasn't done as she is still nursing now at 2 years old. I don't know how long she'll go as I'm now pregnant and that makes me kinda sad as I know I won't really be CLWing as it will probably cause her to wean, but I'm so excited we've made it this far!
Old 10-02-2007, 08:28 AM   #25
Milknut
Registered Users

wow, this is a long thread! I guess by the definition we are not clwing. I intend to let my 13 month old wean himself, though! He gets cups, occassionally with milk, and has had bottles of breast milk when I was working part time. But I have no plans to stop and he wants to nurse a lot still! Its the one thing I know I'm doing right since he is a picky eater.
I dont agree that cutting back a little by not offering or supplementing with liquids should be looked at as weaning. I call that adjusting. Its not all or nothing people! You mommies should be proud that you are extending breast feeding at all. Its rare in this country!

Last edited by Milknut; 10-02-2007 at 08:33 AM.
Milknut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 08:49 AM   #26
mama2madj
Registered Users
seller
seller

i think at the point we are now, 'dont offer, dont refuse' is far from a weaning strategy....but he's over 4....at 2 i do have a different opinion

my first was weaned at 10mts, shed always prefered a bottle so when i went to work and she had the bottle option back, that's what she went with
my 2nd was weaned at 12mts but nursed on occasion till maybe a yr ago? (4.5)
my 3rd is clw, never had solids or any supplementation before 14mts, nursed on demand for the most part until i got preg and he bit me so hard i still can't let him nurse on that side, and he's slowly let up how often he wants to nurse, to where he's not even nursing every day anymore.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:34 AM   #27
mayrain
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy21princess View Post
Wow, I am too. Not to sound rude but it's funny that even though you specifically posted the "rules" of CLW so many ppl still say they were/are and yet they are giving/doing things that shouldn't really apply to CLW. Does that make since? Like technically babies should be getting they're nutritian from Formula OR Breastmilk until 12months of age, yet soooo many babies younger than that are getting them other ways. Also, I understand that babies can take milk from sippies and it's GREAT that it's bm BUT it's still not nursing.
Plus the don't offer don't refuse is a weaning strategy.

I think that's why it's hard on those of us who WANT to continue to actually do CLW to explain WHY we don't give our toddlers COW milk, bottles, sippies, etc. I do give my dd juice now but she didn't have ANYthing other than some water in a sippy only one or two times a day until she was about 16 months old. I would give her water with her meals and then the sippy cup was put away. Now she is given watered down juice and water only with occassional drinks of pop here and there. She is learning to master drinking from a cup so I think that will come VERY soon.

I have a baby that I SWORE was self weaning around 13 months but after tons of research and really just working with her, being calm, offering to nurse often, and pumping so that I didn't loose my supply while she was striking, helped her to finally come back to the breast. I didn't force her, however I did keep offering, just as I would do with vegies she needs to eat, or food that she really needs. I feel that bfing is something that WAS needed then and I wasn't giving up until I KNEW that she was done. Obviously she wasn't done as she is still nursing now at 2 years old. I don't know how long she'll go as I'm now pregnant and that makes me kinda sad as I know I won't really be CLWing as it will probably cause her to wean, but I'm so excited we've made it this far!
Oh I know, I agree but if someone want to say they CLW, who am I to argue?!? But technically, yah, if you offer a bottle before a year or use one on a regular basis, you really aren't doing CLW and for some reason, a lot of people don't get that.
I think people often confuse extended BF'ing with CLWing....when you "wean" a child, you offer a bottle to substitute for a feeding at the breast, and from the first moment you do that, you are beginning to wean your child from the breast so they are no longer leading the weaning process.
And yes, I realize this isn't for everyone, that's why I asked who is doing it cause it is hard and people often think you're crazy cause you don't just give your kid cow's milk or just give your babe a bottle. However, I do agree with another post that once you get to a certain point, like around 2 or so, the don't offer/don't refuse isn't necessarily a weaning thing, you are just following your kids clues. And I also think at some point you want your kid to learn to sip from a cup however you aren't doing that to take the place of mama's milk. I hope that makes sense
Old 10-02-2007, 09:40 AM   #28
Craftin'Diva
Registered Users
Formerly: Diaper'nDiva
seller

My Mood:

I wanted to... Eden is a year old today and I have a feeling she will be done within the next month. She fusses at my breast contantly. I did start giving her some milk but that wasn't until after she was refusing the breast. She only nurses 2 times a day MAX and even then, she doesn't want to... I'm starting to feel like I'm doing it more for me then her now. I was really hoping to go atleast 2 years but I am trying to follow HER cues and I think a year is going to be about it. *sigh*
Jeri, Mama to Elijah (9.29.03), Eden (10.2.06), a (1/12) and full time StepMonster to Shelby (16). Married to my soul mate, Eric for over 10 years! Awaiting a rainbow after our loss and 5 years of secondary infertility!
"A strong person is not one who doesn't cry. A strong person is one who is quiet and sheds a tear for a moment, then picks up her sword and fights again!"
Craftin'Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 09:42 AM   #29
Craftin'Diva
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2mad View Post
i think at the point we are now, 'dont offer, dont refuse' is far from a weaning strategy....but he's over 4....at 2 i do have a different opinion

my first was weaned at 10mts, shed always prefered a bottle so when i went to work and she had the bottle option back, that's what she went with
my 2nd was weaned at 12mts but nursed on occasion till maybe a yr ago? (4.5)
my 3rd is clw, never had solids or any supplementation before 14mts, nursed on demand for the most part until i got preg and he bit me so hard i still can't let him nurse on that side, and he's slowly let up how often he wants to nurse, to where he's not even nursing every day anymore.

Awww the 2nd one encourages me... I hope she does nurse on occasion for several years since she's seemingly weaning herself now.
Jeri, Mama to Elijah (9.29.03), Eden (10.2.06), a (1/12) and full time StepMonster to Shelby (16). Married to my soul mate, Eric for over 10 years! Awaiting a rainbow after our loss and 5 years of secondary infertility!
"A strong person is not one who doesn't cry. A strong person is one who is quiet and sheds a tear for a moment, then picks up her sword and fights again!"
Old 10-02-2007, 09:45 AM   #30
Craftin'Diva
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy21princess View Post

I'm doing the same with my 1 year old right now... but it's been 3 weeks of me trying to get her back on. I offer several times a day... she's just not interested. I've tried pumping but I can't get anything. I'm so afraid of losing my supply and then she decides to come back to the breast and I have nothing.