Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-30-2007, 03:01 PM   #1
jaceraden
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Angry Time to wean? Says my DH. WTH?????

So my DH ask me the other night if it's about time I wean Isabelle off the boob. HUH? I thought he was so enlightened about the benefits of BM and the convenience of just whipping up the shirt, etc.

Well, I asked a few more questions before I totally flipped out on him. Turns out he doesn't like the possibility of anyone else catching a peek at my goodies. Oh, and he'd still like me to keep pumping full time but he wants me (and sometimes him) to feed her in a bottle THAT SHE WON'T TOUCH ANYWAY (you may or may not have seen my previous threads about how my DD will wait 14 plus hours for me to get home rather than take milk from a source that isn't me).

Am I missing something or is this totallly nuts??? For the record, Izzy is only 6 months old...

Advertisement

jaceraden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 03:13 PM   #2
AKM
Registered Users

Re: Time to wean? Says my DH. WTH?????

Totally nuts. Is your baby's health more important, or modesty, really? I don't know about you, but after childbirth, modesty has a whole new meaning for me.

We weaned at nearly 17mos and while it went well, I wish we would've been able to continue. DS is lactose intolerant it turns out and Lactaid is expensive! I'm looking into raw milk now.

If you want, pick up the latest Mothering magazine that talks about the benefits of extended breastfeeding.

I'm pulling for you!
AKM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 03:16 PM   #3
mommy2abigail
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I see more 'goodies' from some of the teeny boppers walking around the mall these days. No one has ever been able to catch a glimpse of my nips. I've nursed everywhere and have had people come up to me and say "Oh, is she sleeping? How sweet!" To which I respond, "No, actually she's eating, still sweet though!" It always surprises them, and I know they didn' even realize I was nursing. I'm not weird about it at all though. I don't care if people see me nursing or realize what I am doing at all. I am on a mission to normalize breastfeeding.
mommy2abigail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 03:18 PM   #4
valerieca
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

He's off his rocker......jealousy on his part is no reason to quit bf'ing.

He obviously doesn't understand how it works either. It is almost impossible to exclusively pump and keep up your supply.

Not only would you have to go rent a hospital grade pump, but you also need to pump every time your baby would be nursing.

But with baby not ever stimulating your breasts, it is highly likely that your supply will slowly dwindle with that method and you'll have to supplement.

Not to mention you are taking away your baby's comfort and bonding...at 6 months she's probably not on any solids, if much at all and if she won't take a bottle what does he expect you to do? Starve her? You can not force a baby to take a bottle....some just refuse. My youngest did and went straight to a straw cup, won't even take a sippy cup.

I'm sorry, but that is a ridiculous request...and I sure hope it isn't a demand because if I were you, there would be serious problems in our marriage if he said that to me

I'm sorry you're having to deal with this mama Be strong. Send him a million articles on the benefits of breastfeeding and check LLL for what you'd have to do to exclusively pump.

Last edited by valerieca; 09-30-2007 at 03:21 PM.
valerieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 03:23 PM   #5
valerieca
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

P.S.

I'm currently nursing my 3rd child and nobody in public or while visiting my house has ever seen anything inappropriate. Why does he think you can't nurse discreetly?
Old 09-30-2007, 03:26 PM   #6
MamaToBe84
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

dh is nuts, i'd tell him to suck it up. BUT, im not very nice to my hubby lately, lol. Just tell him hes crazy, and you wont be weaning for HIS comfort, ya know?
Old 09-30-2007, 03:28 PM   #7
urchin_grey
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Uh, negative. Your bewbies, your choice.
urchin_grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 03:29 PM   #8
chasondreams
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

nuts.
stand your ground mama!!

i nursed my DD for a year, and then started to falter after being questioned so much about it by family and friends..
i think it added to her weaning then. maybe before she or I was really 100% ready. now it is over. and sometimes I miss it.
it is a bond like nothing else. enjoy it.
try to help your DH understand it..
but keep at it! you are doing great!
what a wonderful time for you and your child.
what a gift that you are giving her.

DH will be fine. men!
Old 09-30-2007, 03:31 PM   #9
Serendipitous Creationz
Registered Users
Formerly: ****mom
seller

My Mood:

I would have to say dh is nuts I wouldnt give up bf for those reasons .... Good luck
Serendipitous Creationz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 03:33 PM   #10
ShayneLeMaster
no caption needed
seller

My Mood:

My DH was same way for a while maybe while at home showing how feeding can be descreet and then should show him what not to worry about while you are out with dd my husband thought way we feed at home was way it happened at store too maybe lol