Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-21-2006, 12:10 AM   #1
Nadmom
Registered Users
seller

Dumb Wool questions

I am looking for a full proof night time system. I have several things that work sometimes but not enough for me to feel confident, not even with a sposie.

She is 22 months and sometimes drinks a lot at night and can be a heavy wetter. So I am considering wool but have always been very apprehensive. I like things simple and wool has always seemed too complicated for me. (I hated having to wash my wool breast pads, I would forget about them and they took forever to dry. As much as I liked wearing them I ended up switching to pads I could just toss in the wash.)

My questions:

(this is the dumb one) Is there wool out there that can be washed normal with the rest of your dipes or does all wool require special washing? Links please.

Do you have to use fitteds? I currently don't have any, I wasn't a big fan of the fitteds and sold all mine. Is it crazy to consider putting wool over a pul pocket or AIO? (ok maybe this one is dumb too )

What specific combos would your recommend and why? Remember I like things easy, though I will just be using this at night. Links please and spam is fine.

thanks

Advertisement

Barefoot Books
Nadmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 12:34 AM   #2
flobee76
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Dumb Wool questions

I recently switched from pockets to fitteds+wool for our DD (27 mos). I did this for a few reasons: 1.) DD began to have a reaction to PUL after 10 hrs of being in it each night. 2.) She is an extremely heavy wetter and would sometimes leak out and wake up. 3.) Stripping wasn't fun for repelling pockets.

So, that's when after talking to my DBF, I was convinced to switch to fitteds and wool. That's the BEST thing we could do for DD. She hasn't leaked out at all! Plus, it's fairly easy to take care of wool- I hand wash mine then lanolize them. However, you don't have to wash them all the time- only when they start to smell like urine. Wool is amazing. I am not sure if you read up on it, but it has antibacterial properties, it's breathable, and easy to take care of!

So far, I've only tried a few fitteds. My 2 faves are Very Baby Simply Nights, and Dream-Eze. I am going to try a Swaddlebees OV. I also use Kissaluvs w/ a super soaker doubler.

I have heard of mamas who use wool over their pockets. I don't think that's crazy. Also, there are a few brands of machine washable wool, but since I am new, I don't know the names. Sorry I couldn't help in that area!
Mom to DD (5/04), DS (8/07), DD (2/09)DD (5/13), Blessing #4 in the arms of Jesus 11/2011

Jesus-follower, Traditional Foodie, Homeschooler, frugal-er
flobee76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 12:53 AM   #3
a_cthelen
My cat's breath smells like cat food
seller

Yes, you can use wool over pockets. You can wash any wool in the machine if you don't mind it becoming felted. You might want to consider recycled wool as much of it is already felted. It's pretty simple to hand-wash wool, so I don't think you'll find it too much more time consuming than doing a regular wash routine on your pockets.

As for fitteds, I use PW, VBSN, and BBL at night. I highly suggest hemp if you have a heavy wetter. DS is in a PW with a wool soaker on right now.

As another option, you could always use a fleece cover (like windpro). Then you can wash it in the machine with your other dipes!

Wool for Sale: http://hyenacart.com/Spots_corner/index.php?u=6698
a_cthelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 09:33 PM   #4
Nadmom
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_cthelen
Yes, you can use wool over pockets. You can wash any wool in the machine if you don't mind it becoming felted. You might want to consider recycled wool as much of it is already felted. It's pretty simple to hand-wash wool, so I don't think you'll find it too much more time consuming than doing a regular wash routine on your pockets.

As for fitteds, I use PW, VBSN, and BBL at night. I highly suggest hemp if you have a heavy wetter. DS is in a PW with a wool soaker on right now.

As another option, you could always use a fleece cover (like windpro). Then you can wash it in the machine with your other dipes!
Thanks for the reply. What does "felted" mean? And tell me more about fleece, does it work as well as wool?

Barefoot Books
Old 07-21-2006, 09:51 PM   #5
roseselene
Registered Users

Felted wool has been pre shrunk for lack of better wording than I can think of at this moment. If you happen to throw it in the dryer, it probably won't shrink anymore -- if it if fully felted that is.

If you are looking for an option that you can just throw in the wash with the rest of your diapers -- a fleece cover would work well. The doubler layer stacinator deluxe covers -- while bulky -- work great and can be washed with the regular diapers. If you are getting some leaks with your pockets, you could put a fleece ( or wool ) cover over your pocket. I have heard of alot of people doing this.
Hope this helps.
Amy
Old 07-21-2006, 11:52 PM   #6
Nadmom
Registered Users
seller

Thanks for the replies. I think I am going to try the fleece out before going the wool route. I just got this http://hyenacart.com/SugarPlumBaby/index.php?c=13&p=37

and this http://stacinator.com/fleece.shtml

so we will see.

I did notice in my searching that swaddlebees has a fleece cover, anyone know how it is? I have not heard anything about it and didn't see any reviews.

thanks

Barefoot Books