Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-02-2007, 06:41 PM   #11
jessicap
Registered Users
seller

Re: My son is anemic Dr. say's I must wean................

My son at 5 months old had to have a blood transfusion because his hemoglobin was so low that they could not draw blood to figure out why he was dangerously anemic. I mean he was so low that he was turning yellowish and his eyes were turning colors, the whites taht is. His numbers were about 5.1 which they want them up towards 13 I believe.

I solely nursed him at the time. No solids at all. We got the transfusion and found out that it indeed was just an iron defiency. It was due to him being preemie, he was born before all of his stores could build up and so that meant that when he was going through his growth spurts all of his stores that he did have were used up very very quickly.

The reason that she is talking about brain development is because it is the iron and iron stores that are essential to brain development and growth. So if the iron is low, and the stores are low, then there is not enough to carry them through a growth spurt and through the critical brain growth.

BUT that being said, an iron rich diet if they are old enough for solids with drops will work out fabulously. I refused to start him on anything but the drops as far as food went becuase he was not old enough I did not think. So my peditrician AND hemotologist were totally on board with my continued and exclusive breastfeeding. In fact, they encouraged it. Sure formula has more iron in it, but it is not as digestible as breast milk iron, there fore proving to be almost useless in that department, where as the iron in breastmilk is fully digestible, it is just used very quickly.

Get another opinion, find a doc that does not live in arachic times and can give you up to date research. Go to a hemotologist if you need to. But I personally would fire your ped for information like this. IF she is misinformed on important facts like this, what else is she misinformed about?

But I wanted to give you hugs, this can be a really scary time, but seriously it is totally treatable, and depending on what kind of anemia it is, it is very easy to overcome.

When you start on the drops, be prepared that it could cause constipation. With my little man it was terrible, so I have been giving him a tsp of coconut oil a day and it lubes up his poo and stuff and it works out great as a natural laxitive.

Advertisement

jessicap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 08:05 PM   #12
staceyroo77
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicap View Post
My son at 5 months old had to have a blood transfusion because his hemoglobin was so low that they could not draw blood to figure out why he was dangerously anemic. I mean he was so low that he was turning yellowish and his eyes were turning colors, the whites taht is. His numbers were about 5.1 which they want them up towards 13 I believe.

I solely nursed him at the time. No solids at all. We got the transfusion and found out that it indeed was just an iron defiency. It was due to him being preemie, he was born before all of his stores could build up and so that meant that when he was going through his growth spurts all of his stores that he did have were used up very very quickly.

The reason that she is talking about brain development is because it is the iron and iron stores that are essential to brain development and growth. So if the iron is low, and the stores are low, then there is not enough to carry them through a growth spurt and through the critical brain growth.

BUT that being said, an iron rich diet if they are old enough for solids with drops will work out fabulously. I refused to start him on anything but the drops as far as food went becuase he was not old enough I did not think. So my peditrician AND hemotologist were totally on board with my continued and exclusive breastfeeding. In fact, they encouraged it. Sure formula has more iron in it, but it is not as digestible as breast milk iron, there fore proving to be almost useless in that department, where as the iron in breastmilk is fully digestible, it is just used very quickly.

Get another opinion, find a doc that does not live in arachic times and can give you up to date research. Go to a hemotologist if you need to. But I personally would fire your ped for information like this. IF she is misinformed on important facts like this, what else is she misinformed about?

But I wanted to give you hugs, this can be a really scary time, but seriously it is totally treatable, and depending on what kind of anemia it is, it is very easy to overcome.

When you start on the drops, be prepared that it could cause constipation. With my little man it was terrible, so I have been giving him a tsp of coconut oil a day and it lubes up his poo and stuff and it works out great as a natural laxitive.
Old 10-02-2007, 08:40 PM   #13
robinsoncasa
Registered Users

My Mood:

The same thing happened with my SIL's ped. I don't understand the thought that nursing would NOT be beneficial to the child. I definitely agree with the other mamas...another opinion.

Proud APing, BFing, CDing, Babywearing, natural kind of mama to an active 4 year old boy and a sweet 1 year old girl.
robinsoncasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 08:44 PM   #14
moonphishers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If nothing else get a hold of a LLL leader... They should be able to help you with anything you havent gathered from this post...

But definitely get another opinion. YIKES!

Here's a link to look over in the interim.

Old 10-02-2007, 08:50 PM   #15
talitha
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My son's iron level was around 9 when they first tested him at 1 year. Then I started giving him a tiny bit of orange juice and mixed in his vitamins with iron in it every morning. 2 months later it was 11, and a month after that at 15 months his iron is 12.5. So I'd say yes the supplements worked for us.

I never stopped nursing him either. I don't see what that has to do it it. Your son is 2 right? So it's not like you'd be giving him formula if you wean him. I'd say it's time for a more breastfeeding friendly ped.
Old 10-02-2007, 08:51 PM   #16
talitha
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

BTW, I've also heard that Black Strap Molasses ( have no idea if that's how you spell it) is fantastic for iron supplementation. If you could sneak that somewhere in his diet you could try that.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:36 PM   #17
yoopermama
Registered Users
Formerly: J*** G***
seller

My Mood:

Eat lots of leafy green veggies, spinach, romaine lettuce, kale, broccoli, etc, these all have high amounts of iron. As for harming his brain that is a pile of poop! and absolutely ludacris. Check out kellymom.com or Dr. Sears or anybody else except here, ruining his brain...what did they teach her in med school? adn yes blackstrap molasses is great
yoopermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 10:35 PM   #18
luvmykiddoes
COOP HOSTESS
sitesupporter
seller
seller

I have never heard a doctor saying you had to wean because a child was anemic. I do know that it is common for a child to be anemic when breast fed but that is why they have you give supplements. You might want to find a more breastfeeding friendly doctor.

luvmykiddoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 10:41 PM   #19
cakeums
Registered Users
Formerly: mn***r
seller

My Mood:

That's no reason to stop weaning, especially if you can give supplements and give him plenty of iron-rich foods! I'm guessing that your ped is suggesting weaning because he's over 2 y/o. If he were 2 m/o I bet she'd say nothing of the sort, KWIM?
cakeums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 10:50 PM   #20
BFGuru
Registered Users

My Mood:

That would be reason enough for me to fire my practioner. I noticed your siggie says he's over a year? Sounds like she's just looking for an excuse to tell you extended nursing is wrong at which point she is NOT b/f friendly. What was his reading anyway? DS was 15 mos old and just starting to consume solids w/ any consistancy due to severe food allergies. He still only came one point shy of being in normal iron ranges. Iron in b/m is much more soluble than iron from other food sources. Your ped just got bought out by formula companies.
BFGuru is offline   Reply With Quote