Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-24-2006, 06:48 PM   #1
momovthree
Registered Users
seller

Sore that won't heal...

My son had a diaper rash last week and it's mostly cleared up except for a pencil eraser sized spot that looks like a sore and it just won't heal up. It looks open, sunken and although it isn't bleeding, just looks painful. I've tried Neosporin, airing him out (he peed all over my house today, fun fun) and triple paste won't work because it just covers the area around it, it won't "stick" to that spot. KWIM?

Any suggestions? I can't seem to get this darn spot to clear up

Advertisement

momovthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 07:02 PM   #2
EasterBun
Yarn Snob
seller

My Mood:
Re: Sore that won't heal...

DD has one of those too... she had super acid poops a little over a week ago, and developed 3 little blisters. 2 have healed, but the third just doesn't want to go away, but it is slowly getting better.

We've been using triple antibiotic w/ pain releif on it, and using fleece liners so that gunk doesn't get all over her diapers... I really slather it on, so it actually "covers" the area.
EasterBun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 07:11 PM   #3
momovthree
Registered Users
seller

How long did the other two take to go away? We're going on a week here...
Old 07-24-2006, 08:19 PM   #4
EasterBun
Yarn Snob
seller

My Mood:

They've only completely gone away in the past couple of days.. so it was probably at least 9-10 days. The last one I don't think will be healed for at least another 5 days to a week... if it continues at the same pace.

The big concern really, is if it seems to be getting *worse* rather than improving.. if you are really worried you could always have it seen by a doc, but I don't think it's necessary unless it actually does get worse.
EasterBun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 09:55 PM   #5
mommypooh
Registered Users

My DS just had this problem. I got some of those cotton face pads that yyou use to clean your eye makeup off with. That are just plain cotton. I put a big glob of Aquaphor and Malox mix on it and then stuck it to his butt and put the diaper on. That way it kept the paste where it belonged and off my diaper. You could easily use any sort of Butt rash cream this way, I just can't use Zinc oxide on my children as they are allergic to it. So I have to make my own cream for them. It fully cleared up in about 3-4 days and now it is just a scar from how deep it was before I tried the cottom pads. I also did Neosporin on the pads like 2 times a day. I alternated between them and changed the pads at each diaper change adding more cream each time. I think it really helped.
mommypooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 06:48 AM   #6
Kellyd
Registered Users

It could be a staph infection. If it's getting worse instead of better you may want to have a doctor look at it.
Kellyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 06:53 AM   #7
Willys Woolies
Registered Users

Have you tried Nystatin? It's a prescription.
Willys Woolies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 07:11 AM   #8
momovthree
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willys Woolies
Have you tried Nystatin? It's a prescription.
My doc gave me Nystatin, Hyrdrocortisone and another one, something with an O. I can't remember the name. I think his tush was just too sensitive for these prescriptions, they made his entire area redder than the rash was. And it was after those meds that he started opening up.

I'm glad to hear it's normal, I was getting worried since it sunk in. I'm going to give it a few more days, I would hate to make him go through a doctor's appointment for no reason. I put some lanolin on it last night and that seemed to help a bit!

Thanks mamas!!!
Old 07-25-2006, 07:50 AM   #9
Willys Woolies
Registered Users

Wow...if you tried all those and nothing helped, I would definately call the doctor and ask to speak with him/her on the phone. Sometimes they will suggest something else without having you come in again.
Willys Woolies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 09:02 AM   #10
momovthree
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willys Woolies
Wow...if you tried all those and nothing helped, I would definately call the doctor and ask to speak with him/her on the phone. Sometimes they will suggest something else without having you come in again.
That's true, maybe I should call them again. I don't want to have to bring him in, he starts crying as soon as I undress him. I will if I have to but hate to put him through that of course.