Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 10-02-2007, 03:02 PM   #1
Leigh Ann
Registered Users
When should I introduce bottles?

Emma is almost 2 weeks old, and so far nursing is going great. I want to introduce bottles at some point so that DH can help feed her, but I don't want her to take to the bottles so well that she decides she doesn't want the breast, which is what happened with DS. What is the ideal time to introduce a bottle? I've heard so many different opinions I'm just not sure what to do.

Leigh Ann ~ SAHM to Jessica, Brayden & Emma
Vtech Stuff, Leap Frog Tag and Tag Jr., Scrapbook, Mei Ties FS
For Sale Album
Leigh Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 03:12 PM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: When should I introduce bottles?

Our lactation consultant suggested trying a bottle evey other day starting at about 4 weeks old. I too was scared that my guy would prefer the bottle but that hasn't been the case - he'd way rather nurse!

Anyway, we did start that at around 4.5 weeks old - I am now back to work one day a week and he only has bottles that one day and takes them no problem.
Wife to David Mom to Alex (6/07) and Aidan (10/09) dogmom to Zoe
Dragonfly Gifts: Gift baskets, baby blankets, cloth napkins, and more! Use code DSMAMA for 10% off!
AlexandZoesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 03:50 PM   #3
Registered Users
My Mood:

We started at 3 weeks. Nursing was (and is) going great, and I was scared to wait much longer than 3 weeks because my mom waited 6 weeks with my sister and she refused to take bottles.
Three weeks worked really well - she took to the bottle just fine, no problems, and never had a problem with the breast.

My advice is once you have both "delivery methods" working well, DON'T stop giving bottles (if you want that option available). Every other day or every day is what I'll do with my next babies. When dd was about 3 months, we went a week w/o giving her a bottle since breast is so much easier, and that was it. She refused all subsequent attempts. Now she'll play with water in a sippy cup, but I don't feel comfortable leaving her long enough where she'll miss a feeding because I don't *know* that she'll drink breast milk. (sigh)
Wife (9/03) to Stacey, my Englishman, and SAHM to Cora Rose (2/9/07)
EDD 4/22/10!
wahlaworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 04:05 PM   #4
Registered Users
My Mood:

Leigh Ann- thanks for posting this! I was wondering the same thing. Just got my Born Free bottles today and DH will try to give DS a bottle tonight. I just hope I can pump enough!
wife to Tim (10/23/99)
Mom to DD (5/04), DS (8/07), DD (2/09)DD (5/13), Blessing #4 in the arms of Jesus 11/2011

Jesus-follower, Traditional Foodie, Homeschooler, frugal-er
flobee76 is offline   Reply With Quote