Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 07-21-2006, 08:56 AM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
Using coconut oil

I just purchased a gallon tub of coconut oil and so far love it but I've only used it in place of my frying oils. Does anyone else have experience with using coconut oil? Does it work well in baking? How do you use your coconut oil? Thanks!

1happymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 09:16 AM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Using coconut oil

here is some info on cocnut oil for you. It is awesome stff!!

There are so many wonderful qualities to this “fat”. It is a saturated fat but not all saturated fats are the same. It has MEDIUM CHAIN FATY ACIDS-MCFA’S. They (MCFA’S) are easy to digest and, unlike any other fat are sent straight to the liver where they are used for energy and not stored as fat deposits. They (MCFA) are called the “Low Fat-Fat” and contain the least calories of all fats. They (MCFA’S) promote weight loss- if needed- by raising your body’s thermogenic temperature and supporting healthy metabolic function. The MCFA’S in coconut oil are the same ones found, in a smaller degree, in breast milk. Which protect babies from germs and viruses. Mary G. Enig, PH.D., an expert in lipid chemistry says, “This gives an important benefit. The milk has increased amounts of the protective antimicrobials, lauric acid, and capric acid, which gives even greater protection to the infant.”

These wonderful oils, locked within the coconut, are great in protecting family members of all ages. If you feel the flu coming on, take 2 TBS of coconut oil 3 times a day in a glass of fresh juice. It will help ward off the virus or shorten its stay. Helps to protect toddlers from ear infections. Pure, raw coconut oil is being used to treat AIDS and scientist are working with it to create a line of pharmaceuticals that will be effective in fighting the viruses and strains of “super-germs” that are immune to antibiotics. Virgin coconut oil is anti-microbial, anti-fungal, anti-viral, and anti-protozoal. It is a must have in every home from the medicine cabinet to culinary uses.

If you cook with oil, this should be the one. The fact that it is saturated makes it less sensitive to heat. It does not produce trans fatty acids that become “free radicals” in the body and degenerate health from a cellular level. Scientists agree that “free radicals” are the greatest destroyer of our health as they attack the sensitive nucleous and DNA of our cells. Nutritionists agree that our major onslaught of “free radicals” are received through trans fats. These fats are all hydrogenated, monounsaturated, and polyunsaturated oils that are put to any kind of heat – and most foods are prepared with them. All mono or poly fats stored in clear containers are tainted with trans fats, as they are sensitive to light and easily oxidized, thus becoming free radicals.

Try the recipe below-

“Mango Madness” Popsicles
1.Mash 2 large mangos and add 3 TBS of pure coconut oil and blend until whipped.
2.Pour into Popsicle mold and freeze.
Bluemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 11:38 AM   #3
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Using coconut oil

Heck ya to everything Blue Moon said.

I use it to mix into my body butter, I used it to sautee/pan fry. It's great if you make popcorn in a pot (I hate icky microwaved plastic popcorn). It has a much higher smoking point so it doesn't look like my kitchen is on fire when I heat it (unlike my olive oil).

I forgot to comment on the baking part: I have never used it for baking (my oven hasn't worked in a few months), but when I used to work in the health industry many of my retailers and their customers used it in place of shortening and said it was great.
DS John July 31/2006
DD Kathleen September 14/2008
DD Maria November 2/2010

New baby coming March 2013!

Last edited by babydirtybike; 07-21-2006 at 11:41 AM.
babydirtybike is offline   Reply With Quote