Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-03-2007, 09:50 PM   #21
I Smile Because Of Them
Registered Users
seller

Location: I'm only passing through here as my real home is in Heaven!
My Mood:
Re: GBS Test?

Mine was done at 37 week check up.

Advertisement

Old 10-03-2007, 10:24 PM   #22
madebytrudi
Registered Users

My Mood:

Not sure if this is what the other poster meant with the garlic, but this is what was recommended by my midwife:
Pop the garlic in your vagina. It won't get lost and it is a great way to deal with a vaginal yeast infection or any kind of infection. You will absorb all the healing benefits of garlic without having to eat it. Eating is best, but not for everyone. Also, you will smell like garlic until it has gone thru your system & gets expelled ina BM. Inserting it vaginally, you will smell like garlic until you push it out. Usually it comes out when you pee. For my kids, I chop garlic & put it into their socks at night. Their feet are very absorbent! I do that & a garlic oil rub when they're sic.

My midwife also said most of the GBS tests are false. That almost every woman has it in her colon, but not every baby will have issues with it. For me personally, I don't play around with antibiotics that are un-natural. They have been used way too much and like op said, the germs are becoming immune to prescription antibiotics now.
homeschooling mum (d15, d13, d11, s8, s6) Surprise #6 due Aug 13!
Navy vet and wife to a ret. MARINE
Lend Me Your Pen: my kids's homeschooling Magazine project
madebytrudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 10:49 PM   #23
ClothDiaperingMama
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmy2girls View Post
If it can sometimes render false results, then why do they do it???
It doesn't render false results. It tests to see "if at that time" you have GBS.
GBS can come and go. Meaning.. sometimes it shows up and sometimes it doesn't. If the mother hasn't had a positive result or a GBS baby.. that is their only way of knowing. It sometimes shows up with the test. They catch some of them but not all. I don't do the test because I had a + GBS baby that almost died. I, nor my obs, will risk that again. I tested neg. for the test at the time, but it was apparently 'active" during L & D. At that time, we had no reason to give me IV meds as I wasn't at risk. {I should add that I had had a healthy non GBS baby before her so there was no reason to suspect that I had it}.

We don't bother testing now because we know that I am a carrier of it. It may or may not be active during L & D, but I will always be covered with IV meds just in case.

HTHs!
Old 10-04-2007, 04:50 AM   #24
Twoplussixis8
Registered Users
Formerly: granolamama5
seller

My Mood:

You can also take

500 mg of vitamin C
garlic pills

Gluten-free "LIVING" can be a pleasant experience with a "good attitude"

http://glutenfreefoodsrock.blogspot.com/
Twoplussixis8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 07:33 PM   #25
Hootemcboob
Registered Users

My Mood:

There have been studies that also show that washing with hibiclens (diluted) works just as well as the antibiotics without the side effects.
Old 10-05-2007, 08:02 PM   #26
MamaJoyful
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hootemcboob View Post
There have been studies that also show that washing with hibiclens (diluted) works just as well as the antibiotics without the side effects.
I wish more moms knew this! My midwife knew this and explained it all to me. My 4th pregnancy was the first time I had GBS issues. Here's what happened to me:

I had an a-symptomatic Urinary Tract Infection, which was cuased by GBS, during week 24. She recommended antibiotics, but understood if I didn't want to take them. Knowing what I know now, I would have taken garlic instead, but I didn't know. She said there was risk of infection and preterm labor, and suggested the anticiotics. However, during labor, she suggested I use the Hibicleans sp? and do this several days prior to labor:

I think it was 2 weeks prior to my due date we started a regimen of inserting a clove of garlic every night. (I used dental floss inserted in the garlic as a "tampon like effect." I covered it with aloe vera gel to protect the sensative skin of the birth canal. Garlic is strong stuff, so even when using on the kids I always use a protective layer of olive oil right next to their feet. Anyhow, she also suggested my husband apply aloe vera gel and Tea Tree Oil to his privates so that during intercourse we would not have re-infecting issues. I also used the aloe vera/ TTO in the AM, simply applying it to the outer region and then even wiping it all the way back to the bum.

It was scary to have to deal with this GBS threat, but after researching it, I came to the conclusion that antibiotics during labor are scarier in my situation. I believe that I had the UTI because my immune system was not working well. So to subject my baby to the possibility of being infected with other germies like e-coli, and antibiotic resistent stuff was more of a risk. I felt that she was safer without the antibiotics. From what I understand, antibiotics get to the baby too, and it basically wipes their good bacteria out, leaving them open to attack. So in my situation, I was worried about the quality of my breast milk since my immune system was so strained at the time. I felt I may not be producing adequate antibiodies to protect her from that. In order to do all that I could, I took high quality natural supplements in addition to the regimen I stated above.

All in all, it was a hard choice to go against the grain on that one, but I am glad now that I did. I think it was the right choice for my situation. I researched it and found lots and lots of info. BTW, I tested negative with the vaginal/anal swap at 36 weeks. But even so, antibiotics are still routinely recommended because I had a UTI caused by GBS.

We do so many things just trusting that they are safe, when in fact using the antibiotics does indeed carry risks. Each mama should weigh the risk/benefits. And back to my original statement...I wish more pregnant mamas knew about Hibicleanse! I do not understand why Drs don't use it.
Old 10-05-2007, 08:10 PM   #27
MamaJoyful
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granolamama5 View Post
You can also take

500 mg of vitamin C
garlic pills
Great suggestion! Yes, I belive I took vitamin C if I remember right, but taking garlic pills is not as effective as taking crushed garlic by mouth. When I need garlic, I simply crush one or two cloves with a garlic press and then swallow with a whole glass of water. It sometimes hurts my tummy for a very short time, but it's worth it to have the real thing. If needed I will take a piece of toast of some oatmeal to help my tummy.

We always have fresh garlic on hand around here. Great stuff! One nutritionist I saw told me that 6 cloves of crushed garlic daily, taken orally are as effective as an antibiotic for several ailments. Plus it has antiviral effects too. I cannot site a study to prove this is true, but in my life experience I will say that the stuff is a wonderfully effective remedy! It really works.

But just like any substance, it needs to be taken in knowledge and with wisdom. I sometimes know that my body just needs to rest and not fight, and then I will skip garlic and drink some chamomile tea and relax. I do need to research how safe garlic is in pregnancy. That is on my to-do list.
Old 12-16-2007, 01:11 PM   #28
Shawna in CA
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hootemcboob View Post
What ratio of water to Hibiclens?

"If we switch to eating a vegan diet, we no longer have to "save the planet". Veganism allows the planet to save itself." ~~ Jeff Popick
Shawna in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 01:26 PM   #29
BelovedBird
Registered Users
seller

i got tested at 38 weeks.
Old 12-16-2007, 04:14 PM   #30
MamaJoyful
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawna in CA View Post
What ratio of water to Hibiclens?
Are you having a home birth or unassissted? Your midwife would probably know if you are using one. Hope you find the info you need. You can PM me and I can ask my midwife next time I see her.