Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-03-2007, 10:03 AM   #11
clarinetb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: He said what???!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourpatch_babe View Post
Unfortunately, I don't think she'll breastfeed for long either. She's been using the worst type of bottle nipples in her bottles and the lil girl already has trouble latching on. I tried giving her advice and told her to get with an LC or to call LLL but with a doctor giving her that kind of advice, who knows what will happen..
If you can't get good advice from doctors, no wonder there are such problems with getting breastfeeding rates up! Yikes.

Good for you for trying though. That is the best you can do, though it sounds like you'd love to be able to do more!

Advertisement

Old 10-03-2007, 10:03 AM   #12
greenMImama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My nephewa doctor said the same thing, they started ading cereal around 3-4 months, I tried to tell them, but they wouldn' listen.

240/2014
greenMImama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 10:50 AM   #13
Rosella
Registered Users
seller

I am on another board where EVERYONE it seems is putting cereal in their LO's bottles! None of the babies are over 10 weeks old

I finally posted and asked WHY on earth anyone thought this was a good idea? And sure enough, the reply back was 'so they don't eat so much'! WHA????????

We should remember that if a situation cannot be changed, there's no point in worrying about it. If it can be changed, there is no need to worry about it either, we should simply go about changing it. His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama
Rosella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 11:47 AM   #14
averysmom
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosella View Post
I am on another board where EVERYONE it seems is putting cereal in their LO's bottles! None of the babies are over 10 weeks old

I finally posted and asked WHY on earth anyone thought this was a good idea? And sure enough, the reply back was 'so they don't eat so much'! WHA????????
People! Gosh! They do that so they don't have to spend money on Formula. If they would breastfeed, they would save money. I have a friend who put cereal in her baby's bottle at 3 days old. I was in complete shock. I always feed my baby's cereal mixed with breastmilk from a spoon. Both my babies started solids at aroud 6-8 months. People just really don't think. It's so frustrating.
Avery Grace 8-17-05 Autumn Rose my HBAC baby 2-9-10 EXPECTING #4 sometime in Sept. 2012 Planning my second homebirth!!
averysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 01:24 PM   #15
Spencersmomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It isn't just the ped office now it is WIC too.....I HATE my WIC office...I love the nurses but the actual nutritionist told me I HAD to give cereal at 4 months because DS needs the iron and also because I would be "breastfeeding too much all together".....I told her I was holding off till at least 6 months anyway because my older DS had HORRIBLE stomach issues from day ONE.....she looked at me like I was nuts and then goes, "OK so we will make it a goal to start your infant on cereal by FOUR MONTHS" I was like gee thanks for listening!!!
Spencersmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 01:34 PM   #16
isis0821
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosella View Post

You know, the reason why I don't go to other more "mainstream" message boards is because I find that mamas (and occasionally dads!) on this board are so much more well-informed. The bad advice that I read on those boards drove me crazy, so I just don't go to them anymore.

I can't believe the amount of misinformation that people have, including doctors! Please print this out from kellymom.com and give it to your friend. There are a bunch of links to references from reputable places like the WHO and AAP that you can print out for her as well.

http://kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/delay-solids.html
isis0821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 01:42 PM   #17
aya&judah
Registered Users

WOW, I guess I am a crazy chick too since I have been BFing for 3 months, I didn't turn my daughter to front facing until 15 months too and I will not give cereal in the bottle EVER. WOW.
aya&judah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 01:50 PM   #18
mamoo3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't think I would do well on those mainstream boards, as my 10 month old has never had cereal or a bottle!