Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-02-2007, 04:28 PM   #1
Katherine
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
So upset - OB vent, and anyone who's VBAC'd in central Ohio, please help!

Okay, so I want a VBAC, and went in for a OB interview today - I already fired my last OB, b/c she just asked when I wanted to schedule the c/s and was really reluctant to talk about VBAC at all. So over the summer I found a practice with a midwife and OB who advertise themselves as woman-centered, low-intervention, and "natural". I saw the midwife over the summer, b/c the OB wasn't in town yet, and the midwife said that while she couldn't be my care provider, the OB shared my beliefs and would be a great fit for me.

Okay, great! I got my BFP and scheduled an appointment. Went in there today, which required leaving work early and waking my dd up early at the sitter's to make it there on time. Got in there, and first, they wouldn't let me just talk to her, they had to get my weight, blood pressure, and a urine sample . Then, the OB comes in, and we're talking, and it comes out that I had a c/s before, and want a VBAC this time. Well, seems she doesn't have privileges yet at any hospital that allows VBACs. And she's not looking to get those privileges for a long time. So basically, the midwife misled me over the summer, and no one bothered to tell me any different when I set up the appointment.

I am SO MAD...I was really excited about this practice - central Ohio has a whacked out standard of care, and restrictions are tight on VBACs; it's hard to find a OB willing to HELP you have one...they tend to reluctantly go along, assuming you'll get a repeat c/s. Not to mention the wasted time and energy to get in there. Now I get to start all over from scratch.

So....anyone here have a VBAC in central Ohio? Wanna hook me up with the OB's name? I'm seriously willing to travel an hour-ish for the right OB. I'm just not comfortable with a homebirth...I can't help the way I feel about that. My friend had a wonderful homebirth that IU truly envy, but it's not for me.

I'm terrified I'll have no choice but to have another c/s. The last one was terrible, and I still have some emotional issues over it...as in, I CANNOT touch the scar, or let anyone touch anywhere near it. I don't know how I'd handle 8 months of KNOWING I was in for another. I need help.

Advertisement

Katherine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 04:35 PM   #2
Mommy/4boys
Registered Users
Formerly: mommy/3boys
seller

My Mood:
Re: So upset - OB vent, and anyone who's VBAC'd in central Ohio, please help!

I am in Soutwest Ohio and I know that all the drs around here don't offer VBACs either. I know that Ohio has tougher laws in allowing them to do that because of Malpractice insurance. I am unable to find a Midwive that delivers in a hospital around me. GL!
Old 10-02-2007, 04:47 PM   #3
Katherine
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My mom is a mother-baby nurse at a hospital in SW Ohio - she might know some OB's that have more VBACs than others - you want me to find some names for you?
Old 10-02-2007, 05:00 PM   #4
Fairyblue
Registered Users
Formely: aidan_madisons_mom
seller

My Mood:

check out http://www.vbac.com/ to see if there is anything in your area to help you.
Old 10-02-2007, 05:43 PM   #5
OwensMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My first son was born in Central Ohio. Ill PM you the name of my last OB. I was with her for my first child and REALLY liked her, no VBAC, but I'm sure wont hurt to find names and check them out.
OwensMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 05:48 PM   #6
4boys1girlforme
Registered Users
Previously: 4boysforme
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm in Ohio too and recently came up against the same thing. I will be driving about an hour to an OB that will try for a VBAC (she delivered my second son)- it is heartbreaking to feel that all your choices and preferences just vanish- poof into thin air! I went to a local OB that will VBAC in my area that looked at my post op notes and said no way- you only had a one layer closure. I cried for the rest of the day!
Lee Ann RN student/ SAHM to Jaret '00, Spencer '03, Preston '05 (CLW at 37 months), Griffin '08 by VBAC (CLW at 21 months), & Mallory '10 by VBAC (CLW at 43 months)! Formerly tandem & bfing for a combined total of nearly 11 years! Also cloth diapering & baby wearingMy HUGE FSOT
4boys1girlforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 05:54 PM   #7
Katherine
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwensMama View Post
My first son was born in Central Ohio. Ill PM you the name of my last OB. I was with her for my first child and REALLY liked her, no VBAC, but I'm sure wont hurt to find names and check them out.
I would really appreciate that.
Old 10-02-2007, 06:55 PM   #8
averysmom
Registered Users

pm'd you.
Avery Grace 8-17-05 Autumn Rose my HBAC baby 2-9-10 EXPECTING #4 sometime in Sept. 2012 Planning my second homebirth!!
averysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 07:06 PM   #9
kimb96
Registered Users
seller

Miami Valley hospital in dayton allows vbacs. Not sure how far you are from dayton. There is also a natural child birth center within the hospital. I'm not sure if they would allow you to try a vbac or not. I believe they do. They have a pretty nice setup with the natural childbirth center. It's called family beginnings. Everything is natural, intervention free but if there is an emergency, you can be in surgery just as quick as if you were birthing in the regular l & d unit.

I have not started my search yet for an ob as I am also in the market for one who does vbacs. I had a c section last time and I want to try for a vbac. I believe that dr sangve offers them and has privilages at miami valley.

Mama to Ethan
kimb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 07:51 PM   #10
Mommy/4boys
Registered Users
Formerly: mommy/3boys
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine View Post
My mom is a mother-baby nurse at a hospital in SW Ohio - she might know some OB's that have more VBACs than others - you want me to find some names for you?
I am lucky to have had vaginal deliveries but my babies like to come early so I need to be in hospital in case they need to bw taken care of right away.
I hope you find a ob that will let you try a VBAC. Thank you for the offer though!