Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-02-2007, 05:11 PM   #1
morganandevansmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My son is anemic Dr. say's I must wean................

My son is anemic (I had the same problem when I was little)

Today our Doc prescribed Iron drops and told me that I must wean him. She says I am going to harm his brain if I keep nursing.

Won't the drops help him? And everything I seem to have read says breastfeeding is better for Iron.

They did bloodwork today to see if anything else could be causing his anemia.

Please help! Do I have to wean or is she just being mean?

Advertisement

Old 10-02-2007, 05:13 PM   #2
MamaToBe84
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: My son is anemic Dr. say's I must wean................

i would get a second opinion. Im not expert of course, but i cant see how weaning would do any good, especially if you have to supplement with iron regardless...
Old 10-02-2007, 05:13 PM   #3
foodie.yarnie.mommie.
Registered Users
Formerly: dimibella
seller

My Mood:

Please don't listen to her, there are a lot of ways to supplement both your iron. This is so sad to here and beyond infuriating, do you know what his #s were by any chance? Let me find some resources for you and I'll post later, I'm sure some other mamas will jump in too.
Old 10-02-2007, 05:17 PM   #4
Prettylocks
Registered Users
seller

I would give him lots of iron rich foods combined with vit c (to help him absorb it), continue nursing, and have his levels checked in 2 weeks. If you want to give him the drops, do that, too, and have his iron checked again. Don't stop nursing him for fear of harming his brain. That is ridiculous.
Old 10-02-2007, 05:18 PM   #5
crunchymomof3
Registered Users
Formerly: mommy2boys0608
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaToBe84 View Post
i would get a second opinion. Im not expert of course, but i cant see how weaning would do any good, especially if you have to supplement with iron regardless...
ITA with above .. get a second opinon .. how would nursing harm his brain ??
crunchymomof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 05:44 PM   #6
foodie.yarnie.mommie.
Registered Users
Formerly: dimibella
seller

My Mood:

Here's one article that should hopefully be reassure you that you are right, that continuing to breastfeed is infact better for a anemic child.

http://www.drgreene.com/21_121.html
Old 10-02-2007, 06:04 PM   #7
YummyYarnAddict
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree with the PPs that the doctor is misinformed and passed incorrect information along to you. SS mama. First, get the test results. Ask for your ds' hemoglobin, hematocrit, RBC (red blood cell count), and then ask if they did a ferritin level or TIBC (total iron binding capacity). If they haven't done the latter two, ask that they do a ferritin level. I'm guessing that if they ran additional testing, that the ferritin level or TIBC is part of it, as well as a B6 and/or B12 to determine what type of anemia it is as it may not be iron deficiency anemia. Ask if it's MACROcytic or MICROcytic anemia. Arm yourself with information and let them know you're an informed consumer.

Iron deficiency anemia is absolutely NO indication to stop breastfeeding! You can google it up or do a PubMed search, but there are no clinical findings to back that up. Given that iron deficiency is THE most prevalent nutritional deficiency worldwide, WHO would have been all over that one! Chronic iron deficiency gone untreated can cause problems with learning and myelination and there are some studies linking it to ADHD, but that's not what we're talking about here AND there's nothing linking it to breastfeeding. You're treating your ds.

As far as treatment, you can go ahead with the drops if you wish. Another thing to consider is giving him Floradix which can be given to children as well as adults. It's a bit gentler than the Rx or other OTC liquid meds. Another thing in terms of diet is to give iron rich foods and iron supplements with vitamin c rich foods and to NOT give them with milk as calcium inhibits the absorption of iron. A friend of mine was driving herself crazy trying to figure out why her meat eating kids were anemic until I asked her if she was serving milk with each meal. As soon as she stopped, their hemoglobin levels increased and that was the only change she made.

GL and
YummyYarnAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 06:04 PM   #8
morganandevansmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

His level was 8.2
Old 10-02-2007, 06:21 PM   #9
willisfmly
Registered Users

My Mood:

You should contact Dr Jay Gordon , He is a very pro-bfing ped and Im sure he would be able to give you aweosme advice. He has a web site and takes calls from MOMs all over the US. He is all about helping Moms bf. Check him out I think its www.drjaygrodon.com you can email him on the contact page. He helped me alot when my youngest DD had a UTI and her ped wanted to do alot of unnessary test w/radioactive dye!! He is awesome he wont charge you and he will give you sound advice!!! You could also contact your local LLL mine has some super smart Moms.
GOOD LUCK
willisfmly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 06:25 PM   #10
staceyroo77
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would would get another opinion. I was told by my doctor that bf babies can have slightly lower iron and hemoglobin levels and still be w/in a normal range, IYKWIM. I wouldn't wean for any reason like that though, there is no way formula (if he's suggesting formula) would be BETTER. Just my