Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-01-2007, 12:24 PM   #1
moonphishers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Aspberger Syndrome....

Where can I find the best, that is most informative links? Especailly covering inital diagnosis?
Also - is there a similar site that covers all the spectrum disorders and their signs?

Advertisement

Last edited by moonphishers; 10-01-2007 at 12:28 PM.
moonphishers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 12:27 PM   #2
Namaste

Peace To All Who Enter
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Re: Aspberger Syndrome....

Check out UCLA - my best friend's dd was diagnosed with this and went through their program, which helped a ton. I would imagine that they have a lot of information on line.

Good luck!
Old 10-01-2007, 12:28 PM   #3
moonphishers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namaste View Post
Check out UCLA - my best friend's dd was diagnosed with this and went through their program, which helped a ton. I would imagine that they have a lot of information on line.

Good luck!
Thanks! I'll check it out!!!
Old 10-01-2007, 01:59 PM   #4
bug2003
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I don't know of an online place, but I do know of a great book that explains the differences between the spectrum disorders. I think it focuses mostly on autism, but it talks about PDD in general (the umbrella term that all spectrum disorders fall under). It's called The World of the Autistic Child: Understanding and Treating Autistic Spectrum Disorders by Bryna Siegel. It helped me a lot when we were first suspecting autism in my son.
Old 10-01-2007, 03:15 PM   #5
mengmommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

I'm not sure about online either, but I have the book "Parenting Your Asperger Child" and WOW. I took the "test" at the end of the book for ds, and I scored a few less points than him...so yeah, VERY informative. I love that book.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:44 PM   #6
allycat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mengmommy View Post
I'm not sure about online either, but I have the book "Parenting Your Asperger Child" and WOW. I took the "test" at the end of the book for ds, and I scored a few less points than him...so yeah, VERY informative. I love that book.
Thanks for the recommendation for the book I'll have to check it out. We think that my dd might have this. She is 5. What were the signs that your ds was having? Was he diagosed? If so, how long did it take? Thanks!
Old 10-09-2007, 05:48 PM   #7
moonphishers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for the replies - I am getting the books from my library soon!

Hopefully they can answer some of our oldest questions with my DS1

Anyone have any input/care to share their experience with their kids and any of the ASD's?

Do the kids have to fit the "signs" to a T?

Last edited by moonphishers; 10-09-2007 at 05:53 PM.
moonphishers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 08:38 PM   #8
amielia80
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

www.aspergers.com/

http://www.autism-society.org/site/P...hatis_asperger

www.autismspeaks.org

The last one is more specific to autism , but has a lot of info. Hope some of these can help you. My son has autism, and yes to get this diagnosis you have to fit into all the criteria (I believe there are 3). I believe it is different for aspergers, since it is a higher functioning form, but all kids on the spectrum vary..it is such a wide range which is why it is a "spectrum disorder" Let me know if I can be of anymore help, I have walked this path and feel like I am an "expert " myself now LOL
Old 10-09-2007, 10:24 PM   #9
moonphishers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for the links mama - I might just pm you in the coming weeks as I move along... :hug

This quote below (from this page) describes my child to a T (it was worse as he was younger but I worked with him a lot to not do some of the things he used to do.. one of them was getting him to look me in the eye. I constantly had to get on his level and I felt as if It was me trying to get him to come out and touch base with me outside of his mind because thats where it seemed like he was. I had so many people around me make fun of me when I'd do it and I always thought how mean it was for them to critisize something I had to do to get him to be in touch... another thing that is so noticable - in photographs with groups of cousins, people from school etc, where they'd have to make a group themselves (you know - no one placed them for the photo) he was always on the side, alone. he would separate himself... he'd be smiling but alone. that is just a peek into it all...

Oh the newest thing he tells me the other day was that he hits his head when he walks into P.E. class. I said what? how come, can't you move your head out of the way, or is there a funny wall there or something.?" He said, confused at my resonse, "no mama, I do it because I have to. I just figured it out today!" *sigh*)

Quote:
Asperger’s Syndrome- this is diagnosed in school aged children who have social and behavioral symptoms of autism without the language delay. Measured intelligence is in the average to above average range. Frequently, these children show an almost obsessive interest that is unusual in intensity and focus.
Old 10-09-2007, 10:35 PM   #10
bean3
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonphishers View Post
Thanks for the links mama - I might just pm you in the coming weeks as I move along... :hug

This quote below (from this page) describes my child to a T (it was worse as he was younger but I worked with him a lot to not do some of the things he used to do.. one of them was getting him to look me in the eye. I constantly had to get on his level and I felt as if It was me trying to get him to come out and touch base with me outside of his mind because thats where it seemed like he was. I had so many people around me make fun of me when I'd do it and I always thought how mean it was for them to critisize something I had to do to get him to be in touch... another thing that is so noticable - in photographs with groups of cousins, people from school etc, where they'd have to make a group themselves (you know - no one placed them for the photo) he was always on the side, alone. he would separate himself... he'd be smiling but alone. that is just a peek into it all...

Oh the newest thing he tells me the other day was that he hits his head when he walks into P.E. class. I said what? how come, can't you move your head out of the way, or is there a funny wall there or something.?" He said, confused at my resonse, "no mama, I do it because I have to. I just figured it out today!" *sigh*)

I posted multiple times on another thread...I'll see if I can dig it up. In a nutshell, my AS kid has a lack of social graces (other than what I have taught him), he cannot read social situations, and he does not understand social norms (again, other than what I have taught him). He also has sensory overstimulation problems to contend with.

The most important thing I've done with my son is to tell him that the way he sees the world is NORMAL, to him it is NORMAL, and educate him as to what others think. If he is in a situation that he is not reading the "normal" way, I help him describe what he thinks, then I fill in the blank as to what the other person was thinking (or expecting), and I walk him through how to meet in the middle. AS kids lack instictive understanding of group dynamics, and they do not pick it up when in the group. This is why my son was undiagnosed for many years; the teachers knew something was going on, but they labeled him as willfully disobedient/problem child rather than putting the pieces together.

Anyway, AS kids need social education as well as sensory integration therapy. I had to abandon the "therapists" and the "professionals" and do this for my son. He has progressed more in the last year under my family's direction than he had with all the other therapists or in school.
bean3 is offline   Reply With Quote