Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-03-2007, 03:58 AM   #21
jeannewojo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: My son is anemic Dr. say's I must wean................

It is beyond me how a hormone laden cow in a labratory is a healthier source of food for a human infant than that babe's own mamalian mother.

IMO, your ped is an idiot who has bought into the formula co's propoganda.

The *only* reason an infant should not have breastmilk is when they are diagnosed with galactosemia.http://www.cdc.gov/breastfeeding/dis...indicators.htm

Advertisement

Old 10-03-2007, 05:32 AM   #22
kimmyjling
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayna Graham View Post
Eat lots of leafy green veggies, spinach, romaine lettuce, kale, broccoli, etc, these all have high amounts of iron. As for harming his brain that is a pile of poop! and absolutely ludacris. Check out kellymom.com or Dr. Sears or anybody else except here, ruining his brain...what did they teach her in med school? adn yes blackstrap molasses is great
I also had low iron issues (me, not ds) Pepitas, or raw pumkin seeds are one of the highest sources of natural iron, at almost 30% of the daily requirement. I'm so sorry that your doc mislead you, but breastmilk iron is the most effective and digestable-so if you load up on it, baby should be getting plenty as well! Pumpkin seeds can be ground into powder in the coffee grinder and added to tomato sauses (mixed with an acid aides in absorbtion) blended into an orange juice based smootie, sneak it in anywhere!
kimmyjling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 07:04 AM   #23
morganandevansmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I thinks she thinks he is too old. She is blaming him being anemic because he nurses and is a picky eater. According to her if he were weaned he would not be a picky eater.

I don't see how weaning him will suddenly make him eat anything in site. He is 2 and all 2 year olds tend to get picky.

I planned on weaning him when he was ready.
Old 10-03-2007, 07:07 AM   #24
jessicap
Registered Users
seller

Oh and something further for you to know is that cow's milk is actually something that will sap out the iron in your body. I am not sure if he is drinking cow's milk as well as momma milk, but just some food for thought. If the ped wants you to wean what does she want you to give in place? Bc if she is suggesting milk she is even more in the dark than what we originally thought....
jessicap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 07:33 AM   #25
momof3peewees
Registered Users

Aso, if you cook in a cast iron pan that will boost up the iron in his food. Especially if it's tomato or appleauce! I agree with the others, I'd find a new dr! Tina
momof3peewees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 09:39 AM   #26
spacetygrss
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by talitha View Post
I never stopped nursing him either. I don't see what that has to do it it. Your son is 2 right? So it's not like you'd be giving him formula if you wean him. I'd say it's time for a more breastfeeding friendly ped.

DITTO.

I think that your ped is just trying to find an excuse to get you to stop breastfeeding.

Good luck with the drops +/- iron-rich foods!
Old 10-03-2007, 12:40 PM   #27
morganandevansmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Where can I buy the coconut oil?

Also is that kind of molasses just a brand name?

I hope he will take the drops.

I just picked them up.

I was telling dh it wouldn't have bothered me if she would have said that he needs to eat more so maybe got back on letting him nurse but to say I have to wean him because I am going to harm his brain.

Then she told my husband "do you hear that Dad? you make sure she weans"

I am so mad. Should I write a letter because it is a multi doctor practice and I want her to know I do not appreciate getting bullied.

The worst part is there was a student nurse practitioner student in there who heard the whole thing so know she is going to think extended breastfeeding is bad.

Does anyone have any real good links that I can print out for the doctor on the benefits of extended breastfeeding?
Old 10-03-2007, 06:40 PM   #28
geckoed
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

my son is anemic and 3 of his Drs (he his a lot of medical needs) told us NOT to wean b/c the iron in breastmilk is so much more bioavailable.
I increased MY iron (there is conflict as to whether or not this will help- I figure it wont hurt) and we did NOT use the prescribed drops. One Dr was very against them and had us use Floridix iron liquid from the health food store since its natural and easily digested so doesnt cause constipation etc. It tastes awful, but it works really well and doesn't have the side effects.

check kellymom for more info.
And dont be a weaner
Old 10-03-2007, 06:46 PM   #29
bellamama
Registered Users
seller

Do not wean.
The iron in breastmilk absorbs much easier than formula. Cut out dairy(blocks absorbtion) and eat lots of leaf green veggies and any other high iron foods.
If he eats food, do the same for him. I gave my daughter a infant vitamin on the side because the drops are horrible!