Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-03-2007, 07:45 AM   #1
sourpatch_babe
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
He said what???!

I was talking with my friend regarding her not quite two week old daughter. She kept talking about how the baby was so hungry and wanting to eat all the time and then she said:

that her ped told her if her daughter didn't calm down on the eating this week, to start putting cereal in her bottles next week (baby is formula/breast fed)!! I was all like what? I told her that cereal should never be put in a baby bottle and that for the first six months babies can't eat anything but milk because their system is not ready for solids yet. I told her to get a second opinion but since I'm that crazy chick that breastfed more than two weeks/babywore/kept her child rear facing until he was 15 months old I don't think she'll listen to me. I can't believe that in today's age a pediatrician would recommend cereal in a bottle for a newborn! And have an issue with said newborn eating all the time, I mean what the heck is the baby supposed to do? Play scrabble?

Geez, sorry. Rant over.

Advertisement

Dear Baby in my Belly, Please come out. Seriously. It's like a 100 degrees here, IN CANADA. Your dad has taken to calling me puffy. I get that you're a dude and the last thing you want to do is leave a place you're going to spend the rest of your life trying to get back into, but enough. Your room is really cool, come out and see it. Sincerely, Love Mummy
sourpatch_babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 07:47 AM   #2
BeBe123
Registered Users

Re: He said what???!

omg!! time to change peds!!!
Old 10-03-2007, 08:01 AM   #3
sourpatch_babe
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I told her that too, but since it's "normal" to put cereal in the baby bottle ( I know someone that would put an ENTIRE jar of baby food in a four month old's bottle) I don't think she sees it as a bad thing.
Dear Baby in my Belly, Please come out. Seriously. It's like a 100 degrees here, IN CANADA. Your dad has taken to calling me puffy. I get that you're a dude and the last thing you want to do is leave a place you're going to spend the rest of your life trying to get back into, but enough. Your room is really cool, come out and see it. Sincerely, Love Mummy
Old 10-03-2007, 08:41 AM   #4
clarinetb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh, my goodness! I know my aunt/uncle in Australia were adding cereal at 2 months - I went nuts when I heard that.

Even the 'non-crunchy' books say not to do this. Does she/do you have a copy of 'What to Expect the First Year'? It's not my favourite, but it is main stream and I'm pretty sure it explicitly says not to do this!!
Old 10-03-2007, 08:42 AM   #5
MamaL
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm sure that my SIL started adding cereal to my neice's bottle REALLY early.

OMG. I can't believe the ped told her that! Freaking insane!
MamaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 09:25 AM   #6
House of Blue
Registered Users
seller

There is a small advertising campaign in this city getting the word out about exclusive breast or bottle for the 1st 6 months. These posters are on the back of busses, in public bathrooms, at the grocery store, librabry... I think your friend can be fairly confident that this is now mainstream thinking
House of Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 09:32 AM   #7
lilmama2dsndd
Boobies Broke? Gorilla Glue Em!!!
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourpatch_babe View Post
I told her that too, but since it's "normal" to put cereal in the baby bottle ( I know someone that would put an ENTIRE jar of baby food in a four month old's bottle) I don't think she sees it as a bad thing.

One morning when I was dropping DD off @ DCP there was a new baby in the class (6 weeks old) that belonged to one of the workers (older classes) and she was putting 2 jars of babyfood in his bottle. Because I knew her (she also had a DS my DS's age and they were friends) I knew that the baby was born 8 weeks premature, and that as soon as he came home from the hospital (3 weeks) she started putting a jar of babyfood into an 8 oz bottle of formula. (BTW- the infant teacher refused to do it so mom would come in & do it herself). I always wanted to cry when I saw her making the bottles/feeding him.
Old 10-03-2007, 09:34 AM   #8
ScrappyCat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

sounds like an old school ped. they used to do that all the time. but OMG a newborn's tummy is so tiny that OF COURSE THEY EAT ALL THE TIME! It's also the only way her supply of BM will stay up. I put my 3MO on a teensy tiny bit of rice cereal (like 1 teaspoon) in his evening bottle because of acid reflux and only so we could avoid putting him on a prescription of zantac or whatever that med is.
ScrappyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 09:50 AM   #9
clarinetb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmama2dsndd View Post
One morning when I was dropping DD off @ DCP there was a new baby in the class (6 weeks old) that belonged to one of the workers (older classes) and she was putting 2 jars of babyfood in his bottle. Because I knew her (she also had a DS my DS's age and they were friends) I knew that the baby was born 8 weeks premature, and that as soon as he came home from the hospital (3 weeks) she started putting a jar of babyfood into an 8 oz bottle of formula. (BTW- the infant teacher refused to do it so mom would come in & do it herself). I always wanted to cry when I saw her making the bottles/feeding him.
Unbelievable .... and a preemie? Less than 40 weeks corrected and giving baby food? Wow. My sister works in a NICU and the stories about how much trouble these little ones have digesting anything. They really, really encourage breastfeeding and getting mum to pump so they can tube feed breastmilk in the hospital. Poor little thing

Okay, I admit I'm getting pretty adament about the need to breastfeed now that I have my own little one, so some probably aren't as committed and crazy abou it as I am, but this is plain nuts! Even when I was a baby, they never suggested putting cereal in the bottle, just to start feeding cereal at 3 months. It is a choking hazard putting thick stuff in a bottle like that....

Oy, okay, I'm getting mad.... It reminds me of when I was in Romania at the hospital with the abandonned babies. They were giving them 'formula', either it was watered down or skim milk powder, or else they were giving them what looked like carrot juice. They didn't like that it took them a long time to feed, so they put larger holes in the nipples, then the babies aspirated it! Okay, they were really bad there and mostly propped the bottles up and left, so this is really extreme... Anyways, I guess my point is feeding babies poorly just isn't taking care of them and they deserve to be cared for properly!!

Okay, I'll be quiet now and go back to what I was doing...
Old 10-03-2007, 10:00 AM   #10
sourpatch_babe
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Unfortunately, I don't think she'll breastfeed for long either. She's been using the worst type of bottle nipples in her bottles and the lil girl already has trouble latching on. I tried giving her advice and told her to get with an LC or to call LLL but with a doctor giving her that kind of advice, who knows what will happen..