Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-03-2007, 10:37 AM   #1
AudreyNola
Registered Users
Formerly: wyatt'smom
seller

formula advertisements at the peds

i just don't get it . aren't dr's supposed to be interested in what's healthiest? the formula industry is doing well, do peds really have to support them too? of course you can raise perfectly healthy babies on formula, but shouldn't a ped encourage what's best? my ped has been supportive of my nursing, but he shouldn't be suprised that the majority of his patients are ff when he's silently encouraging it! has anyone else noticed this at their ped? is this common?

Advertisement

Old 10-03-2007, 10:40 AM   #2
moonphishers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: formula advertisements at the peds

my ped is supportive of breastfeeding. If your ped claims to be then I'd ask them to remove the formula advertisements because as long as those are up they cannot be considered breasfeeding friendly... Acaully I'd offer to remove them for her.. (but you know she won't too much $ to be had for her office with them up )

Old 10-03-2007, 10:40 AM   #3
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:

I haven't noticed them lately, but my ped's office used to have Enfamil coupons in the waiting room.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:44 AM   #4
kimsclothkids
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I know that breastfeeding is best, but I really don't see that it is a big deal. My ped doesn't have any posters up at all, and does support bf, but I feel like there are so many ff these days, that they have to kindof cater to all of us. KWIM??
WOHM to NoahJacoband MeganLoving wife to my #1 man, Aaron I have a one of a kind family and a one of a kind life and I'm loving every minute of it!
kimsclothkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 11:40 AM   #5
AudreyNola
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimsclothkids View Post
I know that breastfeeding is best, but I really don't see that it is a big deal. My ped doesn't have any posters up at all, and does support bf, but I feel like there are so many ff these days, that they have to kindof cater to all of us. KWIM??
i am not of the opinion that patients and mama's who ff should be made to feel bad. i am of the opinion that in many instances ff has become a first resort, instead of a last. where i live there are particularly low bfing rates. i just feel like if a dr is going to advertise or condone the way you feed your child, it should be what is medically best and not just because it's best, but also because bfing rates are low. if anything needs to be promoted IMO it's bfing. i hope you kwim
Old 10-03-2007, 11:42 AM   #6
AudreyNola
Registered Users
seller

i think that's a good idea. i wish i had spoken to him about it and i will at our next visit .

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonphishers View Post
my ped is supportive of breastfeeding. If your ped claims to be then I'd ask them to remove the formula advertisements because as long as those are up they cannot be considered breasfeeding friendly... Acaully I'd offer to remove them for her.. (but you know she won't too much $ to be had for her office with them up )

Old 10-03-2007, 11:46 AM   #7
MamaZ
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

my ped's office doesn't have any fliers but they do ask if you are ffing and will give you free samples at every visit but that's only if you say you are ff.
MamaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 02:49 PM   #8
clarinetb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Never seen anything like that here.

There is a World Health Organization ban on the marketing of formula directly to mothers ... yet pediatricians think it is okay to put up their propaganda? They are directly helping the formula companies do this since they aren't suppose to do it themselves.

I don't know all the details about the rules, if someone does, I'd love to find out more.

Hey, next time you're there, you could always sit under the sign and breastfeed just for the heck of it
Old 10-03-2007, 03:01 PM   #9
clarinetb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Here is something, a litlte hard to read through:
http://www.ibfan.org/english/issue/code02.html

Couple of things of interest on the World Health Assembly Code:

Article 5.2 expands on this general principle: "Manufacturers and distributors should not provide, directly or indirectly, to pregnant women, mothers or members of their families, samples of products within the scope of this Code."

Article 5.3 covers retail outlets. It clarifies the ban on promotion by citing the following examples:

* "point of sale advertising
* giving of samples
* discount coupons, premiums, special sales,
loss-leaders and tie-in sales."

Article 6: Health care system

"No facility of a health care system should be used for the purpose of promoting infant formula or other products within the scope of this Code...."
Article 6.2

* No promotion of products in the health care system
* No free supplies in any part of the health care system
Old 10-03-2007, 06:50 PM   #10
Calideedle
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

IM sorry I just hate that! Yeah many Mothers FF for whatever reason but I dont want Formula ads all over the waiting room and coupons and samples, etc! I see enough FF ads in Magazines!

They shouldnt have those in the waiting room BUT if you tell them yes I FF then once inside the exam room they can pass out all their "stuff" to you

And yes that would be great if they catered to ALL Mothers ... yet they dont there are TONS of FF things and very rearly BFing stuff!

Last edited by Calideedle; 10-03-2007 at 06:52 PM.
Calideedle is offline   Reply With Quote