Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-20-2006, 07:14 PM   #1
SoftBumBaby
Registered Users

Gerber prefolds?

Hey girls. I am using IPFs and Bummis or Prowraps. My MIL knows I'm cloth diapering and she bought me Gerber prefolds with polyester in the middle. (Please don't flinch!) I would love to be able to get some use out of these. It says to wash in hot. Do I dry them in the dryer or do I have to hang them up?

TIA for any help.

Advertisement

Autism Every Day
SoftBumBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 07:16 PM   #2
imommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Gerber prefolds?

Dry in the dryer on hot. We used ours for burp cloths and they do fine in the hot wash/hot dry cycle. You can use them as stuffers if you run out of options too. My son had really bad diarrhea a few months ago and we used those because I didn't care if they got stained. They were good for something
Old 07-20-2006, 07:17 PM   #3
HappyCDMamainWI
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It was a nice gesture. They can go in the dryer. I used mine as burp cloths and washed them zillions of times but they never did quilt up. I used the same ones as cd's when I was showing dh that I could do it.
Old 07-20-2006, 07:20 PM   #4
Heidiliz
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Those were all I used for almost 4 years until I found out there were better options. I've always washed and dried on hot with no problems. I still have and use those same prefolds and they are over 10 years old (I usually use them like a doubler in my cpfs).

www.d65ppc.com - Pay Per Click Management
Heidiliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 07:20 PM   #5
bobandjess99
Registered Users
seller

Honestly, I have found that to make these into "useful" dipes,. the best thing is to slit them, and pull that ridiculous, non-absolrbant padding out, and then you have like a "pocket prefold" you can then just double them, or insert something good in there, like hemp or microfiber, even regular cotton or BKT. Then, you have a nice, absorbant dipe!
bobandjess99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 01:52 AM   #6
SoftBumBaby
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandjess99
Honestly, I have found that to make these into "useful" dipes,. the best thing is to slit them, and pull that ridiculous, non-absolrbant padding out, and then you have like a "pocket prefold" you can then just double them, or insert something good in there, like hemp or microfiber, even regular cotton or BKT. Then, you have a nice, absorbant dipe!
What a cool idea. Is this something you actually tried? Did you have to sew hems on the 2 open bits after you slit the dipes? (I don't have a sewing machine.) What did you stuff them with? I have some hemp doublers. I guess I could also stuff them with my IPFs...but that could be pretty bulky... The thing is that Evan is already outgrowing his IPFs (infant sized)...but I was hoping to be able to put off buying regular sized ones just yet (at least in quantity). So I got all excited when my MIL brought these, esp. since they're SO big compared to my IPFs!

Argh.

Autism Every Day
SoftBumBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 04:03 AM   #7
lindsayncadence
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i just posted on another thread but you could try using them as dust rags,cut up as wipes,or use them to stuff pockets if u ever use them HTH
Old 07-21-2006, 06:42 AM   #8
kingwooten
Registered Users

I just posted on the other thread, but I use them with a cpf trifolded in the middle. It gives me more use out of the infant cpfs that dd has outgrown. I used Gerber with my oldest 2 dc and I would double or triple them then. They do make good cleaning rags too, I have some that are 8 years and still going
kingwooten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 08:40 AM   #9
cullens_girl
Registered Users

My Mood:

burp cloths and doublers. I have about 2 dozen and I got LOADS of use out of them w/out even needing them for diapers.
Old 07-21-2006, 08:43 AM   #10
Sarah
No Longer Here

My Mood:

I do use ours in a pinch and they work OK,but aren't nearly as absorbant as CPFs.
Sarah is offline   Reply With Quote